Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa

Duty on camera?

I recently bought a camera off ebay and I just received the missed delivery notice today (wasn't home). On the back, they had my taxes owed. But from what I can calculate, the value on there was much too high for just taxes. I applied a 6% duty onto my purchase price and it comes to about what is written on the delivery notice slip. I thought that duties aren't charged on camera gears? Any way I can dispute this? The camera in question is a Panasonic GX1.
8 replies
Aug 3, 2011
935 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Are you sure its duties ? If the item was shipped via UPS ground good luck their fee and stuff adds up. Plus you pay 13% as GST which the shipping company collects.
If it was UPS ground you could call them and your sweet talk could get you one time goodwill credit.
Find out what exactly those charges are at first.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
It's USPS/Canada Post.
I am well aware of UPS/Fedex ground brokerage lol
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
is it about 10$ that is what canada post charges for brokerage.

otherwise if they did charge duty there is probably a process for it to get reversed but I haven't dealt with that before so I won't be able to help. Probably involves quoting them which section that camera gear falls under and showing them that it is duty free, tough part is the people you pick the package up from are not the ones who accessed duty on it (and can reverse it) good luck
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the information folks!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
Update:
So I picked up the camera and it turns out I did get charged 5% duty. Will be filing the B2G form for that, but the shipper also had my name spelled incorrectly on the package, so even when CBSA sends me a cheque to reimburse the duty, it'll have an incorrect name. What would the course of action be to correct the name?
Jan 20, 2011
21 posts
16 upvotes
Chrno wrote: Update:
So I picked up the camera and it turns out I did get charged 5% duty. Will be filing the B2G form for that, but the shipper also had my name spelled incorrectly on the package, so even when CBSA sends me a cheque to reimburse the duty, it'll have an incorrect name. What would the course of action be to correct the name?
The name that you put on the B2G form (as "Importer name and address") is the name and address that they'll send the cheque to. I don't think the name on the package matters to the CBSA.

You can quote on the B2G form that the correct HTC for this import is "8525.80.50 Digital Cameras". The 5% duty probably resulted from a "Miscellaneous Camera Parts" classification.