Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

"Earn with Drop" New Loyalty App

https://www.earnwithdrop.com/

A new app that tracks your spending on Credit Cards and offers rewards on top of any you may be already receiving. I don't know what the rewards are like or how fast they accrue but it's safe to say they'll probably be selling your spending habits and information.

Anyone familiar with it?
52 replies
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
There was a post about it about a month ago and I signed up with one of my cards and have been using it since. No complaints so far. I've redeemed $30 in Amazon credit without any trouble.

The "ongoing offers" in my app are

20pts for $1 spend at McDonalds & Tim Hortons
10pts for $1 spend at Shoppers Drug Mart & Starbucks
Subway was on there before at 15pts for $1 spend but has disappeared.

There are tons of one time offers that pop up
3000 points for $10 spend at Pizza Hut
10000 points for $50 spend at Best Buy
2500 points for any spend at Lululemon
50 points for each $1 spend at Sport Chek
3000 for $10 spend at The Beer Store
7000 points for $20 spend at Whole Foods
etc...

You can redeem for gift cards at 1000 points = $1
Starbucks comes in $7 and $10 gift cards
Amazon $10
Tim Hortons $10
Forever 21 $10
Cineplex $15
Lululemon $15
Apple $25
MEC $25
Sport Chek $25
Zara $30
Best Buy $50
Four Seasons $100

You need to give them your login details for the card you sign up with, as well as the security question answers if applicable.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the thorough reply! I did a search but couldn't find anything but if any one has the link to that thread, I'd love to take a look.
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
I responded to it but can't find it in my post history so it may have been deleted. The thread was only a few posts and mostly just people concerned about giving out their credit card details.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2933 posts
1524 upvotes
North York
fremmy wrote: There was a post about it about a month ago and I signed up with one of my cards and have been using it since. No complaints so far. I've redeemed $30 in Amazon credit without any trouble.

The "ongoing offers" in my app are

20pts for $1 spend at McDonalds & Tim Hortons
10pts for $1 spend at Shoppers Drug Mart & Starbucks
Subway was on there before at 15pts for $1 spend but has disappeared.

There are tons of one time offers that pop up
3000 points for $10 spend at Pizza Hut
10000 points for $50 spend at Best Buy
2500 points for any spend at Lululemon
50 points for each $1 spend at Sport Chek
3000 for $10 spend at The Beer Store
7000 points for $20 spend at Whole Foods
etc...

You can redeem for gift cards at 1000 points = $1
Starbucks comes in $7 and $10 gift cards
Amazon $10
Tim Hortons $10
Forever 21 $10
Cineplex $15
Lululemon $15
Apple $25
MEC $25
Sport Chek $25
Zara $30
Best Buy $50
Four Seasons $100

You need to give them your login details for the card you sign up with, as well as the security question answers if applicable.
Security questions too is just overkill. They should not need that.
Dec 29, 2007
487 posts
289 upvotes
Beware of your information and data being released to third parties...

4. Account Information from Third Party Sites

Users may direct Drop to retrieve their transaction-related information maintained online by third parties with which they have a relationship, maintain an account or engage in financial transactions (“Account Information”), for example, a bank. Drop works with one or more online service providers to access this Account Information.

Drop cannot always foresee or anticipate technical or other difficulties which may result in failure to obtain data or loss of data, personalization settings or other service interruptions. Drop cannot assume responsibility for the timeliness, accuracy, deletion, non-delivery or failure to store any user data, communications or personalization settings. Information may be more up-to-date when obtained directly from the relevant sites. You can refresh your Account Information through the Services, in the manner prescribed in the associated instructions.

As user of our Site and Services, you grant one of our service providers, Plaid, the right, power, and authority to access and transmit your data as reasonably necessary for Plaid to provide the Services. In addition, you acknowledge and agree that your personal information will be treated by Plaid in accordance with their privacy policy. You furthermore expressly grant Plaid the right, power and authority to (acting on your behalf) access and transmit your personal information as reasonably necessary for Plaid to provide the Service to you and Drop.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I figure anyone can access or pay for my spending habits if they really wanted. I mean Facebook sells your information and yet people still use it. Same with Google and most people have Google maps on their phone.
Dec 29, 2007
487 posts
289 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: I figure anyone can access or pay for my spending habits if they really wanted. I mean Facebook sells your information and yet people still use it. Same with Google and most people have Google maps on their phone.
Although you may be comfortable with providing your personal information, including banking passwords and PINs to strangers in other parts of the world, other people are not. Check out the reviews on the Android app.

