Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1184 posts
149 upvotes

DSLR Recommendation

I'm planning this purchase, and as a starting point for my research I thought I would react out for some advice on what camera/len's, etc to purchase. I have a modest $1000 budget. Thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Futureshop/Bestbuy package.

XSi + 18-55 IS Lens + 55-250 IS Lens.

That package will last you a very long time, as most people recommend it for beginners/starters.
It'll come to less than $1000. About $800 or less if you find it on sale I believe.

If you want an step up from the built in flash, which isn't very good, and drains batteries faster, look for a Canon 270EX.
It's nice and small, and would go great with the package.

With on sale memory cards added to the whole package, it should cost you less than $1000, if you buy the right stuff.

Right stuff, as in, know where to look, and where to go for cheap memory cards, or the flash.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
camzie wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 12:17 am
I'm planning this purchase, and as a starting point for my research I thought I would react out for some advice on what camera/len's, etc to purchase. I have a modest $1000 budget. Thanks
Please search. This has been discussed over and over again.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
I am a Canon guy myself, but i recommand the D90, body alone will cost you $900, pick up some used lense, you will be somewhere close to your budget ;)

i almost want to sell everything i have for Canon and jump to the D90. but i end up staying with Canon with the T1i just becoz i do'nt fight with my own wallet

with the D90, thats more than you need for a while. awesome camera!!!
Aug 10, 2008
970 posts
82 upvotes
You should consider the new Pentax K-X that is coming out. In addition to the 12MP, it can also shoot 720p HD video. The listed price is $699 with a 18-50mm zoom lens I believe. It was available at FS but now is OOS. Several vendors in the Toronto area offer this for $649

Pentax DSLR is the only brand out there that is compatible to all the lenses that has ever been made in the past several decades. Tons of new and used lens out there for the Pentax cameras at very affordable price.
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
manteiv wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 11:22 am
Pentax DSLR is the only brand out there that is compatible to all the lenses that has ever been made in the past several decades. Tons of new and used lens out there for the Pentax cameras at very affordable price.
Actually that's partly incorrect. Pentax is not the only one. There's the Leica M mount as well as the Nikon F mount. That's the only thing I can think of right now LOL
Oct 7, 2009
58 posts
1 upvote
Kingston
It really depends on what you will be using your DSLR for. Will it be for portraits? Low light photography? Astrophotography? Sports? All-around camera? These things will end up determining what features are more important in the body than others.

Also, contrary to point and shoot cameras, lenses will have more impact than the body itself. A body will determine what lenses you'll be using and once you have a collection of lenses it's easier to replace the body without having to purchase a whole new bunch of lenses.

That being said I too would recommend the Pentax K-x as a good starting camera. It has in-body stabilisation that will work with all those hundreds of lenses it is compatible with (no IS/VR tax). Lenses can be found at bargain prices and are usually high quality. As manteiv stated it can record 720p video if needed. It also has a fairly speedy burst mode if you need it for action photography. It has a great, clean sensor that does excellent in low light shooting (as good as the K-7 that has arguably the cleanest sensor around).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1184 posts
149 upvotes
thanks for all the feedback, still researching, but am leaning towards the pentax after putting it beside the xsi, t1i and d5000
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1507 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
tiijei wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 11:39 am
Actually that's partly incorrect. Pentax is not the only one. There's the Leica M mount as well as the Nikon F mount. That's the only thing I can think of right now LOL
Is there an SLR that uses the M mount ?
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
NuggyBuggy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 1:26 pm
Is there an SLR that uses the M mount ?
nope, all of them are rangefinders.