• Jun 4th, 2018 6:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5194 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto

Duty free alcohol deals?

Crossing the border at Alexandra Bay near Kingston this weekend for over 48hrs, looking to get 4 bottles of liquor back. Which ones have the deepest discount vs prices here? Are the duty free prices on par with local stores around Syracuse, NY?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5312 posts
2949 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We don’t shop at Duty Free Stores...

When we cross into upstate NY - Vermont - Maine we just hit the regular local liquor stores, as they usually have the best prices and selection

Have not bought booze in A-Bay but have in Watertown, Ogdensburg & Massena (all Intl Crossing Points by bridge)

Your issue is not so much cost, as it is going to be your Personal Exemption.

48+ Hours Out and your max per person is 1.14 Litres (40 Oz) of Spirits

So you are going to have to pay the related Duties & Taxes on the overage.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... e-eng.html
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 17th, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2015
403 posts
189 upvotes
Winnipeg
What is the point even of buying duty free? I find that the big box liquor stores in the US always have better deals than what you can find at the duty free.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5194 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry I should have mentioned there’s 4 of us over 18. If there are no price variance between duty free shop right before the bridge vs local NY liquor stores i would rather get it at the duty free since other passengers like to shop the cosmetics.

What brand of liquor do you guys find are sold at the biggest discount vs north of the border?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2585 posts
2111 upvotes
Vancouver
greg123 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 6:19 pm
Sorry I should have mentioned there’s 4 of us over 18. If there are no price variance between duty free shop right before the bridge vs local NY liquor stores i would rather get it at the duty free since other passengers like to shop the cosmetics.

What brand of liquor do you guys find are sold at the biggest discount vs north of the border?
I don't know about Ontario but the best duty free liquor deals in BC are on specialty products that aren't typically available in US big box stores. Like a bottle of Japanese whiskey I bought at duty free once, that was much cheaper than at any store on either side of the border.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5312 posts
2949 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
greg123 wrote:

There can definitely be price differences, as well as differences in what is carried

Duty Free often carries high end items, while local liquor stores may have more local or specialty US brands

You say all 4 of you are over 18... why you’d say that at all raises questions.

First the age to buy alcohol in the USA is 21.
And second as Ontario Residents you have to be 19 to possess / import alcohol into this Province (be that internationally or domestically)

And oh ya... in case you’ve never been before, A-Bay ain’t “all that”... they do a great job of marketing themselves as a lot more than they truly are (pretty run down northern border community). And if you are under 21... as a notorious party town (due to Fort Drum nearby) you should be aware that the place is crawling with cops looking for underage drinkers, and trouble makers (lots of bar fights etc). And getting caught up in such stuff in the USA... especially as a Foreign Visitor, is not just a slap on the hand... it’s a full on criminal offence in the USA... often with jail time.

In the very least the US Justice System / Govt will make you a person inadmissible in the future because of the arrest
(And then 10 years from now you’ll be posting on the internet asking how to get a pardon so you can travel outside of Canada again)

If you are under 21, I say skip the grief (and disappointment) and head to Montreal for your partying
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1090 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
56kbps wrote:
May 17th, 2018 5:07 pm
What is the point even of buying duty free? I find that the big box liquor stores in the US always have better deals than what you can find at the duty free.
Duty free also sometimes can carry exclusives at least for scotch.
Mar 14, 2006
926 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
If you are near a Costco and is a member, they have pretty good prices on their liquid.
Nov 23, 2015
403 posts
189 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kiraly wrote:
May 17th, 2018 7:30 pm
I don't know about Ontario but the best duty free liquor deals in BC are on specialty products that aren't typically available in US big box stores. Like a bottle of Japanese whiskey I bought at duty free once, that was much cheaper than at any store on either side of the border.
Japanese whiskey... good idea. I normally bring home big bottles of utility grade rum for mixing, but an affordable bottle of Japanese whiskey would be nice since the stuff sold in Manitoba liquor stores tends to be fairly pricy.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1913 posts
414 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 2:10 pm
If you are near a Costco and is a member, they have pretty good prices on their liquid.
In some states you don't have to be a member to buy liquor at Costco.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite
2% cold hard cash on everything, no caps, VISA acceptance
48 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5194 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Didnt have that much time to shop, but bought 2 bottles of Hennessy VSOP Cognac LCBO sells 750ml for $102,80 vs borderfree $60US for 1L. 2 case of 24 cans of Bud light for $30USD.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5397 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
greg123 wrote:
Sorry I should have mentioned there’s 4 of us over 18.
Its 19 and over in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
3215 posts
705 upvotes
M-Arkham
If you're hitting up Duty Free, you should only be buying duty free exclusive booze, otherwise hit up the local liquor store or costco to get the mainstream stuff
2x Zoomer $36 for 3GB and 400min call
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)