• Jul 21st, 2017 1:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 15, 2010
325 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto

Dual Sim: Talk/Text & Data Plans?

I just bought a OnePlus 5. With this phone having dual sim support, are there any talk/text-only and data-only plans I can combine for the cheapest total? I'm looking for at least 4gb of data. Thanks!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
qrich4three wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 11:35 am
I just bought a OnePlus 5. With this phone having dual sim support, are there any talk/text-only and data-only plans I can combine for the cheapest total? I'm looking for at least 4gb of data. Thanks!
The best combination would be
1. Data $15 Fido tablet plan 3 Gb a month + $10 for 4 Gb a month
2. Chatr $20 unlimited local call
3. Use the data to run the textme app from the Playstore which will provide you with a free local # (say 647), free incoming call and free text. Outgoing call costs 2 cents/minutes almost world wide.
3. If you are roaming away from local calling area, use hangout dialer to call back (free for all US/Can#) .
Push comes to shove, you can try out " textme " without Chatr initially. See if that works for you.
So we are looking at $25 plus tax in total
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1167 posts
285 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:18 pm
The best combination would be
1. Data $15 Fido tablet plan 3 Gb a month + $10 for 4 Gb a month
Tablet plan is $25 per month for 7 GB data? That's amazing. Any tricks to get this?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:18 pm
Tablet plan is $25 per month for 7 GB data? That's amazing. Any tricks to get this?
No. It is $15 for 3 Gb ($15) and $10 for 1 extra Gb. I marked it very clearly that it costs $25 for 4 Gb as the OP specified his requirement for 4 Gb
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1167 posts
285 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 4:59 pm
No. It is $15 for 3 Gb ($15) and $10 for 1 extra Gb. I marked it very clearly that it costs $25 for 4 Gb as the OP specified his requirement for 4 Gb
That makes sense. So $25 for 4 GB...still an amazing deal.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1019 posts
42 upvotes
There's a another RFDer with two $15/3gb Fido sim cards in his dual sim phone! I thought that was brilliant!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
batcave wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:29 pm
There's a another RFDer with two $15/3gb Fido sim cards in his dual sim phone! I thought that was brilliant!
I can see the rationale of that ($30 for 6 LTE Gb)
For newer dual SIM phone it is a matter of making a couple of taps to switch the SIMs. But for older one, users have to manually take the data SIM to SIM#1 as SIM#2 cannot do data at all.
Fido has now put a stop as the tablet SIM has to be associated with another Fido account (that was not the case back last year)
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1019 posts
42 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:41 pm
I can see the rationale of that ($30 for 6 LTE Gb)
For newer dual SIM phone it is a matter of making a couple of taps to switch the SIMs. But for older one, users have to manually take the data SIM to SIM#1 as SIM#2 cannot do data at all.
Fido has now put a stop as the tablet SIM has to be associated with another Fido account (that was not the case back last year)
OP has a OnePlus 5. I assume that is the latest and would have such flexibility.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3754 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary
My Huawei Mate 9 can switch between either sim slots, the active sim will have 4G. When I am near my 3gb limit on one fido sim I deactivate it and activate the other sim. Toggling it via built in software is easy peasy. Its really what I wanted years ago with Fido when they offered 6gb data for $30, but must be attached to a voice plan which I didn't want. Having dual sim offers great flexibility. I can just as easily switch out one of the fido sims with my 6gb LTE freedom mobile plan, but I have no need for that.

I use the TextNow app to get an actual phone number that I can be reached at. I use the associated phone number so I can get authenticated for WhatsApp and Wechat, afterwards the dialer is hidden so I can't accidentally text and dial out. I actually blocked outgoing text and dialing functions just to be doubly safe. May block incoming calls and text later as lately been receiving a lot of unknown incoming calls.

I use the fido app to keep track of my data usage. Honestly get a data plan first and see how your usage is, and see if voice quality is acceptable for you via TextNow, then consider adding on a basic voice plan if you really need it.

