• Dec 14th, 2017 2:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 23, 2010
362 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto

Dumb down resume and no reference?

I am genuinely considering a side job probably in retail/stocking SDM, Walmart, McD for extra cash to spend. I'll be applying to a few this weekend.
I have a FT gov. office job and don't want to disclose it to employers or talk about it here/explain why. I just need tips to get the job. So, I'll cut out my current job but that leaves a large two year gap. I can fill it with college or something as I'm in my 20s. I don't remember when I worked for minimum wage, what are the odds of getting a minimum wage job with NO reference?
My hours weekday is 6 to 12, weekend anytime. Is that attractive to retail?
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6116 posts
930 upvotes
Mississauga
When I applied for a side retail job last year, I dumbed down my resume. Just used brief bullet points, left off some work history and experiences, and modified some dates. I don't think I submitted references. Usually retail dont call references.

I worked at the Bay and ended up quitting after a few months because I was too tired and the supervisor started getting too demanding and ridiculous. LOL. I miss the great discounts tho.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4807 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
These threads seem to pop up weekly and my usual suggestion is to FIRST try to increase your value during normal weekday hours and look to develop your skill sets.

With MW going to $15 I suppose there will be more interest to do this. Nonetheless low paying side jobs arent worth extending your work day over 12 hours, especially the places mentioned are physically demanding and mentally draining.

You should instead start a side business or do odd-job handy work.

As for your question moreover about resume, my suggestion is to be honest, and let the hiring manager know your intent if you plan on staying more than 3 months. I've done this kind of hiring and have hired PT with FT jobs and seen both honesty and questionable omitting things.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1248 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:23 pm
These threads seem to pop up weekly and my usual suggestion is to FIRST try to increase your value during normal weekday hours and look to develop your skill sets.

With MW going to $15 I suppose there will be more interest to do this. Nonetheless low paying side jobs arent worth extending your work day over 12 hours, especially the places mentioned are physically demanding and mentally draining.

As for your question moreover about resume, my suggestion is to be honest, and let the hiring manager know your intent if you plan on staying more than 3 months. I've done this kind of hiring and have hired PT with FT jobs and seen both honesty and questionable omitting things.
Some people just want a side job that is not mentally taxing in the same way that their day job is. It doesn't seem like the OP needs the money as he is actively targeting a minimum wage job but he works FT in the government. In this case I think the OP seems to not really need the job or the money, just maybe a "hobby" job.

I've thought about working a side job for fun at walmart or longos doing stocking or maybe work at Starbucks on the weekend as a barista. The money earned would really just be fun spending money since I already have a FT job. Instead of sitting at home, why not go out, do a less stressful job and make some money.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4807 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
gqbluez wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 12:26 am
Some people just want a side job that is not mentally taxing in the same way that their day job is. It doesn't seem like the OP needs the money as he is actively targeting a minimum wage job but he works FT in the government. In this case I think the OP seems to not really need the job or the money, just maybe a "hobby" job.

I've thought about working a side job for fun at walmart or longos doing stocking or maybe work at Starbucks on the weekend as a barista. The money earned would really just be fun spending money since I already have a FT job. Instead of sitting at home, why not go out, do a less stressful job and make some money.
Working retail in a big box store is one of the worst "hobby jobs" you can get. Boring, around a lot of unmotivated employees, accountability issues, and around customers which most don't want to be there. Coffee shop listed above is probably a better option but not Tims, SB or an indie. Even better would be to referee/umpire in sports leagues.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9642 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote:

Definitely agree. But then again, OP's in gov so might be more sustainable.

And don't forget that extra earnings will be taxed at your highest marginal tax rate. So that effective paycheck will be lower (better put aside $$ to pay for that tax bill come tax time.
Jan 15, 2017
701 posts
466 upvotes
Tactical wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:47 pm
I am genuinely considering a side job probably in retail/stocking SDM, Walmart, McD for extra cash to spend. I'll be applying to a few this weekend.
I have a FT gov. office job and don't want to disclose it to employers or talk about it here/explain why. I just need tips to get the job. So, I'll cut out my current job but that leaves a large two year gap. I can fill it with college or something as I'm in my 20s. I don't remember when I worked for minimum wage, what are the odds of getting a minimum wage job with NO reference?
My hours weekday is 6 to 12, weekend anytime. Is that attractive to retail?
Not sure about provincial gov't, but with federal gov't you have to disclose a second job to your employer to avoid any conflict of interest.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17032 posts
1882 upvotes
GTA West
Yep, dumb it down. My cousin, who has a PhD in a field that doesn't make much money, took all of his prestigious educational stuff off his resume.
He tried to get a second job at the Sony Store. Turns out he forgot to remove the part about being class valedictorian off his resume. The Sony store people really grilled him on that one, why someone like that would be applying to retail. :lol:
[OP]
Jul 23, 2010
362 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Update, been working side job for few weeks now. Ended up in a cutesy store with plush toys and cartoon stationery that’s 8 minutes away and matched my schedule. Job search was simple using the advice here. Got the green light from main too. Turns out minimum wage employers don't really care much aside from ability to show up to work. I would never be doing this for current wage but $14/h doesn't seem bad. One thing I didn’t expect was being seen by acquaintances back in the day at school/previous jobs. Awkward moments when they think you failed life hard. Thanks guys.
Jul 1, 2017
103 posts
48 upvotes
No Frills wrote:

