• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 3:52 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
973 upvotes
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:42 pm
The whole labour process takes 24+ hours for the first child. How far is your travel destination? If the drive is 5 hours than I presume the flight would be ~2 hours or so. You could easily come back in time but don't take the risk and take your wife with you. Make her very comfortable. Which means comfort of the home, lots of rest, etc.
Don't count on 24 hours. My first labour only lasted around 8 hours. My third I didn't even start feeling strong contactsions until about 3-4 hours before my son was born (my second was maybe 6 hours). I only knew I was in labour earlier in the day because I had been through it twice already. Every time my water broke at the hospital.

Every woman is different and ever labour will be different. Don't count on anything happening a certain way. Some women labour for a day or more their first baby. Many others are only in labour for a few hours.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
^ Agreed - and don't assume a 'normal' labour and delivery, either - you never know what can happen.

I never expected our situation - I was in labour 10 hours and then had to have an emergency c-section; I just couldn't imagine if my husband hadn't been there with me/us. My husband got to spend that precious first hour with our son after he was born, since I was under general anaesthesia.
Aug 5, 2008
142 posts
87 upvotes
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:42 pm
The whole labour process takes 24+ hours for the first child. How far is your travel destination? If the drive is 5 hours than I presume the flight would be ~2 hours or so. You could easily come back in time but don't take the risk and take your wife with you. Make her very comfortable. Which means comfort of the home, lots of rest, etc.
With my only child, the labour process was way less than 24 hours. I think a bit over 12 hours.
Sep 19, 2013
883 posts
224 upvotes
Winnipeg
DO NOT have your wife take this trip. You missing the delivery is a better outcome than both of you in a car far from a hospital. trust me, the wives turn into monsters at that time (no offence to moms, just figuratively speaking). so you will be on your own if any unfortunate event happens.
Jan 27, 2015
908 posts
335 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Momof3cuties wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:54 pm
Don't count on 24 hours. My first labour only lasted around 8 hours. My third I didn't even start feeling strong contactsions until about 3-4 hours before my son was born (my second was maybe 6 hours). I only knew I was in labour earlier in the day because I had been through it twice already. Every time my water broke at the hospital.

Every woman is different and ever labour will be different. Don't count on anything happening a certain way. Some women labour for a day or more their first baby. Many others are only in labour for a few hours.
For every woman, the labour will be different. Absolutely correct.