Who knows, your identity might be stolen one day, and you can't borrow money from the bank or even work because you're a criminal.

Just beware...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
noproblem wrote:
djdestroyer wrote: I figure anyone can access or pay for my spending habits if they really wanted. I mean Facebook sells your information and yet people still use it. Same with Google and most people have Google maps on their phone.
Although you may be comfortable with providing your personal information, including banking passwords and PINs to strangers in other parts of the world, other people are not. Check out the reviews on the Android app.

Who knows, your identity might be stolen one day, and you can't borrow money from the bank or even work because you're a criminal.

Just beware...
Ok, that's all fine and scary but do you have any pertinent facts or sources to back up your claims? I'm not even trying to back them up but what you said is very vague and ambiguous.
Dec 29, 2007
487 posts
289 upvotes
I would suggest you Google "victims of cybercrime" and "identity theft".
Personally speaking, a friend's dad was a victim of identity theft and he had to change licence plates because the police would pull him over after running his plates. This happened many times, and he had to explain that he's not a criminal and he's a victim of identity theft.

Again, do some due diligence before providing information to third parties.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
fremmy wrote: You need to give them your login details for the card you sign up with, as well as the security question answers if applicable.
Even if people aren't concerned about doing this (don't get me started on how crazy that is...) consider that this violates the agreement you have with your credit card issuer (and/or bank.) If your account is ever breached and they discover you're using this program they're very likely to use this to deny any claims you may make from them. I wouldn't touch this sort of program with a 100m pole (or czech for that matter ;)).

BTW there are similar programs like AAdvantage Dining in operation. They just require your credit/debit card number. They don't ask for login credentials. So why does Drop need this info?
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
quazy wrote: Security questions too is just overkill. They should not need that.
of course they need it. How else are they supposed to log into your account and pull the spending details? It's not like they magically get a copy of your transactions sent to them every day.

I'm just very surprised the CC companies have not banned the IP range logging into these accounts and given their clients a stern warning.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
noproblem wrote: I would suggest you Google "victims of cybercrime" and "identity theft".
Personally speaking, a friend's dad was a victim of identity theft and he had to change licence plates because the police would pull him over after running his plates. This happened many times, and he had to explain that he's not a criminal and he's a victim of identity theft.

Again, do some due diligence before providing information to third parties.
Just more generic statements and one single anecdote. Of course I've done my due diligence and I'm not overly concerned with giving someone my bank information considering I do it every day with all sorts of different companies. It's a risk you have to take to play online.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bylo wrote:
fremmy wrote: You need to give them your login details for the card you sign up with, as well as the security question answers if applicable.
...consider that this violates the agreement you have with your credit card issuer (and/or bank.) If your account is ever breached and they discover you're using this program they're very likely to use this to deny any claims you may make from them.
Source?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
djdestroyer wrote:
bylo wrote:
...consider that this violates the agreement you have with your credit card issuer (and/or bank.) If your account is ever breached and they discover you're using this program they're very likely to use this to deny any claims you may make from them.
Source?
From TD's Visa cardholder agreement:
Electronic Services; Use and Protection of a Card, PIN or Password: The
following provisions apply to your use of a Card or the Account, including if we allow you to
access or use a Card or the Account for any Transaction, including a Purchase, or any other
activity on the Account with a personal identification code such as a Connect ID, Personal
Identification Number (PIN), and/or Password, through a terminal (including one that
accepts contactless payment cards) or other machine at an ATM, over the phone, on the
Internet, or other electronic service:

a) Access to or use of the Account through EasyLine® telephone banking, EasyWeb®
Internet banking or to make electronic bill payments, if offered by us, is governed
by the Bank’s Financial Services Terms if the Cardholder has signed a Financial
Services Agreement, or the Cardholder and Electronic Banking Services Agreement
applies if you have not signed a Financial Services Agreement.

