• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2009 9:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 25, 2005
627 posts
152 upvotes

DSLR Comparison Help!

Future Shop currently has these two cameras on sale as part of their 3-Days of Deals promotion and I need help deciding which one to get.

Canon Rebel XS with free carry case - $539
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Nikon D3000 - $549
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN


I read several reviews for both online and I have yet to be swayed towards one. I also went into FS and and handled both but neither were on so I wasn't able to properly test them out. I did talk to an employee about both and he strongly recommended the Canon just saying that overall it was a better camera.

I am a beginner looking to take better pictures then what I currently can with a P&S and I am also looking at taking some night courses to improve my skills.

Any help on making this decision would be greatly appreciated!
13 replies
Banned
User avatar
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
Azer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 11:46 pm
Future Shop currently has these two cameras on sale as part of their 3-Days of Deals promotion and I need help deciding which one to get.

Canon Rebel XS with free carry case - $539
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Nikon D3000 - $549
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN


I read several reviews for both online and I have yet to be swayed towards one. I also went into FS and and handled both but neither were on so I wasn't able to properly test them out. I did talk to an employee about both and he strongly recommended the Canon just saying that overall it was a better camera.

I am a beginner looking to take better pictures then what I currently can with a P&S and I am also looking at taking some night courses to improve my skills.

Any help on making this decision would be greatly appreciated!
50/50!

They're both great cameras but I find in the higher end the Nikon's are better. But for entry level you can't go wrong with either camera systems.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2006
970 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Azer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 11:46 pm
Future Shop currently has these two cameras on sale as part of their 3-Days of Deals promotion and I need help deciding which one to get.

Canon Rebel XS with free carry case - $539
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Nikon D3000 - $549
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN


I read several reviews for both online and I have yet to be swayed towards one. I also went into FS and and handled both but neither were on so I wasn't able to properly test them out. I did talk to an employee about both and he strongly recommended the Canon just saying that overall it was a better camera.

I am a beginner looking to take better pictures then what I currently can with a P&S and I am also looking at taking some night courses to improve my skills.

Any help on making this decision would be greatly appreciated!
Dell currently has XS on promotion for 489.99

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=A2419956
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 25, 2005
627 posts
152 upvotes
So with the Dell deal would you say the Canon is the better camera to get?
Member
Apr 30, 2007
450 posts
44 upvotes
Azer wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 8:36 am
So with the Dell deal would you say the Canon is the better camera to get?
D3000 is $499 at aden:

http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overview ... Category=6

Try both cameras instore and then figure out what works best for you. Both are great cameras.

Nikon has a much better warranty and bigger LCD. No AF motor in body, but there are many AF-S lens out there.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7950 posts
1022 upvotes
manyoo99 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 8:52 am
D3000 is $499 at aden:

http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overview ... Category=6

Try both cameras instore and then figure out what works best for you. Both are great cameras.

Nikon has a much better warranty and bigger LCD. No AF motor in body, but there are many AF-S lens out there.
I have mixed feelings about the D3000, it has some nice improvements over the D40/D60 with the 11-AF points and 3 inch LCD screen but for some reason the ISO performance of the D3000 is inferior compared to the D40/D60. The D3000 is only really usable up to ISO 800, whereas with the D40/D60 they are usuable up to ISO 1600.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
are you limiting yourself into these 2 big brand names? any reason behind it?

you should actually look into Olympus, Pentax, and Sony.

They are less $
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 25, 2005
627 posts
152 upvotes
These were the two that popped up the most for the price range I am looking at (<$600).

Also has to be for sale at Future Shop as I have a $200 gift card there. What models for those brands do you recommend?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7950 posts
1022 upvotes
Azer wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 3:08 pm
Also has to be for sale at Future Shop as I have a $200 gift card there. What models for those brands do you recommend?
That effectively limits your options to Canon, Nikon or Sony as FS only carries those three brands of DSLRs.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1142 posts
4 upvotes
Check out the olympus cameras. FS is a little expensive but you can PM.
I hope Life isn't one big joke because I don't get it.
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 25, 2005
627 posts
152 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 3:22 pm
That effectively limits your options to Canon, Nikon or Sony as FS only carries those three brands of DSLRs.
Ok ignoring this fact (Because I could always sell the gift card) what would you recommend? I'd like to stay under $600 but being the cheapest camera isn't the main point. I am looking for something easy to use but something I can grow with as I learn more.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2005
2359 posts
104 upvotes
Thunder Bay
This isn't helping but both these models will give good results if the user has experience, auto modes on these types of cameras (lower end big brand) are weak. some point and shoot users or new photographers buy into the dslr models for the first time thinking they know what they are doing and think that these models have auto mode to fall back on. It's not until later they realize they are not getting the best shots the camera can take.....
Jr. Member
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Azer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 11:46 pm
Future Shop currently has these two cameras on sale as part of their 3-Days of Deals promotion and I need help deciding which one to get.

Canon Rebel XS with free carry case - $539
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Nikon D3000 - $549
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN


I read several reviews for both online and I have yet to be swayed towards one. I also went into FS and and handled both but neither were on so I wasn't able to properly test them out. I did talk to an employee about both and he strongly recommended the Canon just saying that overall it was a better camera.

Also, I do not consider the D3000 much of a step up over the D60...just something to consider.

I am a beginner looking to take better pictures then what I currently can with a P&S and I am also looking at taking some night courses to improve my skills.

Any help on making this decision would be greatly appreciated!
I would actually prefer the D3000 over the Canon XS, but that's personal preference...and bias being a Nikon owner...and I would prefer the Sony A-700 over both of those models...but that's just bias...being a Sony owner.

Edit: Also, I bought a Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR from Best Buy for 479.99 + taxes with a 4 years Service Protection Plan ($150) if you'd like to buy them from me. I'm still within the 2 weeks return, but if another person wants to take advantage of my deal...meh.
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2006
970 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Azer wrote:
Oct 20th, 2009 6:38 pm
Ok ignoring this fact (Because I could always sell the gift card) what would you recommend? I'd like to stay under $600 but being the cheapest camera isn't the main point. I am looking for something easy to use but something I can grow with as I learn more.
the following is my own opinion, other may or may not agree

i thought about nikon entry level camera, but never able to pull the trigger just based on the fact that their recent entry level cameras have no built in focus motor, yet not all their lens lineup have motors in their lenses at this moment (for example 50 f1.8...)

for me this is a show stopper as it will reduce my lens selection (not everyone want to buy the latest and greatest, some old lenses are surprisingly good for its price). this will also reduce the usability as a backup body in the future...

of course, YMMV

Edit: plus i personally find that canon has a more selection of quality 2nd hand glasses comparing to other manufacturers

Top