• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 12:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2017
1 posts

Ear Piercing For Baby

Hi! My daughter is now 6 months old and I want to have her ears pierced.

I really don’t know where to have her ears done, so here are my questions—

1. Where did you get your baby’s ears pierced?
2. Is there a store that specializes in ear piercing of babies 6 months old or younger?
3. Have you tried their services and would you recommend the store?
29 replies
Sep 3, 2013
666 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
My niece got her ears pierced at 4 months at Claire’s. You can find them in most malls. I held her while she got them pierced. It was quick and if I had a daughter I’d get it done there too. It’s been a year and no infection whatsoever.
Mar 24, 2015
585 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My colleague had her daughter's ears pierced at a tattoo parlor and it was a great experience but it's probably more expensive than Claire's.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16335 posts
4968 upvotes
Ottawa
I recommend to get it done by aesthetician.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2756 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
we went to claires
FS/FT: none atm
Apr 4, 2012
445 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
ckay1980 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:56 pm
My colleague had her daughter's ears pierced at a tattoo parlor and it was a great experience but it's probably more expensive than Claire's.
Im definitely going to my tattoo & piercing shop, they wont do it until my daughter is 4 yrs (dont know of any professional piercers that will do it on a infant), most use a hypodermic needles and are against piercing guns. I personally wouldn't use a gun due to my own bad experience dealing with an infection.
Jan 2, 2015
980 posts
366 upvotes
Generally, I would recommend an aesthetician or tatto parlour. Many of those mall places such as Claire’s etc are alright but it will depend 9n who you get. Most aren’t trained. I have heard more bad experiences from those places than any where else.

Also, I know it’s for a baby, but i do know a people that had their ears done when they were babies but then their ears grew differently and it looks odd.

Not saying this stuff will happen, just higher risks.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Aug 15, 2015
171 posts
28 upvotes
Markham, ON
If I was your baby, I would prefer to make the decision myself. I have never pierced my ears and don't want them to be pierced.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9230 posts
3313 upvotes
Ottawa
We had our daughter's ears pieced after her 4 month vaccines. We were advised to wait to that point.

My wife went to Visage who also has locations in Toronto. Perhaps pricier than Claire's (Visage is free when you buy their 14K earings which my wife paid about $80 for, not sure what CLaire charges) but they specialize in baby ear piecing...and it's a human being after all, you can find other ways to save money.
https://carylbakervisage.com/pages/earpiercing

They use a specialized system specifically for babies and the details are on their site. Basically it's a round screw that doesn't poke in the back of the baby's ear. The piercers are fully trained to pierce babies, they were really good, no crying, all smiles.

I just called my wife for these details and she said she would never go to Clare's where it's the luck of the draw who does the piecing that day, often done by teens.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Apr 10, 2011
243 posts
84 upvotes
I think you should wait until your daughter is old enough to make her own decisions on what she wants to do with her body.
Apr 23, 2011
40 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Visage. Very good experience. They know what they’re doing.
Nov 13, 2013
758 posts
254 upvotes
OTTAWA
Poppwl wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:51 am
If I was your baby, I would prefer to make the decision myself. I have never pierced my ears and don't want them to be pierced.
Interesting comment. As a man I commented on the circumcision thread that it's not like piercing that everybody gets and it makes sense to do it in infancy. After all almost nobody gets circumcised as a teen or adult.
Your comment made me think we really shouldn't pierce babies either. I was slightly against it before and didn't do it for my girls because I think it looks ridiculous and we oversexualize young girls enough but I never thought about the possibility they might not want it at all which is an even more important consideration.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16335 posts
4968 upvotes
Ottawa
fogetmylogin wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:58 am
Interesting comment. As a man I commented on the circumcision thread that it's not like piercing that everybody gets and it makes sense to do it in infancy. After all almost nobody gets circumcised as a teen or adult.
Your comment made me think we really shouldn't pierce babies either. I was slightly against it before and didn't do it for my girls because I think it looks ridiculous and we oversexualize young girls enough but I never thought about the possibility they might not want it at all which is an even more important consideration.
I'm sure this is not how you really think!
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
255 upvotes
I'd recommend sticking to a place that uses a hand clasp device with single use, dsiaposable cartrige. It's not the old school, spring loaded 'gun' type. Inverness and Studex make these hand clasp devices and they're the same at all places that use those systems.
Nov 6, 2014
84 posts
38 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
We had our daughter done at 6months at her pediatricians office. No issues. Just ask the reception if they do it and cost. They give a numbing cream for the earlobes, and a board of different earings to choose from. No infections, clean them morning and evening and rotate them.