"Earn with Drop" New Loyalty App

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 6:07 pm
Tags:
Jul 7, 2007
50 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, friend just told me about this app. Just wanted to read more about what other people have experienced with this. But from what I've read so far, it seems that by signing up your cc you end up violating the T&C of your contract with the credit card companies?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10112 posts
3065 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
katwoman2000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:35 pm
it seems that by signing up your cc you end up violating the T&C of your contract with the credit card companies?
That's how I read the T&C of my CC agreements. Drop remains silent on this issue so I suspect they must realize it too. Otherwise I'd expect them either to get the banks to approve of their system or at least have Drop acknowledge that there's a potential risk.

That said, it's possible the banks won't approve Drop, not because of security risks, but rather they want to offer their own loyalty programs or at least exercise control over them. But if that's the case it doesn't bode well for Drop either.

I'm intrigued by Drop and I'm waiting for progress from them on this front. Until they do so, however, I'm not going to sign up.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 7, 2007
50 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Completely agree with you @bylo. I'm definitely intrigued by a program that acts as extra rewards, but I am very wary about something that banks have rejected in the past. Need more info to make informed decision
Sep 25, 2013
1 posts
Toronto
Just a counterpoint (and not enough to make me get the app, personally): what if RBC or other banks block the app not because of security concerns, but because having your personal information made available by Drop devalues that information should they want to sell it themselves?
Aug 12, 2017
1 posts
I actually made an account JUST so I can day this.

If giving a third-party your account info is against the ToS.

Then PayPal violates it, Android Pay violates it, and Apple Pay violates it.
Jul 4, 2006
561 posts
I have drop app. Its terrible. When you link your account, sometimes you get notified weeks later that there is a problem. I linked a TD credit and I did a lot of offers. Weeks went by and none of the offers showed up. Drop promised it will show up in my account but weeks later nothing still! Terrible customer service as well, it can take a week before you get a reply from this company! I would stay away from Drop.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1247 posts
372 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
PocketNetd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:54 pm

How does PayPal violate anything? You enter your bank info, not your bank login/password...
Oct 3, 2013
218 posts
129 upvotes
BC
PocketNetd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:54 pm

Unfortunately you are missing the fact that Drop asks for your private account information, so your argument is completely invalid. The other platforms link to your account, sure, but you are not required to give passwords or PINs out. The risks are insanely high if a breach were to occur with Drop.

Take for instance, Apple Pay, which you've cited. You are required to put in your card number, expiry, security code, name, and then you are required to verify your information via your bank (either via online banking or calling in). At no point are you asked for your online banking login information.