Shopping Discussion

Duty paid on camera shipped from U.S. and Duty free purchase.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2007 10:39 am
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2006
98 posts

Duty paid on camera shipped from U.S. and Duty free purchase.

Hey,

I was looking at getting a new camera, haven't really decided which one yet, but was leaning towards canon powershot A630 or SD1000, anyways I have seen them both quite a bit cheaper in the U.S. but was wondering how much i would have to pay for duty?

They are typically about 300ish here in canada, but I have seen them for about 180 in the US.

Secondly I am going through the U.S. on a trip in a couple of weeks, just in the airport and was wondering if anyone knows the typical duty free prices for Camera's? Are they any cheaper, you would tyipcally only save a 7% tax wouldn't you?

Thanks
Tyler
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
As far as I know, there is no duty for camera or camera products such as lens or flash from US, you just have to pay GST + PST of your province. However, be aware that the courier may apply customs brokerage charge which could be quite high. The most expensive brokerage charge is UPS, the cheapest is US Postal Service (which is handled by Canada Post).
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1845 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought a Rebel XTi in Bellingham last year and wasn't charged any duty. Just PST / GST as mentioned above.

GYR8
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
tkertise wrote: Hey,

I was looking at getting a new camera, haven't really decided which one yet, but was leaning towards canon powershot A630 or SD1000, anyways I have seen them both quite a bit cheaper in the U.S. but was wondering how much i would have to pay for duty?

They are typically about 300ish here in canada, but I have seen them for about 180 in the US.

Secondly I am going through the U.S. on a trip in a couple of weeks, just in the airport and was wondering if anyone knows the typical duty free prices for Camera's? Are they any cheaper, you would tyipcally only save a 7% tax wouldn't you?

Thanks
Tyler
Airport prices are usually quite close to MSRP. You'd be better off getting it in Canada like that.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1511 posts
9 upvotes
slomo wrote: As far as I know, there is no duty for camera or camera products such as lens or flash from US, you just have to pay GST + PST of your province. However, be aware that the courier may apply customs brokerage charge which could be quite high. The most expensive brokerage charge is UPS, the cheapest is US Postal Service (which is handled by Canada Post).
last time i checked, canada post charges $8 fee and also customs fee is usually 14%. sometimes 7% depending on kind of item.
if its not made in USA, then add i think about 3% for duty as well
Apr 14, 2004
997 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
FedEx and DHL are almost as bad as UPS for brokerage fees. UPS does allow other brokers such as yourself but I don't know if FedEx or DHL allows that.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
The warranty would be strictly US only.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: The warranty would be strictly US only.
Warranty depends on the policy of the camera maker. I've bought numerous Olympus products from its store in e-Bay (olympusamerica) and even bought extended warranty from them. In most cases, the cameras can be serviced in Canada. There are 2 camera centres that do warranty service, Nortown in Mississauga and Vancam in Vancouver. It was a nice experience buying from them as GST and PST are calculated and paid and there is no additional cost of brokerage charge or hassle of waiting for 3 weeks for the item to clear the customs. Items are shipped via Purolator and usually arrived in a week to 10 days. Shipping are cheap too, some small items just cost $3 US to ship.
Sep 9, 2003
792 posts
105 upvotes
Calgary
its Nikons warranty that is strictly US only, Canon transfers across fine.

The markup (oh I'm sorrry, I mean the "exchange rate" that still thinks its 1996) on cameras is absolutely ludicrous.

Average price on the xti body in the US is around 700 (655 at abesofmaine.com when I looked, 660 on dell.com). Price up here? 930. Thats over a 30% pocketlining by Canadian retailers for something that has zero customs charges to bring across the border. But you do have to make absolutely sure whoever you deal with will use USPS instead of UPS/Fedex (unless you like handing over another 50 bucks after the fact)

You are basically tossing away money buying a camera up here.
Signs you're a postwhore:
1) You say "I got that cheaper", but don't say where, or when.
2) Your post contains less than 5 words.
3) Your post contains more than 5 words, but none of them are about the topic of the thread.
Dec 31, 1969
Canada Post charged me a duty of just less than $20 on a camera I bought on ebay from the US.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
jvangilst wrote: Canada Post charged me a duty of just less than $20 on a camera I bought on ebay from the US.
It's probably not duty, but GST and PST. When you buy an item which you have not paid the taxes on, customs officers will evaluate the value of the item and require you to pay taxes on them. Sometimes the valuation is higher, sometimes it is lower. If it is higher, you can dispute this by showing the proof of purchase from e-Bay. If it is lower, just keep quiet. ;)

There is a form that is attached to the package that you have to fill in. I am in GTA and the place to do this is in Scarborough. It had happened to me once for a used lens, and yes, I still have to pay taxes on a 2nd hand lens.