Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2921 posts
365 upvotes
Mississauga

earliest age to neuter my puppy

Thoughts? I neutered my cat at 5 months.

My dog is sweet and has a great disposition don't want him to become aggressive etc. would like to do it as earlier as possible.

The vet I use says 6 months at the earliest. I would do sooner if no health issues.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
676 upvotes
South of Ottawa
What kind of dog?

There are studies out there that suggest 6 months or later, however it depends on the size/breed of dog. And there aren't any comprehensive studies that prove early neutering is detrimental.

My 45lb labradoodle has had two litters. Her breeder sterilizes all of her pups before letting them go to their new homes, so at 8-10 weeks old.
Apr 25, 2011
904 posts
438 upvotes
British Columbia
Shelters can do it at two months (8 weeks) or 2 pounds.

I would wait until 6 months. There's no need to do it sooner; shelters need to do it that young to ensure the animals don't breed once out of their care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2921 posts
365 upvotes
Mississauga
The dog is a Chihuahua.

he is beautiful :)

I hear its good to do it sooner less chance of biting/aggression and leg lifting during peeing.
Mar 11, 2012
279 posts
66 upvotes
What kind of dog?
There's a debate now to neuter dogs of the larger breed later 1.5 years is what I'm aiming for on my husky.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2958 posts
444 upvotes
What did your vet say? Our dog was neutered at 7 months - exactly as recommended. I was afraid that a basket of his puppies would show up on our doorstep judging by the ladies who found him ever so attractive (despite the fact that he looks like a girl).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2921 posts
365 upvotes
Mississauga
the vet said 6 months though if it meant hed be less aggressive or territorial id rather do it sooner. not all vet's are created equal I have found
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2958 posts
444 upvotes
dreaderus wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 9:59 am
the vet said 6 months though if it meant hed be less aggressive or territorial id rather do it sooner. not all vet's are created equal I have found
Agreed. However, you have to pick the best vet that you can find and go with his/her opinion. We have been going to the same vet practice for 35 years. If we did not trust them we would have found another vet.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Hahahha yeah, biting and leg lifting had nothing to do with neutering or not.

Leg lifting is a learned behaviour.
Biting/aggression has nothing to do with testestorne levels either. Agggession is typically tear based ...

Here's a good breakdown of why/when to spay/neuteur
https://positively.com/dog-wellness/hea ... ay-neuter/
Jan 16, 2007
934 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
I wish I did it earlier, if just to reduce the chance of him in learning his humping behaviour. Just glad he never does it in public.
Mar 7, 2007
11 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Humping, leg lifting and aggression are training issues. And what exactly is a problem with a male dog lifting his leg? I much prefer when my male lifts a leg and pees on a tree than squats and pees on his legs.
Jan 16, 2007
934 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
My guy learned, while still intact, that humping was pleasurable. Now he continues the act, even though the effects are not present. ie, the red lipstick effect.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
676 upvotes
South of Ottawa
My big guy was neutered at just over a year old. He has a tendency to mark when visiting new places. And he still tries to get it on with my smaller female doodle when she's in heat. They've tied a few times in the last two years, but other than that, no humping.