• Sep 12th, 2017 1:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Saw it on fake IMAX. It still looked pretty good. More movies need to use up even the 16:9 (give or take) ratio of the liemax :) I think all the outdoor scenes took up the whole screen and look amazing.

I got sucked right into it and found it very tense. I completely agree with other comments. If there was CGI I couldn't spot it. CGI in modern films usually takes me out of it. 90% of the time you can spot it and your brain knows its fake. They must of used lost of practical effects in this movie (or pretty good cgi) because my brain didn't register anything as fake.... which kept me very immersed in the experience.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1609 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Saw it in IMAX Mississauga and was really impressed. Great sound, maybe a little too much sometimes. I wonder if he didn't film the 3 stories the way he did how long the movie would be?

Has to be seen in 70mm IMAX for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Just saw it in imax here in Edmonton. I think it was 70mm one?..... But agree with others here the time shift was a little bit confusing. Only good thing is they were able to tell those specific events from multiple points of view. Wonder if it would've been better to edit it so they tell the whole story of each land/air/sea before jumping to the next one.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
I don't contribute much any more to this place but take advantage of the two 70mm IMAX screens showing this in the GTA.

See the best that digital is unable to replicate in quality. See what quality over economics can do.

See old school win over the perception that newer must mean better.

This will win several academy awards. Perhaps it will encourage more to choose quality over cheap digital.

Oh well.

Lived up to everything I expected it to be.
Left rfd
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote: As a huge Nolan and war movie fan I was dissapointed.

I felt zero connection with any character, the writing was just ok and all the set pieces felt far too similar.

The movie felt like it was missing the entire beginning. There was no lead up, nothing. It's honestly as bare bones as the trailers are.

I went in very excited and left confused and bored. Maybe it's the evolution of Nolan, but I don't like this new direction.
Sorry but I think you missed the point. This was not a story driven movie. The characters were simply vessels for the historical importance of the event that occurred. Im not meaning to be insulting, but do you know much or anything about Dunkirk and World War 2? If you were expecting Gore, sex, and romance then you went to the wrong film. This film pays homage to British honour and courage during one of the pivotal moments in WWII.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Loved the movie but I felt i didn't really have enough of a beginning to it as many ppl have no idea of the importance of the event and how it happened. It would be nice to see Nolan get some award for this. There were older ppl crying in the theatre.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
tim-x wrote: Sorry but I think you missed the point. This was not a story driven movie. The characters were simply vessels for the historical importance of the event that occurred. Im not meaning to be insulting, but do you know much or anything about Dunkirk and World War 2? If you were expecting Gore, sex, and romance then you went to the wrong film. This film pays homage to British honour and courage during one of the pivotal moments in WWII.
The filmmaker failed then if they didn't feel the impact of the event.

I am part of the younger generation and have no clue about Dunkirk. I am a not a history buff so other than knowing when the Wars occurred, Dunkirk at least for me was just a place. It has no historical meaning for me. I haven't seen the movie but even then its an event that happened 70 years ago, I will need the movie to get me attached beyond just being filmed in IMAX.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
The simple narrative is an absolute visual masterpiece. Not seeing it in its full glory in 70mm IMAX would be doing yourself injustice as a moviegoer. I'm going for my third viewing tomorrow (Cheap Tuesday) to watch it at Cineplex Mississauga's 70mm IMAX film screening.

1) First viewing Scotiabank's laser IMAX theatre

2) Second viewing the old Colossus theatre now called Cineplex Vaughan 70mm IMAX film presentation
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
To be honest I didn't know much about Dunkirk either. Way back when I was in high school it was History 12 that covered the history of the War. I went to a small school and I needed the class that was up against it so I never took it. I've watched a lot of documentaries on WWII but many of them tend to focus on what caused the war, how it started, and how Hitler took power and started conquering Europe. Then most of the others kind of pick up with Pearl Harbour, the US entering the war, and the push that started with D-Day that led to the Victory in Europe about a year later.

