861 upvotes
GTA
SOL and well deserved.

oops. 19 year old thread
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
I took my lumps, no lawyer, took the fine and the loss of my license, chaulked it up to a life lesson. And moved on. Back then though, license was only lost for 6 months. 3 months if you took the DUI course. DUI course was mandatory anyway.

I blew .24 in the middle of the afternoon, was in a different province than I thought I was when I woke up.

It was a lifetime ago, but still on my record, and comes up all the time when I go across the boarder. Like Im the same person I was 25 years ago. Whatever, Mr. Border Patrol.

Did smarten me up though, I never drink and drive. I do have a beer with a meal, or one after work. But since Im there for at least an hour, its worked out of my system anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1438 posts
77 upvotes
Such an old thread - I know of people who died from drunk driving idiots.
Nov 10, 2013
324 posts
105 upvotes
Unionville, ON
what's with the 5 years bump lol?

i wonder how OP's case turned out tho
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks for the bump, I never realized the costs associated with a DUI.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
ryanmission wrote: Hah, good luck...

My insurance goes up at renewal because the cat across the street is the same color as my car - and it's owner got into an accident sometime maybe in the last summer, possibly.

I thinkkkkk they'll catch this one.
They never caught my next door neighbour... for 3.3 yrs so far. He even switched vehicles and did the early interlock. His company just just kept renewing his insurance and he kept paying, saying it was just like don't ask don't tell.... It helped his employer hired him a driver to use his truck as well so he could get to any job sites they needed him at. The cops would pull him over about once a month but the driver was always behind the wheel.

It really ticked me off because he was paying less for insurance on a newer vehicle used commercially than I was for insurance with no convictions of any kind on my record... Ontario sucks when it comes to insurance for sure, except in his case.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1174 upvotes
GTA
Tabooger wrote: Thanks for the bump, I never realized the costs associated with a DUI.
Like...a life, perhaps?
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
myronmessinger wrote: Singh_21 is correct, DUI charges are always beatable. It's just a matter of picking the right DUI lawyer to represent you. A friend of mine had a similar case here in Phoenix but he immediately sought out assistance from the Arizona DUI Team and that helped him resolve the case against him.
Mod's need to stop approving n00b posts to 5 yr old threads.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Shahronak wrote: How much time can you get for a DUI?
Anything less than life (25yrs in Canada); is not enough time served.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
Usually none for first offence. Standard sentencing for first offence is $1000-1500 fine and 1 year driving prohibition.

If second offence within 5 years, crown can apply for Increased Penalty, which will result in higher penalties if convicted.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Anything less than life (25yrs in Canada); is not enough time served.
But you do a Karla Hamolka killing, raping, kidnapping, torturing 3 people and video taping it, it's ok to just get 12. Okiee.

So, on a side note, what does it take to blow a 0.16? What is that.. like 2 pints over 2 hours?
Dec 14, 2006
217 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
@OP:
Be thankful you are still breathing to this date.
Coming from a person who lost a friend who drank and drove.
Last edited by kitsunedon on Jun 6th, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
at1212b wrote: But you do a Karla Hamolka killing, raping, kidnapping, torturing 3 people and video taping it, it's ok to just get 12. Okiee.

So, on a side note, what does it take to blow a 0.16? What is that.. like 2 pints over 2 hours?
For Karla Hamolka's case, it should have been capital punishment.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
kitsunedon wrote: @OP:
Be thankful you are still breathing to this date.
Coming from a person who lost a friend who drank and drove.
Just curious, do you know how hammered he was or the BAC? I'm curious as to is it really impaired or just equivalent to contributing to a lapse of judgement, akin to texting, looking at the radio, not getting sleep (not sleeping for 18 hrs is like .05 BAC.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
at1212b wrote: But you do a Karla Hamolka killing, raping, kidnapping, torturing 3 people and video taping it, it's ok to just get 12. Okiee.

2 pints over 2 hrs will not get you anywhere near 0.16. (Assuming you mean standard bar pints)

To get 0.16 you would need something like the equivalent of 10 drinks in 2 hrs.

Of course everybody's body absorbs alcohol differently and there is no definitive answer to your question
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
joshmxpx wrote: 2 pints over 2 hrs will not get you anywhere near 0.16. (Assuming you mean standard bar pints)

To get 0.16 you would need something like the equivalent of 10 drinks in 2 hrs.

Of course everybody's body absorbs alcohol differently and there is no definitive answer to your question
Mann, 0.16 is pretty bad. I'd be on the floor drinking 2 pitchers in 2 hours.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Mann, 0.16 is pretty bad. I'd be on the floor drinking 2 pitchers in 2 hours.
Pint =/ pitcher
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
joshmxpx wrote: Pint =/ pitcher
I mean that's like 6 pints in 2 hrs. And that would be close to .16 I reckon. Maybe even less. Have no idea how OP could think he was fine. though it's been many years.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
Started reading this thread with interest and then realized it was resurrected from 2011!!!!! :facepalm:

Please kill thread.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!