• Sep 28th, 2016 10:11 am
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Jimboski wrote: Overall they've profited though right? I doubt a Starcraft movie is coming any time soon, i think they'll focus on one series and it'll be the continuation of Warcraft.
They'll definitely profit from this movie.

It was never going to be a huge blockbuster.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
squadz wrote: They'll definitely profit from this movie.

It was never going to be a huge blockbuster.
outperformed Star Wars in China so I guess it's kinda blockbuster over there. 300+ million already

And once people realize that user reviews of this movie are the opposite of the critics views then maybe it'll have a chance here. critics need to go.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
I really enjoyed the movie.
For a hopefully first in a series, the movie was good enough. It brought me some nostalgia to see maps and scenery I enjoyed while playing WoW a few years back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
~$40m North America but ~$400m worldwide and highest-grossing "video game movie" of all time.

I think we'll get our sequels. China carried it.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2007
1432 posts
142 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote: outperformed Star Wars in China so I guess it's kinda blockbuster over there. 300+ million already

And once people realize that user reviews of this movie are the opposite of the critics views then maybe it'll have a chance here. critics need to go.
Especially in this day and age where everyone can just quickly google the movie and go to their favourite movie review site to see how other "real life" users rated the movie. I can understand movie critics back in the day prior to the internet, because there wasn't a central location for regular people to post their reviews of the movie, but now with the internet being as big as it is, I feel that movie "critics" are no longer necessary. Besides, they always have this holier than thou attitude when I read some of their reviews.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
EGee6 wrote: Especially in this day and age where everyone can just quickly google the movie and go to their favourite movie review site to see how other "real life" users rated the movie. I can understand movie critics back in the day prior to the internet, because there wasn't a central location for regular people to post their reviews of the movie, but now with the internet being as big as it is, I feel that movie "critics" are no longer necessary. Besides, they always have this holier than thou attitude when I read some of their reviews.
I think the best critics are regular moviegoers.
I think movie critics are biased by several factors: paycheck, if they belong to an organization (i.e. Oscars), formal education (acting, film schools,...), etc.
Those people don't represent general audience who bring their families to watch a movie and have fun. Those guys bring their fancy words in their reviews (nobody talks that way on the street), and pretend their comments should be taken as a representation of the society.
General audience go to the movies mainly to have fun, not to analyze every aspect of the film.
That's why I don't read RottenTomatos reviews by critics. I prefer to go to IMDB or Amazon and read some people's comments.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
I went to see this with my bf this afternoon and found out that it was based on a game. If I want to learn more about the story line, which one should I play? Start my way from 1 and work myself up to wow?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
vivibaby wrote: I went to see this with my bf this afternoon and found out that it was based on a game. If I want to learn more about the story line, which one should I play? Start my way from 1 and work myself up to wow?
"The Warcraft film universe is an alternate, separate version of the main Warcraft universe."
from http://wow.gamepedia.com/Warcraft_film_universe

Read the prequel comic Warcraft: Bonds of Brotherhood and prequel novel Warcraft: Durotan, as well as Warcraft: The Official Movie Novelization, to learn more of the store line.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote: I think the best critics are regular moviegoers.
I think movie critics are biased by several factors: paycheck, if they belong to an organization (i.e. Oscars), formal education (acting, film schools,...), etc.
Those people don't represent general audience who bring their families to watch a movie and have fun. Those guys bring their fancy words in their reviews (nobody talks that way on the street), and pretend their comments should be taken as a representation of the society.
General audience go to the movies mainly to have fun, not to analyze every aspect of the film.
That's why I don't read RottenTomatos reviews by critics. I prefer to go to IMDB or Amazon and read some people's comments.
I agree...I was the Chairman of my University's Film and Entertainment club. I used to write reviews that were based on the everyday movie goer and tried not to sound like a typical snobby self-entitled film critic. That's why I personally don't care what Critics say...I care what the general public says. Also, I make my own choice if I like a movie or not...there are many occasions when a movie was hated and panned by Critics but I really enjoyed the movie for what it was. You have to go in without presumptions for a movie because the hype for some movies will affect your perspective of those movies usually.

Anyway, as I said before, I never played Warcraft games before (and I am a gamer...but I don't like MMOs and RPG-style games...too long and time consuming in my opinion)...but I really enjoyed Warcraft the movie in IMAX 3D for what it was. It's like a hybrid of Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit/Avatar all rolled into one similar type of story. It was an entertaining and well produced movie.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: I went to see this with my bf this afternoon and found out that it was based on a game. If I want to learn more about the story line, which one should I play? Start my way from 1 and work myself up to wow?
tk1000 wrote: "The Warcraft film universe is an alternate, separate version of the main Warcraft universe."
from http://wow.gamepedia.com/Warcraft_film_universe

Read the prequel comic Warcraft: Bonds of Brotherhood and prequel novel Warcraft: Durotan, as well as Warcraft: The Official Movie Novelization, to learn more of the store line.
Actually this movie, from what fans of the series have said, is totally based on elements and characters and locations/areas from the FIRST ever Warcraft game on the PC that came out over 2 decades or more ago...not sure the exact date. So if you want to experience THIS movie's characters (i.e. ORCS vs Humans) and familiar locations from that World....check out the classic...but dated Warcraft PC game. If you like RTS (Real Time Strategy) / RPG-style games.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
The Honest Trailer For WARCRAFT Isn't Kind To The Movie's "Boring" Humans
Is it Warcraft or Dawn of the Planet of the Orcs? If one thing is certain from this Honest Trailer for the movie, it's that the human actors simply couldn't compete with their fully CGI co-stars...
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video_ga ... ns-a145476