None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7323 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto

Duracell/Energizer vs Dollar Store batteries

I'm asking this questions specifically for my Rock Band wireless guitar. I personally prefer rechargeables over any kind of disposeable battery, but since this guitar takes an odd 3 AA's, I've decided to go with disposables instead.

Now... Am I better off buying Duracells, Energizers, or the cheap dollar store Panasonic varieties? The dollar store stuff I can get $1/4, while Duracells and Energizers can easily be found for $8/4. Will they actually last 8 times longer?
35 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2005
3302 posts
2 upvotes
Doubtfull. Biggest worry about batteries for non-high drain devices is really how long they have been sitting on the shelf. Get whatever has the last expiry date. If the pack says expires in 2008 or 2009, odds are the batteries are pretty old already.

If you were buying batteries for a camera or some other high drain device that flogs the batteries to death by drawing tons of current (woo flash!), then the higher quality batteries might last longer.

I don't think the wireless guitar will be anywhere close to that current drain, so the dollar store batteries should last you for atleast 50% of the lifetime of Energizer/Duracell.

Personally, I buy my AA's when Canadian Tire has a sale on those huge 50 battery packs. You can get 50 batteries for $10 or so and they are decent quality.

If you want even cheaper, you can buy batteries by the caseload on Ebay.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6563 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Don't buy no name batteries (i.e. Chateau) they're complete crap...

Energizer/Duracell may give slightly longer life, but Panasonic is still a reputable name and you'll get decent battery life.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Banned
Jan 30, 2007
602 posts
Duracell and Energizer batteries are popular only because they advertise like crazy (remember the bunnies?), they are not necessary better than other brand name batteries. That been said, I haven't had any good experience with no-name batteries, they don't last as long and don't have a good shelf life.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7323 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 6:29 am
What so odd about 3 x AA ?
I like to keep my rechargeables in sets, so within each set i know they've been charged/discharged/used at the same time and rate. With 3 batteries required, it would leave me with 1 extra battery which i have no use for.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
10906 posts
486 upvotes
Some dollar stores sell Panasonic alkaline batteries.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6937 posts
343 upvotes
board123 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 6:57 am
Some dollar stores sell Panasonic alkaline batteries.
True but could be counterfeit too. My favorite is when some places sell counterfeits with the real product names slightly misspelled (ex: Panosonic).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5141 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond bc
My dollar store has real Panasonic batteries
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
18738 posts
713 upvotes
appleb wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 6:47 am
I like to keep my rechargeables in sets, so within each set i know they've been charged/discharged/used at the same time and rate. With 3 batteries required, it would leave me with 1 extra battery which i have no use for.
Well, actually, you shouldn't have this problem ... You should buy 2 sets (2 x 4). Use 3 in your guitar. Have 3 in the charger to be ready when your 1st set runs out. You don't want to wait a few hours to charge the batteries, eh ? My Motorola FRS uses 3 x AA too ...

Now, that leaves you with 2 batteries which is more common for other devices ... ie. remotes, shavers ... etc

BTW, You may want to get Eneloop ...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6591 posts
724 upvotes
BC
willy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 2:15 pm
Are you sure you guys are seeing Panasonic alkaline (gold/black) in your local dollars store ? Not those blue/black/white "Heavy Duty" kind ?
Yeah, but they're no cheaper than other places when Duracell/Energizer batteries go on sale, and a fair bit more expensive than when places sell Memorex/Panasonic 48 packs for ~$10. I have to agree with your Eneloop suggestion though, especially if your local The Source store has any 8-packs of AA's left.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8840 posts
118 upvotes
A friend of mine bought 500 AA and AAA batteries from www.batteries.com for $50. 10cents a battery, can't beat that price. Even if they only last 1/3 of the time of the Energizer, they're still atleast 1/6th the price!
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2002
2386 posts
29 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 4:39 pm
A friend of mine bought 500 AA and AAA batteries from www.batteries.com for $50. 10cents a battery, can't beat that price. Even if they only last 1/3 of the time of the Energizer, they're still atleast 1/6th the price!
Hooray for toxic waste!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8840 posts
118 upvotes
Byrns wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 4:51 pm
Hooray for toxic waste!
Alkaline batteries are not toxic and can be thrown out with regular waste.
× < >