• Nov 9th, 2018 12:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4670 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I'm confused... are we supposed to talk about the food court at Dufferin Mall?... or about how depressing it is?... or about Galleria Mall?... or how outdated Central Parkway Mall is?

Help!
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
roblombardi wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:49 am
I'm confused... are we supposed to talk about the food court at Dufferin Mall?... or about how depressing it is?... or about Galleria Mall?... or how outdated Central Parkway Mall is?

Help!
Dufferin mall food court is not depressing at all. People who say it is have not been there in at least 5 years or so.
There are a lot more food choices there now and the food court is renovated.
It's not that depressing looking one from a good 5 or so years ago. (possibly further back)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
It's a good little mall, I miss it.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
28 posts
40 upvotes
Okay, after everyone’s responses I’ll be revisiting the food court tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I guess when you have negative associations with a place you can often continue to see it that way even after the place has cleaned up quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4670 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
DaleJN wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 7:56 pm
Okay, after everyone’s responses I’ll be revisiting the food court tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I guess when you have negative associations with a place you can often continue to see it that way even after the place has cleaned up quite a bit.
OP... sorry but I'm confused, what was the whole point of this thread?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
28 posts
40 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: OP... sorry but I'm confused, what was the whole point of this thread?
Well since I’m there for lunch almost everyday and get deals with the right cashiers (i.e. at Thai express and bar burrito) I was hoping others could share similar experiences.

Discussion didn’t really turn out that way at all, but it was an interesting exchange nonetheless..
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
DaleJN wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 8:50 am
Well since I’m there for lunch almost everyday and get deals with the right cashiers (i.e. at Thai express and bar burrito) I was hoping others could share similar experiences.

Discussion didn’t really turn out that way at all, but it was an interesting exchange nonetheless..
Well for one, it's not a "dirty" mall. It is extremely well kept and clean. They even replaced McDonald's quickly and added more food choices.
It's never a depressing place to visit.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15591 posts
3392 upvotes
Toronto
The place has been renovated and looks nice and clean. Galleria Mall is a whole different story.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39242 posts
3518 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
The ghetto mall i cherish is gerrard sq bc i’ve always been in the beaches/leslieville area.

They renovated that too! Theres actually quite a few big box stores now.
Home depot
Walmart
Winners
Staples

The planet fitness and food basic are handy too.
Food court also so-so... hehe. Except tropical joes. They goood
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4692 posts
399 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:02 am
Well for one, it's not a "dirty" mall. It is extremely well kept and clean. They even replaced McDonald's quickly and added more food choices.
It's never a depressing place to visit.
You're right it's not a dirty mall. Just the people look dirty LOL
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 6:48 pm
The ghetto mall i cherish is gerrard sq bc i’ve always been in the beaches/leslieville area.

They renovated that too! Theres actually quite a few big box stores now.
Home depot
Walmart
Winners
Staples

The planet fitness and food basic are handy too.
Food court also so-so... hehe. Except tropical joes. They goood
Gerrard Square Walmart replaces the Zellers store. (it never became a Target)
Home Depot replaced a level of the Sears store. (which left long before Sears Canada went under)
It's good that Winners and Staples were able to fill some of the other empty space in the mall to help keep it alive.

Back to Dufferin mall - The Wal mart at that location is also an example of a store with poles so carts can never enter into the parking lot.
If you must use a store buggy, No frills has carts in the parking lot. By some total miracle, the deposit is still only a quarter, unlike some No frills stores out there where the deposit is $1.
May 1, 2007
188 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Dufferin Mall used to be a horse racing track!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dufferin_Park_Racetrack

They hosted "midnight races" and one of the most crazy horse racing stories ever happened there:

In one infamous incident during these "midnight races" a long-shot horse named Mulock held up at the turn and waited until the horses made a lap of the track and then raced to the finish ahead of the others. Despite the controversy, the bets on Mulock were paid.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 6:48 pm
Gerrard Square was never a ghetto mall. I remember that place fondly. Radio Shack, BiWay, Sears and Eatons. There was also a Pondrosa there. Can’t forget Miracle Mart. Finally the little arcade next to the CIBC

Use to skateboard in the covered parking lot on Sundays when the mall was closed. (Before Sunday Shopping)

The ghetto mall was a block west at Carlaw. Use to be a Towers, Food City and Consumers Distributing. Food City became Knob Hill Farms. No idea what they are now.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13394 posts
2207 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 3:14 am
Gerrard Square was never a ghetto mall.
The ghetto mall was a block west at Carlaw. Use to be a Towers, Food City and Consumers Distributing. Food City became Knob Hill Farms. No idea what they are now.
Knob Hill became A No Frills even though there is already a Basics in the mall right next to it.
There was a good will store there also to fill some of the left over space but I'm not sure what became of it after Good Will Toronto folded.