The push by the allied forces from D-Day to VE Day gets a lot of attention. The war in southern europe, the pacific, the russian side of the war, and the English attempt before the US joined in. It doesn't get nearly as much attention. At least that's how I feel about it.

I was born 30ish years after the war ended. I can only imagine how much the kids of today born 70(ish) years after the war will retain about it. As it slowly fades into yet another war in another textbook.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I didn't get it when I saw the trailer and I still don't get it. :(

I get the event but I'm talking more about character development, it had no emotion as to why should I care?

I felt like I was watching more a documentary than a movie.

I only follow one YouTube reviewer and lately he has been on point including this.

I honestly didn't care for this but even though his last two was disappointing (TDK Rises & Interstellar) I felt like I needed to give this a chance. All I can say is between the three this is the least disappointing.

Also, it was Tuesday. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Wow this movie sucked!

No plot development. No character development. Minimal dialogue.
Garbage movie. Disappointed in Nolan. I'm thinking he's gotten so cocky being a household name and being known for great movies that he thought he can put out a pile of $h** and people will think it's awesome.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote: The filmmaker failed then if they didn't feel the impact of the event.

I am part of the younger generation and have no clue about Dunkirk. I am a not a history buff so other than knowing when the Wars occurred, Dunkirk at least for me was just a place. It has no historical meaning for me. I haven't seen the movie but even then its an event that happened 70 years ago, I will need the movie to get me attached beyond just being filmed in IMAX.
The filmmaker certainly did not fail. You should read about important historical events because they're important, not just because you saw a cool film about it.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
tim-x wrote: The filmmaker certainly did not fail. You should read about important historical events because they're important, not just because you saw a cool film about it.
He didn't fail cause it has a high RT score but for people who didn't like it, he obviously failed.

When you take out character development, etc what you get is a nice flashy realistic film done in IMAX. For some it will be about a historical event that has been forgotten.

The event is important but again, we learn what we learn in high school history which I think was mandatory for one year. Dunkirk is not covered.. Unless you are a history buff, you are not going to know it or go on to read about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote: He didn't fail cause it has a high RT score but for people who didn't like it, he obviously failed.

When you take out character development, etc what you get is a nice flashy realistic film done in IMAX. For some it will be about a historical event that has been forgotten.

The event is important but again, we learn what we learn in high school history which I think was mandatory for one year. Dunkirk is not covered.. Unless you are a history buff, you are not going to know it or go on to read about it.
I can see your point. I'm of a younger generation but my grandfather flew a Lancaster in the British Royal Air Force. It certainly made me remember all of those stories that he told me when I was half paying attention. I'd recommend reading about it though beyond just your mandatory history classes. I strongly believe that underatanding the past helps us make better decisions in the futute.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: Posted by @sprung

Toronto - Sept 10. Dunkirk free @ Cinesphere w/Chris Nolan in attendance!
toronto-sept-10-dunkirk-free-cinesphere ... e-2122770/
This afternoon (Sunday) at 1pm I really lucked out with my friend because we scored free tickets to the 70mm IMAX screening with Christopher Nolan doing a 20 minutes Q&A after the film by Cameron Bailey. What an AWESOME treat it was to see this masterpiece at the Cinesphere (birth place of IMAX). Ahem, it was actually my 5th time seeing "Dunkirk". LOL

2X laser IMAX at the Scotiabank
1X 70mm IMAX at Vaughan
1X 70mm IMAX at Mississauga
1X 70mm IMAX at Cinesphere

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/f ... ndmail.com

Can't wait to see "North of Superior" at the Cinesphere next Sunday. That IMAX film I actually have advanced tickets for it. It should be a great celebration closing TIFF and celebrating IMAX 50th anniversary at Ontario Place with free food and stuff. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
I was reading a book the other day, "Britain at War" (2004) by Richard Holmes and the scene with the airplane attempting to sink the small ship is right out of the book. The thing that they don't mention is that the captain of the small ship was Commander Charles Lightoller, senior surviving officer of The Titanic. The book gives a much better insight into what happened at Dunkirk and makes for great reading...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)