• Dec 9th, 2017 2:31 am
[OP]
May 3, 2015
307 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON

DSLR Sensor Cleaning Kit

Hey guys,

I believe that my DSLR's sensor has dust or something on it, as the pictures I'm taking keep having little black dots on it. Does anyone have a recommended cleaning kit for this/where to get it?

Also tips/tricks for the cleaning process are also appreciated.

Much appreciated!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3805 posts
1427 upvotes
MikeZ13 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:43 pm
Hey guys,

I believe that my DSLR's sensor has dust or something on it, as the pictures I'm taking keep having little black dots on it. Does anyone have a recommended cleaning kit for this/where to get it?

Also tips/tricks for the cleaning process are also appreciated.

Much appreciated!
Might be mold. Some sensors have glass shield in front of it. If it does, then you're in luck as cleaning it yourself is as easy as finding the combination of setting to get the camera to open it up for the shot. If it doesn't have a shield in front of it then don't even try on your own.
Avatar removed for rule violation - Mods
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10096 posts
3871 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You really want a few sensor cleaning tools over just a 'kit'.

For cleaning, I would recommend that you start off with any no-touch solution first so the internal camera cleaning mode is a good place to start since you already have it and it's free. Run that a few times as see if the black specs move. If not, then go out and get a BIG dust blower (not compressed air but a hand powered blower) and use that to see if you can blow it off. If not, then you want to move to something that actually contacts the sensor - start with the dry products first (ie no solution or wet wipes) and then if that doesn't remove it, then move to the wet stuff.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3759 posts
933 upvotes
Vancouver
There have been a lot of posts here about sensor cleaning over the last 2 years and I cannot think that anything has radically changed with the tools or techniques. Use the force Luke!

Key words:
sensor cleaning
blower
electrostatic brush
wet swab

dslr-sensor-mirror-box-cleaning-service-1062700/
cleaning-my-sensor-989139/
air-bulb-blowers-932948/
sensor-cleaning-911661/
camera-sensor-cleaning-2100507/
need-help-cleaning-my-nikon-d7000-2006325/
cleaning-my-sensor-1933025/