Home & Garden

Locked: Duct Sealing - Updated -Aeroseal

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2014 6:18 pm
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
All dampers are opened prior to the sealing process. This basically allows the sealant to skim over without adhering.

Electronic dampers are different and must be isolated prior to sealing.

There is no problem with adding or changing duct work. The only issue is that the section of new or modified duct will not be sealed. In order to maintain a relatively efficient seal the sheet metal workers (or the homeowner) should tape the new joints (metal tape not duct tape) prior to any drywall being replaced. It would not be cost effective to re-seal the system unless a majority of the ducts were being replaced.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
Aeroseal pleased to announce the opening of Winnipeg Aeroseal for any homeowners looking for a solution to air flow and balancing please contact me directly.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
For more information and case studies on Aeroseal you can visit the Canadian site at www.aerosealcanada.com or the USA website at www.aeroseal.com lots of great technical information supported with data.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2693 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to give a quick update on my experience so far.

Michael (and his wife) from York GTA Aeroseal came to my house yesterday to perform the free leak test. I now understand why the leak test was only free for a limited time and I'm glad I jumped on it. Michael and his wife worked for almost 3 hours to complete the test. That included sealing and plugging all my registers, cutting a hole in my main supply duct, blocking the remaining duct between the hole and the furnace, attaching the blower, testing to see if all registers were properly sealed with his fan running, doing the actual test, getting an unusually high number, rechecking all the registers, rechecking the blower connection, running the test again, going around the house to figure out where the problem might be, disconnecting the blower, covering the hole in the ductwork, and then cleaning up and putting all the equipment back in the car.

Fantastic service and we were able to locate a couple of trouble areas (we could feel air coming out of electrical outlets and under baseboards with the registers blocked) where I need to investigate the reason for some bigger leaks. No point in running Aeroseal through the ducts if there is a big hole or gap in the ductwork somewhere.

My next step is to get Michael to come back with a camera so that we can get a better idea of what exactly the problems are. Then I need to get access to those areas and fix the problems before Michael will come in to apply the Aeroseal.

Btw, my leak test showed leakage of just over 400 CFM. Michael had expected it to be in the 200 range, so that's why we figured something must be wrong.

I've been a bit of a skeptic about this product, but I've been unable to find anything negative about it and the service I received yesterday was exceptional, so I'm on the bandwagon now.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
Fantastic news Little Tim and much appreciated once consumers see the process and results more and more will jump on the bandwagon the technology works.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Little Tim wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 3:27 pm
Just wanted to give a quick update on my experience so far.

Michael (and his wife) from York GTA Aeroseal came to my house yesterday to perform the free leak test. I now understand why the leak test was only free for a limited time and I'm glad I jumped on it. Michael and his wife worked for almost 3 hours to complete the test. That included sealing and plugging all my registers, cutting a hole in my main supply duct, blocking the remaining duct between the hole and the furnace, attaching the blower, testing to see if all registers were properly sealed with his fan running, doing the actual test, getting an unusually high number, rechecking all the registers, rechecking the blower connection, running the test again, going around the house to figure out where the problem might be, disconnecting the blower, covering the hole in the ductwork, and then cleaning up and putting all the equipment back in the car.

Fantastic service and we were able to locate a couple of trouble areas (we could feel air coming out of electrical outlets and under baseboards with the registers blocked) where I need to investigate the reason for some bigger leaks. No point in running Aeroseal through the ducts if there is a big hole or gap in the ductwork somewhere.

My next step is to get Michael to come back with a camera so that we can get a better idea of what exactly the problems are. Then I need to get access to those areas and fix the problems before Michael will come in to apply the Aeroseal.

Btw, my leak test showed leakage of just over 400 CFM. Michael had expected it to be in the 200 range, so that's why we figured something must be wrong.

