Real Estate

Earn back buyer's real estate agent commission - Become an Agent. New Humber College Course is now live!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2023 4:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fmrrecoemployee wrote: Random question, has anyone actually followed the OP and done this and has now made it a full time career? Not just for like side deals etc. Just curious.
I'm almost done! I have a full-time job and two side businesses so I've only been able to commit about 10hrs/week to it so it's going to take me a full-year when it's all said and done but I'm hoping I can just run my side businesses and transact for friends/families. One of my good realtor friends with similar network is also moving to BC and is going to refer his clients to me. I would not suggest to do it unless you have a passion for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2222 posts
709 upvotes
what???? no one wants to be a real estate agent anymore? loll
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1838 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Hi there, does anyone have any notes they can share, I just read my first course 1 modules. I can pay you partially to cover some costs thank you in advance!
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
Singh_21 wrote: what???? no one wants to be a real estate agent anymore? loll
Surprised.
I heard agents are overpaid. Who doesn't want an overpaid job?
Full-time Realtor
Nov 18, 2008
751 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
I'm considering getting a real estate license, but more for personal reasons like buying a new home, and possibly selling mine and my spouse's properties.

I do not intend to make actual income as a real estate agent unless something lands in my lap.

Can real estate licensing/education fees be written off against rental property income?

Secondly what's the most cost effective way to "park" and maintain the license if not actively working? Tia!!
Mar 31, 2018
18 posts
4 upvotes
New agent here! I've interviewed a couple and here's the comission split and desk fee of the ones i interviewed:
-Ipro: $100 desk fee, $385/transaction. 100% comission

-Right at Home: $109 desk fee, $395/transaction. 100% comission

-Century21 leading edge:
Option A: no desk fee, $480/transaction, $800 annual fee, 80/20 split up to 60k GCI
Option B: $245 desk fee, $795/transaction, $435 annual fee, 100% comission

-Remax realtron: $204 desk fee, $410 annual fee, 70/30 split up to 57k GCI then it's 95/5

-Keller Williams Portfolio: $120 desk fee, 80/20 split with 25k cap

Anybody here has experience with those brokerages? On paper seems like ipro and RAH wins but split and fees are not everything for me. I also consider brand recognition, training/mentorship, marketing tools, etc
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
4133 posts
2172 upvotes
mixolydian wrote: New agent here! I've interviewed a couple and here's the comission split and desk fee of the ones i interviewed:
-Ipro: $100 desk fee, $385/transaction. 100% comission

-Right at Home: $109 desk fee, $395/transaction. 100% comission

-Century21 leading edge:
Option A: no desk fee, $480/transaction, $800 annual fee, 80/20 split up to 60k GCI
Option B: $245 desk fee, $795/transaction, $435 annual fee, 100% comission

-Remax realtron: $204 desk fee, $410 annual fee, 70/30 split up to 57k GCI then it's 95/5

-Keller Williams Portfolio: $120 desk fee, 80/20 split with 25k cap

Anybody here has experience with those brokerages? On paper seems like ipro and RAH wins but split and fees are not everything for me. I also consider brand recognition, training/mentorship, marketing tools, etc
I am with RAH and pretty happy with them. Different brokerages have different purposes. For me personally, I have a full time job so having a low fixed expense works for me. RAH has tons of training programs and have offices across Toronto/GTA. You can bring your laptop and work out of any offices.

If you are serious about becoming a full time RE agent and need solid mentorship, I would probably go with more of named brokerages out there (Remax, Centry21, KW...etc)
Mar 31, 2018
18 posts
4 upvotes
rapashoo wrote: I am with RAH and pretty happy with them. Different brokerages have different purposes. For me personally, I have a full time job so having a low fixed expense works for me. RAH has tons of training programs and have offices across Toronto/GTA. You can bring your laptop and work out of any offices.

If you are serious about becoming a full time RE agent and need solid mentorship, I would probably go with more of named brokerages out there (Remax, Centry21, KW...etc)

good point, thanks!
Oct 9, 2018
235 posts
103 upvotes
Anyone know what Royal LePage fees look like?