Home & Garden

Duraroc Rubber Surfacing - as seen on Bigger not Better - Holmes Inspections HGTV

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2012 6:24 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 19, 2009
14 posts

Duraroc Rubber Surfacing - as seen on Bigger not Better - Holmes Inspections HGTV

Recently saw a product on Holmes Inspections, Duraroc Rubber surfacing. A rubber/epoxy coating to go over concrete. We have a basement walkup that needs a treatment to prevent cracking from water damage and just to clean up the area, recoating on the walls,stairs. Was wondering if anyone has used this company and if they have any feedback on reliablity, quality of product, cost etc. Can't find much info with internet searches and have only seen it once on HGTV. Their website is www.duraroc.com
Thanks for any input you might have.
3 replies
[OP]
Feb 19, 2009
14 posts
"Duraroc rubber granules are mixed with highly resilient mildew resistant polyurethane and hand-trowelled onto the based surface" off the duraroc website. It is a thick product that is troweled in place. The Home Hardware product is more like paint. The duraroc type of product allows for use in uneven concrete areas such as missing/chipped areas, whereas I think the home hardware product requires a pretty smooth surface.

There are other companies in Toronto that use a similar product under a different name. Someone must have had a pool deck or front step redone, just curious if it lasted, if people were pleased with the overall end product and if it was expensive or not.

Our retaining wall portion of our basement walk up has shifted about 1/4 of an inch over 5 years where there is a crack. We want to seal the wall to prevent further movement and a finish that will be pleasing to the eye. This duraroc seems to be a good choice in that it is flexible, water tight and will move with freeze/thaw, not crack, and it can be used to fill in uneven surfaces.

Thanks for the comments :0) Open to other suggestions, what worked for you?
Feb 2, 2012
4 posts
2 upvotes
I had my porch done in this coating but it was done by rubaroc, i have had it for almost 3 years now and love it. when i was doing the lookup on it i found rubaroc was around alot longer (25 years) and had more work done locally for me to see. a buddy had his pool done by the local rubaroc dealer ontario rubber installations last summer and he loves it. His pool was cracked and had patched areas from a pipe burst and the rubaroc covered it all nicely..u cant even tell it was ever damaged.

its a great product either way but shop around, i did and couldnt be happier with my rubaroc surface
× < >