b) Care and control of the Card, Connect ID, PIN and Password - You are responsible
for the care and control of the Card, Connect ID, PIN and Password. You must
maintain them safely at all times, which includes:
• keep possession of the Card;
• keep your PIN and Password separate from the Card and Connect ID;
• keep your PIN and Password strictly confidential;
• take all reasonable precautions to ensure that no one finds out your PIN or
Password, including while you key in your PIN or Password at an ATM or
other machine;
• avoid such PIN or Password combinations that may be easily determined by
others, such as birthdays, phone numbers, age, social insurance number etc.;
• ensure that each PIN or Password is unique; and
• contact us immediately if your Card is lost or stolen or your Connect ID, PIN or
Password becomes known to an unauthorized person.
Your Card, Connect ID, PIN or Password are reserved strictly for your own use. If
they are used by someone else, you will be required to prove that you took all
reasonable precautions to protect these items.

c) Your responsibility for use of the Card, Connect ID, PIN and Password – You are
responsible for the full amount of all authorized activity or other Transactions
resulting from use of the Card or Connect ID and PIN or Password by any person,
including any entry error or fraudulent or worthless deposit at an ATM or
other machine. You are responsible for the full amount of all activity or other
Transactions which occur before we receive notification that your PIN, Password
or Card was lost or stolen or that your Connect ID, PIN or Password may have
become known to an unauthorized person because we will consider that activity
authorized by you. On receiving such notice from you we will block the Card’s,
PIN’s or Connect ID’s ability to access our services and/or the use of a Card or
the Account.

d) Account activity – Our records will be conclusive proof of use of a Card or the
Account or electronic services and will be considered your written request to
perform the Transaction. Even though you may be provided with a Transaction
receipt, verification or confirmation number, or interim statement by or through an
ATM or other machine, the following applies to all Transactions or other activity
on the Account:
• our acceptance, count and verification of Transactions or deposits will be
considered correct and binding unless there is an obvious error; and
• Transactions or other activity on the Account through an ATM or other machine
may be credited or debited by us to the Account on a date determined by us.
This date may be different than the date on which you used the ATM, terminal
or other machine.

e) Access to other accounts – If we allow you to access or use any other account
(including a deposit account) that you have with the Bank or its affiliates using
your Card at an ATM, all of you, including any Authorized User from time to time,
will also have access to and will be able to use the other account. Use of the other
account includes conducting Transactions. By arranging and maintaining the access
to the other account using your Card, it means that you agree that all of you,
including any Authorized User from time to time, will have access to and use of
the other account.

f) Verified by Visa – You must register for and use the Verified by Visa* program
in order to access or use the Account for Internet transactions with participating
merchants. Access to or use of the Account using the Verified by Visa program is
governed by the Bank’s Verified by Visa Cardholder Terms of Service.
In particular, read b) and c).
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
Mint is against cardholder agreements too but many people use it.

Obviously that doesn't make Drop any better but it's up to you to decide if the risk/reward is worth it.

Hopefully they can come up with a better solution to track spending down the line.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fremmy wrote: Mint is against cardholder agreements too but many people use it.

Obviously that doesn't make Drop any better but it's up to you to decide if the risk/reward is worth it.

Hopefully they can come up with a better solution to track spending down the line.
This app is specifically what I had in mind when I was mentioning that I've given up details before, among other more generic apps but have pay features. The reward would not be worth it for me if the CC companies could deny insurance based on this alone. I've emailed both my CC companies as well as Drop to see if I can get a concrete answer.
Aug 2, 2008
69 posts
48 upvotes
Canada
djdestroyer wrote: This app is specifically what I had in mind when I was mentioning that I've given up details before, among other more generic apps but have pay features. The reward would not be worth it for me if the CC companies could deny insurance based on this alone. I've emailed both my CC companies as well as Drop to see if I can get a concrete answer.
Any response from your CC companies?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dealshopper wrote: Any response from your CC companies?
Nah, no replies so I just deleted it. Drop replied and (expectantly) said there would be no problems.
Dec 29, 2007
487 posts
289 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: Nah, no replies so I just deleted it. Drop replied and (expectantly) said there would be no problems.
RBC blocked Drop, so if one of the major banks has an issue with Drop, I think it's safe to say that Drop poses a huge risk.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)