None
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
11 posts
28 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Early Childhood Education- good career?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here on RFD took ECE and could share any experiences (work and school). I'm interested in pursuing this career choice since I like working with children and the teaching job outlook is atrocious right now. Any helpful feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
You think teaching is bad? These days electrical and computer engineering (ECE) graduates can send out thousands, or sometimes even tens of thousands of resumes and not even land a single interview. Top graduates from these programs, say the top quartile graduates, are having the most trouble. After the collapse of Nortel, the high tech market was flooded with ex Nortel employees with 10+ years experience working in embedded systems design and RF electronics. Since the market was so bad for high tech after this collapse, these guys had to settle for applying to entry level positions. With this influx of applicants, you often have 1000+ resumes submitted per position in the high tech sector. New grads, say the top 5% of the graduating class, can not possibly stand out amongst these ex-Nortel applicants and their resumes are often filtered to the garbage bin by HR lackeys. With HR taking over and destroying companies these days, the top 5% of the graduating class of ECE can expect to be underemployed or unemployed for virtually the rest of their lives.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
^Me thinks you should have read the title (you know that thing that says EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION) and the post... ECE in this case = early childhood educator.

To OP, ECE has its opportunities more so than regular teaching principally because of full day kindergarton wherein the classes usually have a teacher and one or two ECEs. That said, they are not paid anywhere near what teachers (with tenure and experience) get paid.

Edit: Sorry forgot to add, had a couple of friends who did ECE after teachers college as a result of realizing there are so few jobs and too many graduates. They found employment last year in schools that were in the first round of full day kindergarton rollout.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
dibksbgon wrote:
May 21st, 2012 2:08 pm
^Me thinks you should have read the title (you know that thing that says EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION) and the post... ECE in this case = early childhood educator.

To OP, ECE has its opportunities more so than regular teaching principally because of full day kindergarton wherein the classes usually have a teacher and one or two ECEs. That said, they are not paid anywhere near what teachers (with tenure and experience) get paid.

Early childhood education, hardly. You should be ashamed of yourself for downplaying the struggle that the ECE (electrical and computer engineering) professionals have had to endure for the last decade. Dibksbgon, it's not uncommon for HR to receive hundreds, or even thousands of resumes from highly qualified candidates for a single entry level posting. On top of the HR often filters by buzz words and look for the candidates with the right 'soft skills' rather than any technical ability. Winning this HR selection recruitment process is nearly impossible, the average ECE graduate can expect a career filled with under and unemployment.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
JK400 wrote:
May 21st, 2012 2:16 pm
Early childhood education, hardly. You should be ashamed of yourself for downplaying the struggle that the ECE (electrical and computer engineering) professionals have had to endure for the last decade. Dibksbgon, it's not uncommon for HR to receive hundreds, or even thousands of resumes from highly qualified candidates for a single entry level posting. On top of the HR often filters by buzz words and look for the candidates with the right 'soft skills' rather than any technical ability. Winning this HR selection recruitment process is nearly impossible, the average ECE graduate can expect a career filled with under and unemployment.

Seriously WHAT are you talking about?

OP is not talking about electrical and computer engineering.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
11 posts
28 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Just to clarify, I'm referring to EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION and not electrical and computer engineering.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes
michelle41 wrote:
May 21st, 2012 2:23 pm
Just to clarify, I'm referring to EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION and not electrical and computer engineering.

When you wrote "teaching job outlook is atrocious", I think JK400 was just comparing Early Childhood Education against Electrical Computer Engineering.

Anyway, I know 2 people who took Early Childhood Education. One of them studied 2-3 years at Centennial college and took co-op (end up doing day care stuff - 30-40k). The other person studied 4 years at Ryerson to get a degree then went to teachers college (wants to get into Toronto school district board).

Make sure you get into co-op. Also, volunteer at Toronto Library (reading program for children) can also make your resume look good. Otherwise you may be unemployed after you graduate.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
11 posts
28 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I see now where the miscommunication occurred. At the time, I just didn't want the thread to become a mess of complaints about the job market.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7055 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
I have a cousin that went to Sheridan for a 2 year ECE program. After a few years of working in the field, she went back to school to train for something else.

Although she enjoyed working with the kids (which is why she went into the field), financially it wasn't going to be enough to live on for the long term. $25,000 - $30,000 was the max she would have been able to make working 40/hours a week unless she was able to get into a government funded or city job. There were many daycares offering about $14/hour for ECEs with 5+ years experience. Straight out of college, you would be lucky to get anything above minimum wage and often that is offered to those with experience as well.

There are a few government funded jobs or city daycares that pay better, but they are often not full time, hours are often cut and the funding can be withdrawn at any time.

Also, you now must 'register' with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators. You have to pay $75 initially and then $150 every year.

If you are going to get the education and run your own home based daycare, you will likely do much better financially.

I'm not saying don't go into, but be aware and do some research about the type of money you can make. My relative said that had she done her research when she finished high school she would have picked a different career path in the beginning (rather than a few years later) since it wasn't possible to live adequately on the pay that is available for most ECEs - which is too bad since she loved working with the kids and it was her ideal job - it just didn't pay nearly enough.
Apr 12, 2012
232 posts
6 upvotes
EAST YORK
This is a good career specially if you love working with children. But money wise this is not the best choice. However, the difference with this career is the fulfillment every time you were able to teach these kids good stuffs. Being one of those people who made an impact in somebody's life has no value.
Oct 2, 2010
35 posts
3 upvotes
Milton
I am also thinking of doing ECE Fast Track but the career growth and the money part does not seem very hopeful.
Do you think a new ECE graduate will get a job in School Board's full day kindergarten program in 2014?
Oct 19, 2009
870 posts
32 upvotes
Markham
Personally, I've heard that the money isn't that great but the people who do it, absolutely love their job.

It all really depends on what you want out of your career.
Mar 10, 2011
321 posts
102 upvotes
Edmonton
My mom works as an ECE, she also teaches some ECE courses for evening class students.

I think she enjoys her career, and it is rewarding for her. She is in her mid 50s now and I think the demand of working with young children is taking its toll on her as she is often tired after work.

When I was a high school student I volunteered at her centre a few times and I found it to be absolutely exhausting.
Nov 21, 2012
4 posts
NORTH YORK
I heard the amount of work you do is not worth the compensation. For sure, its not worth it money-wise as its mentally exhausting taking care of the kids.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4017 posts
1578 upvotes
Vancouver
My ex was an Early Childhood Educator and it didn't pay much. She worked full-time in a union job and it paid $18 an hour (and that was considered high for the industry).
× < >