Oh, and I can have both sims active and set which sim gets 4G via a toggle setting.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
plucky duck wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:59 pm
I use the fido app to keep track of my data usage. Honestly get a data plan first and see how your usage is, and see if voice quality is acceptable for you via TextNow, then consider adding on a basic voice plan if you really need it.
I use Textme instead. Basically the same idea but with a huge plus in the text area.
Textme comes with a local Canadian # of your choice, free text and free incoming call. If you feel like paying for voice call that costs 2 cents a minute almost to worldwide location. If you cheat, you can text the other parties to call you back.
The fun part is in sending text in novel manner in addition to sending it through the app in the cell (like textNow).
You can type out long articles on full size keyboard and send text to many parties instead (via easy copy/paste operation) after logging on with your desktop, laptop or netbook (Linux or Windows) to your account at TextmeUp.com
On the desktop you can see all contacts and previous text to each of them. And you can text them wherever you are (worldwide) on your desktop/laptop
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
May 5, 2008
761 posts
171 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:32 pm
I use Textme instead. Basically the same idea but with a huge plus in the text area.
Textme comes with a local Canadian # of your choice, free text and free incoming call. If you feel like paying for voice call that costs 2 cents a minute almost to worldwide location. If you cheat, you can text the other parties to call you back.
The fun part is in sending text in novel manner in addition to sending it through the app in the cell (like textNow).
You can type out long articles on full size keyboard and send text to many parties instead (via easy copy/paste operation) after logging on with your desktop, laptop or netbook (Linux or Windows) to your account at TextmeUp.com
On the desktop you can see all contacts and previous text to each of them. And you can text them wherever you are (worldwide) on your desktop/laptop
I want to try this text me thing, but there are two apps from the same company on google play,
Textme Up and Text Me. Could not figure out whats the differerence. Which one are u using?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:19 am
I want to try this text me thing, but there are two apps from the same company on google play,
Textme Up and Text Me. Could not figure out whats the differerence. Which one are u using?
The web access (from browser) is textmeup.com. The app I have installed in textme. Get a free local # first on your cell. The two are probably the same. Test sound quality by calling in that new number ( free). Do not call out yet.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
May 5, 2008
761 posts
171 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:26 am
The web access (from browser) is textmeup.com. The app I have installed in textme. Get a free local # first on your cell. The two are probably the same. Test sound quality by calling in that new number ( free). Do not call out yet.
Thank you! So, how is textme up app different from plain textme? It allows for more functionality , like multiple international numbers etc?

Also the users on google play complain that both apps are heavily infested wih ads? Is it a valid concern?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:29 pm
Thank you! So, how is textme up app different from plain textme? It allows for more functionality , like multiple international numbers etc?

Also the users on google play complain that both apps are heavily infested wih ads? Is it a valid concern?
1. textme is the app. If you type textme.com, it is somebody else that has no relation which causes a bit of confusion.
2. Thus your web access is through textmeup.com not textme.com. I trust they lose a lot of business this way LOL
3. The ad is their source of income. For small phone user, it could be an issue. If you text through the web (like a desktop with the brower) to text, there is zero issue as the adblock will take care of the ads. Nothing pops up

Edit Jul 20: New changes made the last couple of days. The app "textme" is being phased out and people should install "textmeup" intead. This makes sense as textme.com belongs to somebody else. All previous texts and contacts are intact in the web version (accessible in Window/Linux desktop, netbook, laptop...) as if both app were the same.
Last edited by danieltoronto on Jul 18th, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Dec 15, 2009
741 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
I used zoomer for 400m, unlim text and 2 GB for $36. Then sim2 gets my $7.50 Fido data only loyalty plan.
In a few months the zoomer will be unlim calling, same price (assuming the loyalty plan persists).

So 5 GB, unlim talk/text for $43.50 monthly. Add $7.50 if you can't get the Fido loyalty data plan ($15 for 3GB instead)