• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2011 4:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2011
15 posts

DSLR Discount (Best Buy or Future Shop)

After many MANY ruined shots with my point & shoot camera I decided to purchase the new Rebel T3i and was wondering if there are any Best Buy or Future Shop employees out there that would like to do me a favor and offer me a discount?
37 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4244 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Honesty, bodies and body+kit combos don't have a very high margin on them, especially when on sale.

When I worked there, I could find better prices on photoprice.ca than what my employee discount gave me (cost + 5%).
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14931 posts
1903 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
+1 check prices and PM. Check places like Aden Camera.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
A more expensive DSLR camera does not automatically equate to better photos.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3391 posts
778 upvotes
Home
Personal opinion..if I had a tight budget for T3i, which would only fit for any significant discount, I would just get T2i without hesitation and save money.
Most of the deals on big camera shops already show $150-180 difference between T2i and T3i, with T3i's only advantages being rotating screen and a few minor softwares.
Since retailers would probably want to get rid of T2i in their stock, there may be further significant discounts available on T2i.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
i can also offer some help.

get the 60D to save yourself some $, its cheaper than a T3i with kit lens.
FS: Continental-Barum Bravuris 2 - 1x 255/35/18
I don't worship lenses, nor do I see the 3 primes as a "trinity"
there is only one Holy Trinity and they certainly aren't lenses
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3893 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
mk5gti wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 10:12 am
i can also offer some help.

get the 60D to save yourself some $, its cheaper than a T3i with kit lens.

When was the 60d cheaper than the t3i? I assume that's just the body? I could not find a 60d body for under 1k yet the t3i 18-55 kit is 960
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3893 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
ppb wrote:
Mar 7th, 2011 5:24 pm
After many MANY ruined shots with my point & shoot camera I decided to purchase the new Rebel T3i and was wondering if there are any Best Buy or Future Shop employees out there that would like to do me a favor and offer me a discount?

You would be better off getting discounts at camera stores instead of fs and bb. For example, I was able to price match visteks t3i price when I was at henrys. Also better for warranty purposes
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 12:32 pm
When was the 60d cheaper than the t3i? I assume that's just the body? I could not find a 60d body for under 1k yet the t3i 18-55 kit is 960

yeah, 60D vs T3i kit, the kit lens is worthless anyways. Vistek has the 60D for low $900, same as Aden. you are getting more from the camera. two wheels, larger buffer, top LCD, better body material, mic input control, better viewfinder, etc, etc, for less $ (minus the kit lens)
FS: Continental-Barum Bravuris 2 - 1x 255/35/18
I don't worship lenses, nor do I see the 3 primes as a "trinity"
there is only one Holy Trinity and they certainly aren't lenses
[OP]
Jan 3, 2011
15 posts
I was considering 60D since vistek.ca had it on sale for $920 (just body). But I'm so new to DSLR I wanted to first learn a bit and have an option of automatic preset shooting...as I learn I'll play with it more. That's why my thought is that rebel is the best to start with. T3i mostly due to video and swivel LCD (when I take picks of my little one & myself)...
Hubby wanted to get a camcorder but I thought DSLR gives us so much more.
It's just weird that nobody wants to budge on price even though before they always throw something in when you make a large purchase.
Dec 14, 2008
689 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
ppb wrote:
After many MANY ruined shots with my point & shoot camera...

Care to elaborate? Why were they ruined?
[OP]
Jan 3, 2011
15 posts
ieGod wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 3:28 pm
Care to elaborate? Why were they ruined?

Endless pictures ended up being blurry even though we made sure to keep a VERY steady hand...
Not to mention every time our little one moves the whole picture ends up blurry.
So I'm thinking to invest in good camera we could have for years to come instead of constantly upgrading our point & shoot collection.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2011
15 posts
Ah yes and one thing that annoyed the heck out of me...taking forever to take a picture. By the time camera is ready the moment is gone...
Sep 28, 2006
41 posts
Vancouver
ppb wrote:

If cost is a concern, I would give serious consideration to the Sony Alpha line. Sony DSLR's accept Minolta AF lenses. I set on this path last November after deciding that I wanted better photos of our vacations. For the price of a mid level Canon or Nikon, I have a new A500kit and have accumilated 6 nice used lenses. FS have discontinued the Sony line and it looks like BB is on the same path so you may luck out on a closeout.
Dec 14, 2008
689 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
ppb wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 3:43 pm
Endless pictures ended up being blurry even though we made sure to keep a VERY steady hand...
Not to mention every time our little one moves the whole picture ends up blurry.
So I'm thinking to invest in good camera we could have for years to come instead of constantly upgrading our point & shoot collection.

Do you understand why they were blurry though, as opposed to chalking it up to a bad camera? If you get a new DSLR and shoot indoors with low lighting and aren't using manual modes, chances are you're going to end up with blurry shots as well. It was likely blurry because your camera was trying to use a shutter speed slower than what you can get away with for hand held shots. A tripod would help significantly.