• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 3:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 13, 2006
297 posts
33 upvotes

Dyson Groom

Have anyone here used the dyson groom attachment? I have a German Shepherd and I am tired of finding fur everywhere. I am wondering how much it improves vs. just using furminator. Also any idea on how to sanitize these things? I am thinking of getting the used one and clean it properly before I use it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dyson-Groom/dp/B004BA8WRI
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5129 posts
1740 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Bought one on a whim from a Best Buy store as it was on clearance. Works pretty well for the price I paid (can't remember... couldn't have been more than $30, so I know I got a deal).

I have husky/malamutes so this works great for their seasonal sheds. German Shepherds are a more hair-like fur (vs. husky undercoat fluff during shedding season) so I don't know whether that makes a difference. It's pretty similar to a Furminator, just with the benefit of vacuuming up the fur as you go (so it doesn't end up all over the place when you're brushing).
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10588 posts
1260 upvotes
I wouldn't say it's similar to a Furminator. Furminator uses metal teeth. The Dyson looks like a needle brush.

I don't have this, but it looks like it would be cumbersome to use. Looks like the hose would get in the way and the added weight could get tiring over time.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2006
297 posts
33 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback. Any other alternative beyond the dyson groom or furminator?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5129 posts
1740 upvotes
Kingston, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 11:22 am
I wouldn't say it's similar to a Furminator. Furminator uses metal teeth. The Dyson looks like a needle brush.

I don't have this, but it looks like it would be cumbersome to use. Looks like the hose would get in the way and the added weight could get tiring over time.
Sorry, to clarify I meant functionally similar. You know how with a Furminator you can quickly repeat brushing over the same area, and the fur just falls to the ground? It's not like a traditional needle brush where you have to constantly clean hair out or it stops working. The Dyson Groom works in a similar way. There's a thumb indent on the attachment that you push down to expose the 'needles,' and you control how far out they come (basically adjusting for your dog's coat). When the needles fill up, you release your thumb, and the vacuum sucks the hair (now released from the needles) into the central vacuum hole.

Basically you're able to brush fairly continuously, unlike stopping to clean hair out of an old-school brush, and unlike a Furminator or similar tool there's not a whole pile of hair on the floor to clean up afterwards.
May 24, 2007
71 posts
2 upvotes
This might work for people with dogs that's not scared of the vacuum. What I do is leave the vacuum on while I'm Furminating her and just feed the fur to the vacuum. No mess, no clean up (other than putting the vacuum back in the closet). Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 10, 2004
445 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
i have a sheltie, so i totally get the fur thing. my dog used to be pretty nervous around the vacuum because of the loud noise but I would turn it on and slowly bring her towards it to get her accustomed to the noise. I am actually at the point where i can brush her with the vacuum. i have a dyson canister vac and i just use the little bristle brush to suck out any loose fur but stroking her fur with it. i don't know how well the actual grooming attachment works compared to my regular grooming brushes but when i groom my dog, it's a long 1 hour process of trimming her paws, nails, and using various brushes to brush her out. Regardless of the grooming tool, I'd still get fur all over me when I groom my dog. If I have the vac out for something else, I'll see if she wants to do a quick brush to get loose fur out between grooms. I thought about getting the groom attachment but i think at this point I'm fine without it.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10588 posts
1260 upvotes
escalade wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:43 pm
Does this work with cats?
Try vacuuming your cat. If it freaks out, then no. Also needle brushes for cats should have rounded tips. Cats don't have the thick hide that dogs have, so a normal needle brush can irritate a cat's skin and even cause it to bleed with excessive brushing.