I've been a bit of a skeptic about this product, but I've been unable to find anything negative about it and the service I received yesterday was exceptional, so I'm on the bandwagon now.
If you look at the Aeroseal websites, in the US and Canada, a leakage of 400 cfm is not unusual and after sealing they are greatly reduced. Having said that though, if you are quite certain that the main leak point is a rather large hole or break n the connections, Aeroseal would probably not seal that. It is most effective with small cracks and openings, I think the largest it is abe to seal is 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
Aeroseal will now offer a $129.00 Duct Leakage Analysis at your home the published rate is $249.00 .

This offer is available to all RedFlagDeal members, We would like to limit this offer to homeowners who are sincerely looking for a solution to hot or cold rooms , poor air flow and consumers looking to save money off your energy bill.

This test takes 3 hours to complete and is very labor intense if you decide to get the Seal on the same day we will waive the $129.00 fee.

We would also request that you be present for the entire diagnostic so you can observe the test and review the energy savings potential.

Thanks
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
The special for the Duct Leakage test is only for Toronto , Calgary and Ottawa . If you are in another city please contact me directly.

alan
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2693 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 6:14 pm
If you look at the Aeroseal websites, in the US and Canada, a leakage of 400 cfm is not unusual and after sealing they are greatly reduced. Having said that though, if you are quite certain that the main leak point is a rather large hole or break n the connections, Aeroseal would probably not seal that. It is most effective with small cracks and openings, I think the largest it is abe to seal is 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).
You're right, 400 CFM doesn't seem unusual. But, I guess Michael is experienced enough that he had a hunch that some bigger hole or break was to blame. It certainly seemed worth investigating further before proceeding with the Aeroseal application. Hopefully scoping with the camera will lead us to exactly where the problem is.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
We are seeing homes with CFM over 500 , the average is between 300 and 400 CFM. We can usually bring that down to 7 to 20 CFM.

We did a home in Calgary last week with CFM of over 800 was a very large home , we brought it down to 98 , probably some larger issues that we cannot find but will do a camera scan to see what else we can find.

alan
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
osgoode3 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 12:12 pm
We are seeing homes with CFM over 500 , the average is between 300 and 400 CFM. We can usually bring that down to 7 to 20 CFM.

We did a home in Calgary last week with CFM of over 800 was a very large home , we brought it down to 98 , probably some larger issues that we cannot find but will do a camera scan to see what else we can find.

alan
Wouldn't adding smoke or something in your pressure test help you find the big leaks?
I know when you inject the sealant to the process, the house got all fogged up from the sealant flowing out of all the holes and seams.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
I'm currently looking into smoke machines to assist in certain test
applications; however, the smoke will not help us pinpoint the exact area
given that the smoke will travel along the wall or floor space where the
duct runs. The smoke will escape through duct holes/gaps running in the
wall and floor areas and then generally only escape into the house
(conditioned areas) wherever there are holes such as outlets, cable runs,
light fixtures and pipe runs. Yes, the same will happen with the sealant.
Generally, most of the sealant making it to finished areas of the house will
travel up from the basement or furnace room (when unfinished) or very likely
where renovations have occurred and wiring or piping was incorrectly run
through ductwork. Sealant fog is easily cleared in the house by opening
windows as well as using air scrubbers during the seal process.

Knowing the general vicinity of a leak would definitely be helpful but a
camera inspection is really the only way to confirm any significant gaps in
the ductwork. Homeowners will realize that any ducts with poor airflow are
the first indication of problem runs before we even start the tests. I would
guess that a smoke machine would be extremely helpful in less than five
percent of all homes.

Please understand that the Aeroseal process seals holes quite large in size
(up to 5/8ths of an inch) allowing us to seal ductwork without having to
remove and repair drywall.

This being said I would definitely find a smoke machine useful in tests
where houses have ducts in attics or crawl spaces or houses with severe
leakage.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
New Aeroseal Dealer opening up in British Columbia .

If anyone is looking for a great business opportunity in Canada please contact me

Alan
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
Our Toronto dealer will continue to offer the $149.00 duct leakage test for the next 30 days please email me directly at alan@aerosealcanada.com to set up an appointment you must be present while the test is being performed.
Jan 10, 2010
347 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville
New dealers coming soon to Vancouver Island , Vancouver, Regina and Quebec
× < >