[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1738 posts
154 upvotes
Gta

Dubai vacation at Christmas

Hey all,
Just looking for advise . Me and hubby are planning trip to Dubai at Christmas time ( tentative date December 25 to Jan 3). I know it’s peak season but I work for a school board and that’s my vacation time.
Hubbys is looking after airfare while I’m looking after hotel and activities . I have no idea where to start . I’ve done some research but have little idea of where is a good centrally located place to stay . Don’t want to spend 400 night for hotels ...but willing to do up to 300 . I’ve booked 2 hotels around the “ internet city “ area( if I’m remember the name correctly) and they are within walking distance to the metro ( ended up being 200-250 a night )
So any suggestions ? I like to shop, husband likes to eat, neither of us care about going to the beach. And is 8 days more than enough? Or too short?
Thanks in advance
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5117 posts
1932 upvotes
Personally, I would never make Dubai the "destination" but more so a place to do a stopover for a couple of days on the way to somewhere else. 8 days is way more than enough IMO. As a shopper, you'll probably love it as that seems to be a central theme but as you don't like sand/beach I think you could probably get bored before 8 days are up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1738 posts
154 upvotes
Gta
Conquistador wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 3:32 pm
Personally, I would never make Dubai the "destination" but more so a place to do a stopover for a couple of days on the way to somewhere else. 8 days is way more than enough IMO. As a shopper, you'll probably love it as that seems to be a central theme but as you don't like sand/beach I think you could probably get bored before 8 days are up.
Thanks. It’s is kind of a stop over fir husband who needs to travel on to Pakistan. We both also want to do tne touristy things and visit some of the mosques. Just need to figure out a “ reasonably “ priced hotel. I figured 8 days was more than enough but I hate to travel all that way and not take advantage ( we will probably fly first into Abu Dhabi ...but I think there’s even less to do there )
Apr 23, 2008
318 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Checkout Golden Sands apartment Hotel. I believe the location is reasonable; not very far from Al-Fahidi street (shops) and the 'abra' (boat) station to cross to the other side (Deira) of Dubai.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1875 posts
977 upvotes
Must has been discussed about Dubai here:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-ch ... #p29789124

I'm sure you can find the laundry list of "touristy" things on other websites/travel guides... off the top of my head there's the off-road drives over the sand dunes, Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall (with the musical fountains), the powerboat tour of the Marina and Palm Islands (highly recommended!), the gold souk, abra boat across the creek (I'd call this Dubai's version of the Staten Island Ferry in NYC or the Star Ferry in HK -- cheap, and you get a nice view)...
Going in December you're avoiding the heat... Dubai in winter is like Los Angeles in the spring or fall.

This is the powerboat tour I went on: https://theyellowboats.com/dubai-tour-90/

If you and/or your hubby are into thrill rides I'd say go check out Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi and try the world's fastest roller coaster. I wish I had time to go there...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1573 posts
723 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
queenofhearts wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 3:12 pm
Hey all,
Just looking for advise . Me and hubby are planning trip to Dubai at Christmas time ( tentative date December 25 to Jan 3). I know it’s peak season but I work for a school board and that’s my vacation time.
Hubbys is looking after airfare while I’m looking after hotel and activities . I have no idea where to start . I’ve done some research but have little idea of where is a good centrally located place to stay . Don’t want to spend 400 night for hotels ...but willing to do up to 300 . I’ve booked 2 hotels around the “ internet city “ area( if I’m remember the name correctly) and they are within walking distance to the metro ( ended up being 200-250 a night )
So any suggestions ? I like to shop, husband likes to eat, neither of us care about going to the beach. And is 8 days more than enough? Or too short?
Thanks in advance
Going to UAE for 9 nights/10 days too leaving a few days after Christmas. Meeting family from Italy there & my sister is there with my brother in law on business for the next 12 months.

Staying 4 nights on Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi
Staying 3 nights on The Palm in Dubai
Staying 2 nights out in the desert New Years

Having been there before, would def break up your stay between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Really how much time needed is a personal choice.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1401 posts
254 upvotes
Ontario
There is lots to do there and its an amazing place to see. Its a world class city. Lots of shopping.
Abu Dhabi is older and not as nice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1738 posts
154 upvotes
Gta
Thanks to all of you who responded! Great information here...now I will start researching more!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1738 posts
154 upvotes
Gta
everylittlecent wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:14 pm
try the hop on hop off bus tour. there are 2 lines and it covers most of the city in detail. transfer points are at Dubai mall and emirates mall so you can a few hrs there as well.
Thanks. The hotel I have tentatively booked is right around a metro station. From what I can tell the metro is very convenient and clean.
Oct 24, 2014
1 posts
Ottawa, ON
8 days may be more than enough, you can consider going to Abu Dhabi, which is about 1.5 hours away, for a day or two . Abu Dhabi has a Louvre museum and Ferrari World theme park.

For activities in Dubai, I would avoid paying over 300 AED to go up to the Burj Khalifa's observation deck for 30 minutes, instead book an afternoon tea at the at.mosphere lounge for 350 to 500 AED per person depending on the menu selection. The lounge is on the 122 level of the Burj Khalifa. The ticket price to go up the observation deck is not fixed, price depends on availability, time and date.

"Internet City" is far from city center. Try hotels around the Dubai Creek area, which is Dubai central location. The souks/markets are along the creek. Hotels along Sheikh Zayed Road are also good choices because the Dubai Metro runs along this road.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)