Real Estate

Earn back buyer's real estate agent commission - Become an Agent. New Humber College Course is now live!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
3306 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 9:47 am

I made over $150K on the side in my first year on just 3 deals. I did no work, no marketing, no nothing but just the 3 transactions. I continue to operate on this basis. My costs were less than 5% of that and that includes the one-time cost of the course.
Your example is an exception though. to make 150k on just 3 deals means each home was worth 2m.
New agents may have a couple deals just fall on their lap, but to continue earning real money, getting clients, it takes hard work .
Cash Rebate Realtor
Full-time & Full Service
Homelife Bayview
May 5, 2007
656 posts
93 upvotes
North York
How much of the annual Licensing fees and TREB/RECO/OREA fees can you write off on your taxes?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14521 posts
4288 upvotes
Here 'n There
oasis100 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 2:34 pm
Your example is an exception though. to make 150k on just 3 deals means each home was worth 2m.
New agents may have a couple deals just fall on their lap, but to continue earning real money, getting clients, it takes hard work .
Agreed, but that's not the reason I became one and same for many on here. Even one deal would have earned me $50K for under $7K investment in time ($4K of which is not recurring) and a few months of study, which was interesting in itself even if I didn't do another single deal. Where else can you get that kind or ROI? If you are thinking of buying or selling a home it's a slam dunk as the deal is already in your lap.

I never ever said it wasn't hard work to be a full-time agent, To adapt an analogy coined by Warren Buffett with regard to investing: "Being an agent is easy but hard to do"
Sep 16, 2010
741 posts
246 upvotes
Mississauga
eonibm wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 3:53 pm
To adapt an analogy coined by Warren Buffett with regard to investing: "Being an agent is easy but hard to do"
I like how you are on top of your game with your signature! :)
Thanks again for this highly informative thread and your help answering questions. Hope you and others will still be around on this thread to give guidance after April 30th. I am on my 2nd course now.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
3597 posts
578 upvotes
Hamilton
Thinking of signing up!
So the contract states I need to find employment with a brokerage as per below:
Following completion of the Pre-Registration Segment, students have up to 12 months to obtain employment with a brokerage and apply for registration as a salesperson with the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO).
What is the cheapest?
From what I read in the initial post, I can find one for $99 annually and only pay the $35 monthly fee when I am listing.
Any cheap brokerage recommendation?

Also, briefly reading post 265, I can park my license. ( will read it in full later, on a time crunch currently)
Can I park it off the bat without joining a brokerage initially?
Or must I find employment with a brokerage at least once to fulfill the initial contract?
Apr 11, 2019
16 posts
13 upvotes
sidshock wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 5:08 am
Thinking of signing up!
So the contract states I need to find employment with a brokerage as per below:
Following completion of the Pre-Registration Segment, students have up to 12 months to obtain employment with a brokerage and apply for registration as a salesperson with the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO).
What is the cheapest?
From what I read in the initial post, I can find one for $99 annually and only pay the $35 monthly fee when I am listing.
Any cheap brokerage recommendation?

Also, briefly reading post 265, I can park my license. ( will read it in full later, on a time crunch currently)
Can I park it off the bat without joining a brokerage initially?
Or must I find employment with a brokerage at least once to fulfill the initial contract?
New Registrants -> Park license
https://www.realestateparking.ca/index. ... it-works-3
May 5, 2007
656 posts
93 upvotes
North York
OREA nobody picks up the phone

OREA chat support doesn't work

OREAM nobody responds to emails.

I signed up yesterday still did not receive confirmation email saying my education was accepted. Anybody else in this predicament?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2314 posts
494 upvotes
afshaikh wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 9:50 am
OREA nobody picks up the phone

OREA chat support doesn't work

OREAM nobody responds to emails.

I signed up yesterday still did not receive confirmation email saying my education was accepted. Anybody else in this predicament?
Given today is the deadline to apply for the program, they must be heck busy with getting last batch of applications. All I know is if you apply before April 30th you are good to go, you don't have to get a confirmation email by April 30th. Speaking of timeline, I got mine in 4 business days so.
May 5, 2007
656 posts
93 upvotes
North York
Thanks. I've been trying to call them for several weeks. No response and the phone hangs up automatically. Not a good first experience.
Sep 16, 2010
741 posts
246 upvotes
Mississauga
For what it's worth, I was at their Don Mills location for my exams last Saturday and they were working around the clock processing applications. They must be hammered right now.
Oct 10, 2010
459 posts
261 upvotes
Hi,

There is a note about buying books elsewhere. When I registered for 1st course, I got eBook online. Is there a way to avoid getting this ebook (hence save money) or its default? How do I avoid signing up for a book when I sign up for courses?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2314 posts
494 upvotes
nik707 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 10:51 pm
Hi,

There is a note about buying books elsewhere. When I registered for 1st course, I got eBook online. Is there a way to avoid getting this ebook (hence save money) or its default? How do I avoid signing up for a book when I sign up for courses?

Thanks
I thought eBook price was already built in to the course fee, which you can't really opt out. What folks here saying about the other book is Passit. That's more like summary note for your test.
Apr 11, 2019
16 posts
13 upvotes
If you enroll in e-learning books are included (pdf, epub, and online html version)
Passit is an app simulating the actual exam.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14521 posts
4288 upvotes
Here 'n There
Well, almost 3 years after I created this thread and 133K views later congratulations to everyone that became a real estate salesperson by taking the low bar easy-peasy OREA course as a result of reading it. There are hundreds of you, gathering from all the PM's I received.

For those who haven't completed the course but applied before the deadline all course requirements must be completed on or before November 28, 2020.

For those contemplating become an agent, Humber College will be the new provider of real estate education in Ontario by providing a 'new cutting-edge salesperson program' accredited by the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO). Applications will start being accepted July 2019 with the course starting in September 2019. For those wondering what the difference is between this new course and the one that OREA used to provide, let me translate 'new cutting-edge salesperson program' for you. This means more difficult, will take longer, will require some in-person class attendance, will have other hurdles and will likely be more expensive. See https://humber.ca/realestate/ for more info. There is an FAQ at https://humber.ca/realestate/faqs.html

The good news is that you will still be able to do the course without having to quit your day job.

Sorry but I don't know any more than what is posted on the website.
Last edited by eonibm on May 1st, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.