Shopping Discussion

"Earn with Drop" New Loyalty App

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 6:07 pm
Tags:
Jun 5, 2016
279 posts
308 upvotes
Mint is against cardholder agreements too but many people use it.

Obviously that doesn't make Drop any better but it's up to you to decide if the risk/reward is worth it.

Hopefully they can come up with a better solution to track spending down the line.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1923 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fremmy wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 3:45 pm
Mint is against cardholder agreements too but many people use it.

Obviously that doesn't make Drop any better but it's up to you to decide if the risk/reward is worth it.

Hopefully they can come up with a better solution to track spending down the line.
This app is specifically what I had in mind when I was mentioning that I've given up details before, among other more generic apps but have pay features. The reward would not be worth it for me if the CC companies could deny insurance based on this alone. I've emailed both my CC companies as well as Drop to see if I can get a concrete answer.
Aug 2, 2008
7 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 6:05 pm
This app is specifically what I had in mind when I was mentioning that I've given up details before, among other more generic apps but have pay features. The reward would not be worth it for me if the CC companies could deny insurance based on this alone. I've emailed both my CC companies as well as Drop to see if I can get a concrete answer.
Any response from your CC companies?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1923 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dealshopper wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 6:05 pm
Any response from your CC companies?
Nah, no replies so I just deleted it. Drop replied and (expectantly) said there would be no problems.
Dec 29, 2007
309 posts
117 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 4:29 am
Nah, no replies so I just deleted it. Drop replied and (expectantly) said there would be no problems.
RBC blocked Drop, so if one of the major banks has an issue with Drop, I think it's safe to say that Drop poses a huge risk.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10283 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
noproblem wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 3:47 am
RBC blocked Drop, so if one of the major banks has an issue with Drop, I think it's safe to say that Drop poses a huge risk.
Not surprising since what Drop does violates banks' agreements with customers for online service access. (See my post upthread for TD's terms and conditions.)

Drop may be legitimate and it may be secure, but the onus remains with them to demonstrate it to the banks' and their customers' satisfaction. For example they could hire third-party auditors to certify their systems. Or they could get official blessings from the big-5 banks. So far I'm not aware that they have done anything like that.

I'm staying on the sidelines.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 20, 2017
2 posts
I just signed up! First of all, to those scare mongering about login info, none of your info is saved, you just authorize a key to authorize access to your spending data info.

I have a question, do you get points when you spend with amazon.ca or just .com? Appears amazon awards are also .com gift cards and not .ca, is this correct? If this is the case it makes no sense for Canadian users!
Feb 5, 2012
42 posts
133 upvotes
VICTORIA
Yeah, it's weird. They write Amazon.com on the titles but if you read the terms on offers it says either .com or .ca, and the reward titles says Amazon.ca
Jun 20, 2017
2 posts
Yeah I've noticed since it does say .ca on the rewards and in other areas. Thanks for the reply!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1836 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
The handing over of login details was a no go for me. I was really really interested in using the app till it told me to log into my accounts and save my passwords. It's one thing to track my spending using my cards its a other to ask for login details.

Deleted.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3979 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
there is no way to add TD Visa? you have to provide them the online login wtf? uninstalled
May 19, 2015
175 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jedijome wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 8:32 pm
The handing over of login details was a no go for me. I was really really interested in using the app till it told me to log into my accounts and save my passwords. It's one thing to track my spending using my cards its a other to ask for login details.

Deleted.
greg123 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 7:34 am
there is no way to add TD Visa? you have to provide them the online login wtf? uninstalled
Same. Deleted.
Shop&Deal-aholic... it's like gambling except I save money (that I may otherwise not have spent? 😄)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 2GB + free phone :twisted:
Mar 10, 2012
223 posts
239 upvotes
PEACHLAND
JonathanB920 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:05 am
RBC did block Drop but now allows it.
Doesn't work for me. Drop says RBC isn't supported
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10283 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
2003fxdl wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 1:36 pm
Doesn't work for me. Drop says RBC isn't supported
Where does Drop say that? I couldn't find anything on their website. I'm not going to install their app just to see what it says, let alone try to enroll in their system.

They still don't have a list of financial institutions that approve of their security, at least that I can find. I'd like to see a list of FIs who will indemnify customers who use their credit cards through Drop to the same extent that they do those who use their cards directly, i.e. not through Drop. Until they do that it's not worth the risk, to me, to install Drop.
veni, vidi, Visa