• Jun 2nd, 2012 11:03 am
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2008
277 posts
27 upvotes
London

Dust Particles Under Clear Coat .......

So my sister got a new car a few months ago.. and her accord coupe started forming some bulge under the hood paint so honda gave it to a body shop to repaint (spot blend) and re clear the whole hood.

Now that she got the car back...

there are numerous of spots on the car with particles under the paint.. bulging out ...

At first i noticed 4-8, and than we took it in their shops under lights and the HOOD was full of these particles, lots of dust or whatever under the clear.

What steps should we take now?

Do we get them to reclear the paint?
I tried to take pics today but it's raining so it is very hard but imaging a whole bunch of pimples all over the hood.

any suggestions? I don't want to name the shop yet but they have a good history and good work, but she is annoyed ..

any paint experts in here?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
Sand and reclear.

I don't get it? They didn't do a good job bring it back and ask them to fix it.

What do you expect RFD members to tell you?

The guy didn't prep his booth properly. Half the battle of a good paint job is prep. The second half is skill.
Oct 4, 2008
277 posts
27 upvotes
London
[QUOTE]Sand and reclear.

I don't get it? They didn't do a good job bring it back and ask them to fix it.

What do you expect RFD members to tell you?

The guy didn't prep his booth properly. Half the battle of a good paint job is prep. The second half is skill.[/QUOTE]

I came here looking for suggestions ..

I told them A) repaint the hood B) or wet sand it and clear it again ( not sure if this will have issues long term)

They said that if they paint it and clear it again , it will be thick paint or some stuff and easier to chip .

What did i expect? maybe there are some paint masters or gurus on here that know more than I do. that is all no need to be rude about it. Just looking for some suggestions

The one guy working at the place was telling me they are no dust free place and every paint job has dust in it.. yet i highly doubt that... why would someone pay 3000g+ for a paint job that looks like crap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
proteinJunkie wrote: I came here looking for suggestions ..

I told them A) repaint the hood B) or wet sand it and clear it again ( not sure if this will have issues long term)

They said that if they paint it and clear it again , it will be thick paint or some stuff and easier to chip .

What did i expect? maybe there are some paint masters or gurus on here that know more than I do. that is all no need to be rude about it. Just looking for some suggestions

The one guy working at the place was telling me they are no dust free place and every paint job has dust in it.. yet i highly doubt that... why would someone pay 3000g+ for a paint job that looks like crap.

He is really quite correct. There is no way hermetically sealing a paint booth. It is not a pharmaceutical laboratory. Having said that, when a paint job is properly done, the procedure is to wet sand with very fine paper the top coat to smooth out the surface. This is painting 101. They don't like to do it because it is time consuming and, as every one knows, time is money.
I can assure you that if you went to custom shop and paid $3000+ you would get a proper job. You went to a dealership shop for a touch up, plus you are not paying, and you got your moneys worth. Big difference.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
While you can't get something like a flowbench in the size of a paintbooth.

A good paint booth will have a filtration system. As well it will be designed with positive or negative pressure. It even has draft control. All working together to prevent crap like this and environmental reasons.

The place didn't prep or just doesn't have good facilities.