Shopping Discussion

"Earn with Drop" New Loyalty App

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 5:43 pm
Tags:
Newbie
Jul 7, 2007
85 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, friend just told me about this app. Just wanted to read more about what other people have experienced with this. But from what I've read so far, it seems that by signing up your cc you end up violating the T&C of your contract with the credit card companies?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12754 posts
5177 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
katwoman2000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:35 pm
it seems that by signing up your cc you end up violating the T&C of your contract with the credit card companies?
That's how I read the T&C of my CC agreements. Drop remains silent on this issue so I suspect they must realize it too. Otherwise I'd expect them either to get the banks to approve of their system or at least have Drop acknowledge that there's a potential risk.

That said, it's possible the banks won't approve Drop, not because of security risks, but rather they want to offer their own loyalty programs or at least exercise control over them. But if that's the case it doesn't bode well for Drop either.

I'm intrigued by Drop and I'm waiting for progress from them on this front. Until they do so, however, I'm not going to sign up.
veni, vidi, Visa
Newbie
Jul 7, 2007
85 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Completely agree with you @bylo. I'm definitely intrigued by a program that acts as extra rewards, but I am very wary about something that banks have rejected in the past. Need more info to make informed decision
Newbie
Sep 25, 2013
1 posts
Toronto
Just a counterpoint (and not enough to make me get the app, personally): what if RBC or other banks block the app not because of security concerns, but because having your personal information made available by Drop devalues that information should they want to sell it themselves?
Newbie
Aug 12, 2017
1 posts
I actually made an account JUST so I can day this.

If giving a third-party your account info is against the ToS.

Then PayPal violates it, Android Pay violates it, and Apple Pay violates it.
Sr. Member
Jul 4, 2006
564 posts
I have drop app. Its terrible. When you link your account, sometimes you get notified weeks later that there is a problem. I linked a TD credit and I did a lot of offers. Weeks went by and none of the offers showed up. Drop promised it will show up in my account but weeks later nothing still! Terrible customer service as well, it can take a week before you get a reply from this company! I would stay away from Drop.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 22, 2015
3519 posts
1389 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
PocketNetd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:54 pm
I actually made an account JUST so I can day this.

If giving a third-party your account info is against the ToS.

Then PayPal violates it, Android Pay violates it, and Apple Pay violates it.
How does PayPal violate anything? You enter your bank info, not your bank login/password...
Member
Oct 3, 2013
271 posts
166 upvotes
PocketNetd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:54 pm
I actually made an account JUST so I can day this.

If giving a third-party your account info is against the ToS.

Then PayPal violates it, Android Pay violates it, and Apple Pay violates it.
Unfortunately you are missing the fact that Drop asks for your private account information, so your argument is completely invalid. The other platforms link to your account, sure, but you are not required to give passwords or PINs out. The risks are insanely high if a breach were to occur with Drop.

Take for instance, Apple Pay, which you've cited. You are required to put in your card number, expiry, security code, name, and then you are required to verify your information via your bank (either via online banking or calling in). At no point are you asked for your online banking login information.
Newbie
Dec 1, 2017
1 posts
How do you know that by deleting or uninstalling the Drop account your financial account information is also deleted from Drop’s app database?
A friend sent me the link and I have signed up without thinking twice. Now I regretted it and wanted out. But I am not sure by deleting the app will also delete the information that I have given them. The company claims they do not store the info. But I can’t be sure.
Can anyone answer my question?
Jr. Member
Jul 2, 2013
188 posts
67 upvotes
VANCOUVER
does anyone see that the apple gift card and best buy redemption offers have been taken off?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 22, 2015
3519 posts
1389 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Gonecrazy100 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 5:33 pm
How do you know that by deleting or uninstalling the Drop account your financial account information is also deleted from Drop’s app database?
A friend sent me the link and I have signed up without thinking twice. Now I regretted it and wanted out. But I am not sure by deleting the app will also delete the information that I have given them. The company claims they do not store the info. But I can’t be sure.
Can anyone answer my question?
I just closed my account by creating a ticket. They said all information was deleted. Is it true? No Idea.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12754 posts
5177 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gonecrazy100 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 5:33 pm
How do you know that by deleting or uninstalling the Drop account your financial account information is also deleted from Drop’s app database?
A friend sent me the link and I have signed up without thinking twice. Now I regretted it and wanted out. But I am not sure by deleting the app will also delete the information that I have given them. The company claims they do not store the info. But I can’t be sure.
Can anyone answer my question?
Instead of trusting them to delete your data, why not just change your password(s)? Then it won't matter.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2006
1851 posts
398 upvotes
lame23 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 5:52 pm
I have drop app. Its terrible. When you link your account, sometimes you get notified weeks later that there is a problem. I linked a TD credit and I did a lot of offers. Weeks went by and none of the offers showed up. Drop promised it will show up in my account but weeks later nothing still! Terrible customer service as well, it can take a week before you get a reply from this company! I would stay away from Drop.
Yeah, constantly having to re-link your credit cards is a pain! I'm out once I reach the next redemption level.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite
2% cold hard cash on everything, no caps, VISA acceptance
48 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here

Top