• Jul 7th, 2015 2:15 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Kemptville

Duraloc now called Allmet stone coated roofing serious problems

Be very very careful with the stone coated metal roofing. Seven years ago I had a beautiful, large, expensive roof installed. The installer did a great job, but now the stone aggregate is coming off in large areas, and ugly brown primer is showing beneath.

I had to get a lawyer, and it will likely involve a lawsuit to get the company, Duraloc, now a shell numbered company, to do anything about honouring their so called 50 year warranty. I have read other horrible comments on another site about people fighting with the man who owns this company. They said he wants to do some mickey mouse repair by coating it, then charge you thousands for the repair, and to begin with he tries to charge you $400.00 just to come out and do an assessment of the problem. To top it all off then apparently your 50 yr. warranty is voided. In my opinion, the 50 yr. warranty is just a marketing ploy, and not really a warranty at all.

This dream roof has turned into nothing but a big problem, and my home is very devalued and unsightly because of it. I would never trust stone coated steel roofing again.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
What's the advantage of a stone coating over metal, why not just get a metal roof? Sounds a little redundant to me.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Kemptville
jumbojones wrote:
Apr 8th, 2011 7:14 pm
What's the advantage of a stone coating over metal, why not just get a metal roof? Sounds a little redundant to me.

I agree, in general, it probably is redundant, but it stops the snow from sliding off, is supposed to give you more protection from hail, and looks really beautiful when it is first installed. It is a very high end, expensive roof that is promoted as being the last roof you will ever need. Right. Now I have this huge problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
consumer1 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2011 7:23 pm
I agree, in general, it probably is redundant, but it stops the snow from sliding off, is supposed to give you more protection from hail, and looks really beautiful when it is first installed. It is a very high end, expensive roof that is promoted as being the last roof you will ever need. Right. Now I have this huge problem.
Is it leaking at all?
[OP]
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Kemptville
jumbojones wrote:
Apr 8th, 2011 9:21 pm
Is it leaking at all?

No, so far it is not leaking. I had an independent contractor, who does roofs, as well as general contracting look at it. He thinks it will not leak, but I worry that without protective stone coating the steel, which does have a zinc and aluminum alloy coating, may still eventually rust.

He did agree that most people would not want to buy my house with a roof that looks like that, and he was uncertain as to just how it would perform long term.

I hope to get the roof replaced by going through with the lawsuit. My lawyer thinks that is the best solution, but I am not sure how a judge will see it.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Are there any pics online where ppl, can see how bad this roof allegedly looks?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Jul 21, 2006
350 posts
43 upvotes
Montreal
consumer1 wrote:
May 17th, 2011 11:58 pm
Here is a site where you can sign up for a possible class action lawsuit against Dura Loc roofing if you have a defective stone coated metal roof.

http://class-action-advice.ca/dura-loc.html

Any updates on this?

Just had a visit for a quote today. Was suggested that I go with Allmet. The guy explained the past issues with the old company (I assume Duraloc) and that the new company was better. Was told that the stone shouldn't come off unless I go walking on the roof a lot, and even then it would be on the edges of the shingles.

My question is does it leach anything into the water that touches the roof? I collect rain water and this may become important for me in the future. I'm thinking if plain steel costs the same as the Allmet shingles, I might go for that instead... at least then I'll know, in theory, the water collected on that material is safer.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a permanent roof, but it's the cost that's going to determine what material I go with.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
New company or not, considering the horrific problems with this product in the past I find it mind boggling that any one would even remotely consider this.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Kemptville
experiment437 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2011 4:56 pm
Any updates on this?

Just had a visit for a quote today. Was suggested that I go with Allmet. The guy explained the past issues with the old company (I assume Duraloc) and that the new company was better. Was told that the stone shouldn't come off unless I go walking on the roof a lot, and even then it would be on the edges of the shingles.

My question is does it leach anything into the water that touches the roof? I collect rain water and this may become important for me in the future. I'm thinking if plain steel costs the same as the Allmet shingles, I might go for that instead... at least then I'll know, in theory, the water collected on that material is safer.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a permanent roof, but it's the cost that's going to determine what material I go with.

I have noticed lots of granules coming down my eavestrophs, and there is quite a bit in the bottom of my rain barrels. Like you I am worried about what this might do to contaminate garden soil. I would go with the plain metal roofing product that has been tested for many years. Also, knock on doors, and talk to people if you see a roof you like. Find out what company they used. I would look for one with a good track record, and no history of problems. If their stone coated roof is no good, I would have reservations about any other product they carry too. Installers use different suppliers of metal roofing. You need to be very careful about the installer, and the product.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16697 posts
3004 upvotes
Toronto
Old asphalt shingles for the win, huh?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14334 posts
1286 upvotes
Oshawa
BinaryJay wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 12:01 am
Old asphalt shingles for the win, huh?

Nope, aluminum shingles.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
[OP]
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Kemptville
JAC wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 12:57 am
Nope, aluminum shingles.

Aluminum may be good. I have no experience with it, but many of my neighbours have learned from my bad experience with Duralock and Allmet stone coated roofing panels. Most of them have re-roofed with either 40 year asphalt shingles with a company in the area that has a good reputation going back 30 years. Others have used agricultural grade steel roofing from other suppliers. Believe me, no one who looks at my roof wants to even try a stone coated metal roof.
× < >