• Nov 9th, 2018 12:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
26 posts
38 upvotes

Dufferin Mall Food Court Thread!

The dirty duff mall food court may be a depressing place to visit, but when you work nearby it’s impossible to resist.

Being a regular has it’s perks though - if I get the right cashier at Thai express there’s always a free soda hook up. Burrito Bar often chucks in a bag of chips too if you stop and chat a bit.

Any other regulars get preferential treatment at the duff food court?
32 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7619 posts
3452 upvotes
Toronto
ahh good ole dufferin mall.
brings back memories.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, nice mall that has stores we like. Food court is alright.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
DaleJN wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 7:09 pm
The dirty duff mall food court may be a depressing place to visit, but when you work nearby it’s impossible to resist.
Dirty? They renovated a few years ago and then renovated some more.
I don't miss the McDonald's, since I can always go to Walmart for that.
I also never bother with KFC because the KFC/Taco bell/Pizza hut just outside has self serve pop for the same price and (for reasons unknown) the KFC in the food court has zero free refills.
(they refill for a dollar)
Same goes for the A&W-why bother with the Duff food court dollar refills when you can go to the A&W @ Dufferin & Bloor and get free refills on rootbeer?
McDonald's @ Walmart also has self serve pop, which indeed adds to my reasons for not missing the Mcdonald's in the Dufferin Mall.

I can't say the same for Popeye's though. Both the inside and outside locations charge for refills.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7619 posts
3452 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 8:49 pm
I also never bother with KFC because the KFC/Taco bell/Pizza hut just outside has self serve pop for the same price and (for reasons unknown) the KFC in the food court has zero free refills.
Same goes for the A&W-why bother with the Duff food court dollar refills when you can go to the A&W @ Dufferin & Bloor and get free refills on rootbeer?
McDonald's @ Walmart also has self serve pop, which indeed adds to my reasons for not missing the Mcdonald's in the Dufferin Mall.

I can't say the same for Popeye's though. Both the inside and outside locations charge for refills.
yeah all fast food places that have fountain drinks should offer free refills as just basic customer service. Like what's the cost per pour, 3 cents of syrup? Maybe more.... but that "free refill" is seen as value to the customer, which means more purchases.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4690 posts
396 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 8:49 pm

Inside Popeyes was free refill for me
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6240 posts
1390 upvotes
lolz

A few months ago, I accidentally left my umbrella there for 3 minutes while getting a coffee...when I returned, it was taken. Stay classy, Duff Mall.

The best reason for me to go there is if I need something at Walmart + No Frills. That No Frills is huge, has some interesting things that other No Frills don't have. Dollarama provides cheap snacks and drinks.

I usually end up getting something at the Villa Medina, McDonald's, or the Taco Bell just outside. Coffee at the A&W. There's also a decent Vietnamese restaurant nearby (Pho Linh), about a 5 minute walk.

If it had a Sephora, it'd be a pretty complete mall.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:38 pm
I think Sephora chose not to compete with Clore, which is where Buck or two used to be @ Dufferin & Bloor, just down the street from the mall.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
peanutz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:38 pm
lolz

A few months ago, I accidentally left my umbrella there for 3 minutes while getting a coffee...when I returned, it was taken. Stay classy, Duff Mall.

The best reason for me to go there is if I need something at Walmart + No Frills. That No Frills is huge, has some interesting things that other No Frills don't have. Dollarama provides cheap snacks and drinks.

I usually end up getting something at the Villa Medina, McDonald's, or the Taco Bell just outside. Coffee at the A&W. There's also a decent Vietnamese restaurant nearby (Pho Linh), about a 5 minute walk.

You just hit the trifecta for me. The main reason I went there.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15584 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
Mall is decent. Pretty much go there for Walmart and No Frills as others have said. Once in a while Toys R Us.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4212 posts
1282 upvotes
Depressing eh?

Something tells me you haven't been to the Galleria Mall up the road.

Time warp portal to the 1970s.

The best part is they decided to replace the burnt out lights outside.

You know .... after someone was killed in the parking lot.
Dec 8, 2015
63 posts
20 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Brings back old memories of being 10 and my dad taking the family in the gold Chevy to shop. Dad's gone now and I'm doing the 55thNeutral Face birthday tomorrow. I live in Scarb now and rarely get down to that side. Thanks for the thread, miss ole Dufferin Mall.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:32 am
Depressing eh?

The Galleria has been sold to developers. They will be tearing down the mall sections at a time, so be sure to drop by very soon before it's too late to see it for the last time!
https://condonow.com/Galleria-Mall-Condos
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
26 posts
38 upvotes
Sounds like they’ll keep it as a mall, but I’m sure it’ll be a lot different. Picturing swanky boutiques.

I hope BATL doesn’t get the axe! Pardon the pun..
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3397 posts
1087 upvotes
Mississauga
renoldman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:32 am

Sounds like the Central Parkway Mall in Mississauga. Right down to the retro font on the sign (or maybe it’s all original!)