Shopping Discussion

e-CT money not working right at CT gas stations?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 12:50 pm
Jun 24, 2017
194 posts
155 upvotes

e-CT money not working right at CT gas stations?

I've been going to the Canadian Tire gas stations to get the CT money with fillups... Usually I've been using my CT Mastercard which would give 20x CT money (they recently changed it to 5c/litre), and would get between $1.40 and 2.10 or so in CT money depending on how much gas I got.

A few times lately I've tried paying with a different card and just swiping my key tag for the CT money... that is supposed to earn a multiplier, but out of the 4 or 5 times I've done it it seems to only have worked for the right multiplier once or twice.

For example yesterday I filled my vehicle with 41L and the CT money this week is supposed to be 4 cents a litre. So that should be $1.46 in CT money... I paid with Amex and swiped my CT money tag... I checked the receipt after (and the CT app) and only got 0.21 cents... Obviously not right. I looked back on my last couple fill ups and I only got like 0.14 on one that also should have been over a dollar.

Anyone have this happen before? Am I supposed to call CT?
3 replies
Jul 31, 2008
244 posts
79 upvotes
Agree ... CT has just moved away from the multiplier to a direct amount per Litre reimbursement added to the CT money card.

If one has current CT flyer - go to very last page where it mentions:

CT branded MC - 5c/L
Cash or Debit (ranges from 3c/L to 4.5c/L) - this week it is 4c/L

Note: Above rates are considered bonus (like old multiplier).

Since using the Amex is neither CT MC nor Cash/Debit ... just Receiving Base
(think old 1x multiplier) rate = 0.5c/L

Side note: There are always RFD threads about CT gift cards and using them at Gas Bar
because CT gift cards are considered cash

Personally I fill up once a week at CT gas bar.
I don't have a CT branded MC but I usually pay by gift card or other form of cash

i.e. Avoid using other third party branded CC unless it gives you higher cash back/points percentage

Hope this helps
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
CrazyPete wrote: I've been going to the Canadian Tire gas stations to get the CT money with fillups... Usually I've been using my CT Mastercard which would give 20x CT money (they recently changed it to 5c/litre), and would get between $1.40 and 2.10 or so in CT money depending on how much gas I got.

A few times lately I've tried paying with a different card and just swiping my key tag for the CT money... that is supposed to earn a multiplier, but out of the 4 or 5 times I've done it it seems to only have worked for the right multiplier once or twice.

For example yesterday I filled my vehicle with 41L and the CT money this week is supposed to be 4 cents a litre. So that should be $1.46 in CT money... I paid with Amex and swiped my CT money tag... I checked the receipt after (and the CT app) and only got 0.21 cents... Obviously not right. I looked back on my last couple fill ups and I only got like 0.14 on one that also should have been over a dollar.

Anyone have this happen before? Am I supposed to call CT?
actually its right, you cannot use other credit cards only CT credit for 5 cents or cash/debit with key fob for 4 cents/liter
Jun 24, 2017
194 posts
155 upvotes
Doh! I see now... I wasn't reading the fine print.

That actually makes sense since the only time I paid without my CT Options MC and still got the multiplier was when I was using a CT gift card, now that I think about it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)