No Frills wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 9:07 am
Working retail in a big box store is one of the worst "hobby jobs" you can get. Boring, around a lot of unmotivated employees, accountability issues, and around customers which most don't want to be there. Coffee shop listed above is probably a better option but not Tims, SB or an indie. Even better would be to referee/umpire in sports leagues.

I'm not sure what your hate is on for people needing extra money. Sure, you can argue to "increase your value" - but employers are cheap. Most will not compensate you more if you get additional training, etc. Even then, it takes a good year (minimum) to see the measurable benefit of said training. Finding capable side-gigs is also unrealistic for what "most" people are wanting to do.

They want that boring job where they can show-up and do very little to avoid burning out; if things get too busy, they have nothing holding them back from quitting. It's literally extra cash in their pocket - you need to get off your high-horse and realize that not everyone is in the position to market themselves as consultants and/or entrepreneurs.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4807 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
OP, congrats in getting the PT job in a cool local shop.

HelloWorld3 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm not sure what your hate is on for people needing extra money. Sure, you can argue to "increase your value" - but employers are cheap. Most will not compensate you more if you get additional training, etc. Even then, it takes a good year (minimum) to see the measurable benefit of said training. Finding capable side-gigs is also unrealistic for what "most" people are wanting to do.

They want that boring job where they can show-up and do very little to avoid burning out; if things get too busy, they have nothing holding them back from quitting. It's literally extra cash in their pocket - you need to get off your high-horse and realize that not everyone is in the position to market themselves as consultants and/or entrepreneurs.
If one needs/wants extra money and they don't have a choice by all means. My advice was to consider those options first. It appears what you quoted I even suggested the better (less stressful) retail and service jobs as a side gig and what to avoid, so I don't see how I "hated" or appeared on any "high horse". Glad OP isn't spending evenings in a big box hell hole.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4866 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It really boils down to whether they need you or not. The hiring management at those places have met tons of people like you and KNOW that most are there not for the long term. If they need bodies, and bodies help the store make more profit, then they won't make too much of a stink about your resume.

That being said, it's probably easier to just dumb down your resume if you're worried. A highly experienced person can suggest you're an accomplished person, or it can be viewed negatively as you being someone who sucks at what you do, and/or will just leave. Depends on who is reading over it.

HR people can usually quickly tell what kind of person you are within a few minutes of talking to you - whether modifying your resume or not. Whether you're a "lifer" or not, whether you're "good with money" or not, whether you're financially literate/not, whether you're stable/not, etc. They have likely met thousands of people looking for work. At one construction job the foreman has usually been redundant to train me on some equipment because he can "tell" that I wasn't a "lifer" that'd work in construction for the rest of my life, and even suggested I started my full tilt trucking company.

I've applied to a lot of odd jobs over the years listing my full education, experience, and credentials and most of the HR could care less for anything unrelated to the specific work I was going for. At most I'd get a "oh cool you went to university? you going back for more?", but if they needed me at the time, they wouldn't make a big stink about it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7685 posts
1383 upvotes
The biggest problem with a second job is that it's taxed at the highest tax rate as a fellow rfder mentioned. Even at 14$ for ON, getting only 50-60% to 7-8$ is not very appealing. But that's just me. Some might have fun doing it just like others have fun playing games, watching tv or knitting.

Id personally do a side gig where i could keep 100% of the income and get paid cash. Unless of course you dont mind paying trudeaux second quarter million Christmas vacation on a private island
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2132 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:34 am
Id personally do a side gig where i could keep 100% of the income and get paid cash. Unless of course you dont mind paying trudeaux second quarter million Christmas vacation on a private island
Question is, what type of cash job are we talking about? I don't think it's preferred to take a labor intensive job during the weekends because it may have a negative impact on the OP's performance for his regular job.
Apr 30, 2017
96 posts
81 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:34 am
The biggest problem with a second job is that it's taxed at the highest tax rate as a fellow rfder mentioned. Even at 14$ for ON, getting only 50-60% to 7-8$ is not very appealing. But that's just me. Some might have fun doing it just like others have fun playing games, watching tv or knitting.

I thought at the end of the year, the CRA only looks at your combined income. So you get taxed on your total income for the year, so it doesn't matter how many jobs you work the the tax structure is the same. If you overpay in taxes by working two jobs you get a refund, if you underpay you'll owe money at the end of the year. I could be wrong