• Aug 9th, 2018 8:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5883 posts
6124 upvotes

Dynamic IP Internet Service + Third Party Static IP

Hi Folks,

Due to regional constraints, I'm unable to get static IP service in my area. I'm wondering if there's a way to setup a static IP for VPN use and potential server purposes?

Is it feasible through router settings or third party static IP services? I'm in Hamilton.

Thank you.
12 replies
Jul 15, 2003
403 posts
132 upvotes
You can use a dynamic domain name service and use an updater tool so that when your IP changes the dynamic domain changes
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1812 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
BTW you can set up a dynamic domain for free. I've been using https://freemyip.com for a month now and it's been great.
You don't need to create an account or anything. Just go to the website and enter the domain name you want. They create a token on the spot and you use that to identify your domain.
Brilliant IMO.

Also depending on your router's firmware you may be able to set up the domain update there (I'm using AdvanceTomato which has this feature).
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5883 posts
6124 upvotes
@joo

Does the D-Link DSR-250N do the job as a VPN router on a dynamic IP? Or should I be looking to third party routers.

Theoretically, it shouldn't need a third party firmware to do what I need it to do if it uses http://freemyip.com or some other solutions.

@SecretSauce, can you name particular updater tools?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5883 posts
6124 upvotes
I see you've peaced out. Hopefully I can get some constructive suggestions from others.

For those learned and willing:
We are moving from an ultraslow static IP internet service from Bell to an alternative service at 120mpbs under Dynamic IP. We have VPN needs that depend on a static IP, would you suggest something like freemyip.com and/or an updater tool?

My hope is to convey a solution to my IT guy.

Thanks folks.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2792 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:17 am
I see you've peaced out. Hopefully I can get some constructive suggestions from others.

We are moving from an ultraslow static IP internet service from Bell to an alternative service at 120mpbs under Dynamic IP. We have VPN needs that depend on a static IP, would you suggest something like freemyip.com and/or an updater tool?

Thanks folks.
Yes. You can use dynamic DNS. Just change your VPN clients to point to that DNS name instead of the static IP. I'm surprised you mentioned that you also have an IT guy, since this kind of solution should have already been proposed by them. It's fairly simple and straightforward.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5883 posts
6124 upvotes
trane0 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 12:12 pm
Yes. You can use dynamic DNS. Just change your VPN clients to point to that DNS name instead of the static IP. I'm surprised you mentioned that you also have an IT guy, since this kind of solution should have already been proposed by them. It's fairly simple and straightforward.
Thank you, sir.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30310 posts
4909 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
redflagdealsguy wrote:
would you suggest something like freemyip.com and/or an updater tool?
You need both. The update tool (app) is used to update the dynamic IP at your location to freemyip.com so that

redflagdeals.freemyip.com = {your dynamic IP}

You point your open VPN clients to redflagdeals.freemyip.com instead of using a static IP.

If you need help, send me a message.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5883 posts
6124 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 4:32 pm
You need both. The update tool (app) is used to update the dynamic IP at your location to freemyip.com so that

redflagdeals.freemyip.com = {your dynamic IP}

You point your open VPN clients to redflagdeals.freemyip.com instead of using a static IP.

If you need help, send me a message.
That's very kind of you. I will speak to one of the other VPs to confirm some details, and may PM you at that point.
Jul 15, 2003
403 posts
132 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:

Thanks folks.
I'm always happy to help someone out that is also willing to do a bit of research themselves when a possible solution is given to them..

There are literally dozens of tools that will do the auto update, but it really depends on your own situation and setup, what OS you use, what router you use etc etc etc

If you are attempting to setup a vpn then you will need a little bit of technical know how and do some of your own research or else you will run into all kinds of issues.

The journey is all part of the fun and excitement of doing this sort of thing
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1812 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 5:53 am
@joo

Does the D-Link DSR-250N do the job as a VPN router on a dynamic IP? Or should I be looking to third party routers.

Theoretically, it shouldn't need a third party firmware to do what I need it to do if it uses http://freemyip.com or some other solutions.

@SecretSauce, can you name particular updater tools?

OP, since your router is a small business model I think Dlink provides a way for you to get a free dyndns account, and the support for it is built into the router.
Take a look here https://www.dlinkddns.com/howto and pass that along to your IT guy.
This is probably the best, cleanest way to set up a static address for your router. And, yes it should support VPN as well.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto