Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Duet app 50% off, turn your ipad (or Iphone) into a second Retina display for your PC or Laptop - $14

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2016 1:30 pm
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Duet app 50% off, turn your ipad (or Iphone) into a second Retina display for your PC or Laptop - $14

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/duet-di ... 54064?mt=8

pretty slick, only $14 right now

a good app if you have an ipad lying around that doesn't get much use, make it into a retina second screen!

Last edited by Daydas on Dec 24th, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
33 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1423 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
thanked. not sure if its hot but i purchased it regardless. Recently bought an iPad Pro 9.7 for everyday use. This app could be great on the go!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1849 posts
2464 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
From the iTunes page: "Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later."
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redfd123 wrote: From the iTunes page: "Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later."
Current iOS version is 10, so iOS 8 is a 2 year old operating system. It is not a problem since most people would have upgraded to the latest version of iOS by now.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1849 posts
2464 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
Daydas wrote: Current iOS version is 10, so iOS 8 is a 2 year old operating system. It is not a problem since most people would have upgraded to the latest version of iOS by now.
Not everyone buys a new >$500 device every year or two (or can afford to do so). Many people are using "obsolete" one- or two- year old devices that function just fine, but that aren't upgradeable to newer OSs (or that choose not to upgrade because they have them jailbroken and/or configured exactly how they want them or functions are removed or modified).

Since you make it sound like iOS 8 being two years old is a bad thing, here's some context: Windows 10 will be one and a half years old next month and Windows 8 is already almost five years old.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3363 posts
3732 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still rocking an original iPad 1, guess I'm SOL :(
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redfd123 wrote: Not everyone buys a new >$500 device every year or two (or can afford to do so). Many people are using "obsolete" one- or two- year old devices that function just fine, but that aren't upgradeable to newer OSs (or that choose not to upgrade because they have them jailbroken and/or configured exactly how they want them or functions are removed or modified).

Since you make it sound like iOS 8 being two years old is a bad thing, here's some context: Windows 10 will be one and a half years old next month and Windows 8 is already almost five years old.
You are taking my post out of context, I never said that you have to buy a $500 device every year or two so calm down little nerd, you are getting worked up over nothing.

For example, I have an iPad Air, that is several years old, it runs iOS 10 and can use this app just fine, it is a 3 year old tablet and i will probably never need to upgrade it at the rate apple is not innovating. So imagine a tablet that is so old that all it can run is iOS 8, that means such an old tablet will still be able to use this modern app. therefore redfd123 complaint about needing a newer tablet is not really valid. (To use your windows example, if some newb complained that "requires windows 98 or later" to run the software, that would be foolish like redfd's complaint and your complaint too.)
Last edited by Daydas on Dec 25th, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3254 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
redfd123 wrote: Not everyone buys a new >$500 device every year or two (or can afford to do so). Many people are using "obsolete" one- or two- year old devices that function just fine, but that aren't upgradeable to newer OSs (or that choose not to upgrade because they have them jailbroken and/or configured exactly how they want them or functions are removed or modified).

The only incompatible iPad is the original from 2010 and iPhone 4 (2010) or older. All other iPads/iPhones are on iOS 9 at the minimum.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1096 posts
1285 upvotes

but this isnt android/Microsoft devices. Apple devices are generally supported for 4 years of updates. The newer stuff will likely be supported for even longer due to its significantly more powerful hardware. If people wanted to keep their current jailbroken/configuration/etc, buying a new device is out of the question anyways as those will come with the latest OS
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
How useful is this? How does this work with a pc?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1849 posts
2464 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
LegiT wrote: The only incompatible iPad is the original from 2010 and iPhone 4 (2010) or older. All other iPads/iPhones are on iOS 9 at the minimum.
Just because you can install an OS on a device doesn't mean it runs well. After reading tons of complaints about it consistently running slowly, I decided not to upgrade from 7 to 8 on my 4S just for the sake of getting a few minor new "features" that weren't worth the decrease in performance.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
Daydas wrote: You are taking my post out of context, I never said that you have to buy a $500 device every year or two so calm down little nerd
Christmas spirit, much?

Wow. :(
Aug 1, 2013
543 posts
674 upvotes
Pain
Inherent flaming wars as part of every apple thread. :(

On topic:
How does this compare to splashtop on android? or any of the other display apps?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
So can I run this with iPad Air 2 and Win 8.1 then have PC display work as touchscreen on iPad?

I have $20 iTunes credit that's been sitting in my account since forever. I may just use it to buy this app.

Edited: Never mind I found the answer. Yes :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1096 posts
1285 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote: Inherent flaming wars as part of every apple thread. :(

On topic:
How does this compare to splashtop on android? or any of the other display apps?
this one is way smoother since data goes over the lightning cable. the other ones rely on wifi and whatnot which provide a really choppy experience. I use this app when im out and about and it's really smooth. Way better than displaylink. Granted you probably shouldnt be gaming on it but for most office work, it's more than adequate
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2375 upvotes
Toronto
This is a great app. Wonderful if you travel with an iPad and laptop. Using with my work laptop and a 12.9" iPad Pro is a huge productivity boost on the road
Nov 24, 2006
721 posts
145 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
Splashtop works terrifically on iPad, I really prefer their way of doing things since I can mirror my monitor onto my ipad without changing the resolution on my main monitor, which so far I haven't been able to do on Duet (or I haven't figured out how to do it). Splashtop also lets you switch between track pad mode and mouse mode, which is neat, I'd never personally use track pad but I can see where it would be useful for people used to laptops (I'm not). Splashtop also had no lag, and allowed you to draw in apps like Photoshop, which the regular Duet app does not (it does not let you use brushes or drawing tools, it automatically changes back to cursor mode). The only downside I had with Splashtop is that it did not support pressure sensitivity.

Duet does support pressure sensitivity, but you have to upgrade to Pro for 20$ per year, which is supposedly an "in app upgrade" although I haven't yet figured out how to actually purchase the pro, so I can't comment on whether or not it works well :P Seriously, how do you do in app purchases with a software that has no interface since it's just acting as a monitor, it really shouldn't be so hard to figure out, I must be overlooking something.