Art and Photography

DSLR Software for Image Touch-ups/light edits (RAW & JPEG) for Beginners?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 3:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 12, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes

DSLR Software for Image Touch-ups/light edits (RAW & JPEG) for Beginners?

Hey RFD: quick question for you - Do you have any recommendations for a user friendly image editing software that could handle light touch ups/edits for specifically RAW image types?

I'm new to photography and hoping to start shooting in a RAW image format. I've spent a few hours looking at some popular editing software and discovered a few like PaintShop Pro 2018 Ultimate, Affinity, Gimp to name a few, and then of course the various products Adobe offers but with all of their marketing (and admittedly my lack-of experience Smiling Face With Sunglasses) it's hard to tell the features I actually need apart from the "bonus" features that I'll likely never use.

Does anyone have any software they feel might be a good fit for a beginner who is fairly new to both taking photos and editing them?

What (I think) I'm looking for is your basic software that will allow me to do some light touch-ups/editing to a RAW image. While I love having all the bells and whistles, I'm sure I could get by without them. In a perfect world I'd be spending a little time (avg. 10 minutes or less) tweaking each photo to really make it pop. I'll gladly pay for a premium solution like Lightroom if it's a wise purchase, although I'm assuming this would be a complete overkill for me; I view photography as more of a hobby, something I'll do every other weekend, the odd weeknight, or while traveling. I definitely do not view it as a prospective career or source of income.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or recommendations! Thanks in advance.

- Axe
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3920 posts
1180 upvotes
Calgary
Lightroom

There is no other alternative that is friendlier or better. Lightroom is extremely user friendly and very intuitive, and the most powerful.

Absolutely looking for free? Use your camera editing software or one of these:

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best ... -lightroom

Each of these have pros, but also a lot of cons. Try and see if you wish to only use it for fun. Just know that it does not replace or get necessarily the same results. There is a reason why Lightroom is the go to in the industry (despite a lot of hate that Adobe can get).
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3484 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm.... I've never found Lightroom to be intuitive. Tried a couple of times to move to it from ACDSee Pro and there was always something that held me back from completing the transition. One was the way it managed files a few years ago.

18 years and 100,000+ images later, I still use ACDSee Pro, now known as ACDSee Photo Studio Professional. It also has some quirks in how it manages files but it does handle RAW images and has a non-destructive methodology.

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1279 posts
216 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Use the software the camera maker provides, such as DPP for Canon.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7241 posts
1216 upvotes
For Sony shooter you can download Capture One Express for free.

But if op is willing to pay for one, I agree that there is still no real replacement for Lightroom, is not only a powerful editor, but an organizer and web / print publisher. Yes, it may be overkill for ops current need but the advantage if you ever feel you need to do more, and most people I feel eventually do, it is ready with minimum effort to learn the extra. On that, LR is pretty easy to learn and the number of free tutorials online for every topic are unparalleled.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Dec 3, 2007
341 posts
27 upvotes
Is Adobe CC the only way to get lightroom? I don't mind paying for it but I don't want to subscribe to a monthly payment system. Would rather pay once and have it.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2283 posts
879 upvotes
GTA
+1 for Lightroom.

I've tried several other software programs but have found Lightroom to be the best (IMHO).

I started using it two or three years ago and was struggling to learn it but found many instructive videos on YouTube - Highly recommend Anthony Morganti's many, many videos - I watched quite a few of them and took notes and soon found my comfort level rising. He has a no nonsense / practical approach that gets you up and running quickly.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7241 posts
1216 upvotes
If you want the latest edition / update, subscription is now the only way since Adobe no longer release stand alone versions.

Some people get by with LR 5/6 but eventually they wouldn't support the latest cameras or you will need to convert the files before importing, so a bit more work and you miss out on updates and new features.
4zim wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 7:24 pm
Is Adobe CC the only way to get lightroom? I don't mind paying for it but I don't want to subscribe to a monthly payment system. Would rather pay once and have it.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1113 posts
313 upvotes
I’ve mainly used PS and PS Elements for years. Elements is robust enough for most users and there are lots of free online training. The best, Lynda.com may be free through your library system. That said, I switched to Affinity Photo and have found it a bargain for the power. A $70 one time purchase rather than the pay forever Adobe model. It needs a management tool but the editor is great. I’d suggest a course through Udemy.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3794 posts
370 upvotes
Lightroom is a flaming turd
crashes, poorly optimized (though last few minor revisions has gotten a lot better), still no camera colour profiles for DJI drones that've been out for 2 years, going towards tablet-like UI
but I cannot recommend a better product because I never bothered learning the other fully-fledged programs
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1113 posts
313 upvotes
Was browsing this morning and came across this discount link to Affinity Photo through an ephotozine review. Price is $51.99 Canadian. They do offer a free trial download.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2701 posts
325 upvotes
Vaughan
twitchyzero wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 3:14 am
Lightroom is a flaming turd
crashes, poorly optimized (though last few minor revisions has gotten a lot better), still no camera colour profiles for DJI drones that've been out for 2 years, going towards tablet-like UI
but I cannot recommend a better product because I never bothered learning the other fully-fledged programs
The only time i find lightroom crashes, is when you try to export to many images to jpg at the same time. I try to stick to maybe 20 or 30 at most when exporting to jpg. I've never had a crash since i started doing this. I have no other issues with LR including unloading a full 32gb sd card to into LR. I haven't had LR crash for a few years now.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3794 posts
370 upvotes
it's a lot less crash prone if I turn-off MSI afterburner... it doesn't like GPU overclocks when cropping at ultra-high res
it was poorly built for Ryzen architecture, but seems to run a lot smoother now (16-cores)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jan 2, 2013
96 posts
72 upvotes
Leaf nation
Adobe Photography plan costs me $15.02 cdn per month. That includes both Lightroom and Photoshop. I doen't think Ive ever had issues with lightroom and can honestly say I don't think Ive had it crash before. Tons of YouTube tutorials out there make it a pretty simple program to use imo.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3523 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Luminar is pretty easy to use if you are familiar with Instagram/Snapseed. Also lets you further tweak like Lightroom if you want.