Shopping Discussion

Easiest/cheapest way to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 12:59 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Easiest/cheapest way to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring?

My Aeroplan miles are going to expire in a month, what's the easiest/cheapest way to make a single transaction so it doesn't expire? I have about 6.5k miles on there and would suck if they reset it to 0, but I'm not interested in any of the under-10k rewards (mostly gift cards to random places I never go to). Is there somewhere where I could literally just get a drink or snack for $5 and get a few aeroplan miles?

Edit: Aeroplan miles
Last edited by Heartcloud on Nov 7th, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8102 posts
838 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:45 pm
Air Miles don't expire. Did you mean Aeroplan miles?
For Aeroplan used to be Esso, what's the easiest way now?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3808 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:45 pm
Air Miles don't expire. Did you mean Aeroplan miles?
AirMiles Reward Miles by LoyaltyOne don’t technically expire any more.
BUT they can go dormant (which is almost as bad as expiring)
From the AirMiles Website FAQs
AIR MILES Collector Accounts can become dormant if you have not collected, used, bought, or transferred at least one Mile for 24 consecutive months or longer. Once an Account is in this status, all Miles within the Account will also be dormant.

To reactivate your Account, simply swipe your card at any Partner Location. Once you've used you card, it may take approximately 24 hours for your Profile to become active again.

You also, have the option to buy back dormant Dream Miles in increments of 100 Miles for .15 cents per Mile plus tax (100 Miles = $15.00) and a $10 service fee per transaction. These Miles are deposited into your Dream Account immediately upon purchase, so you can use them right away.
Please remember, Miles purchased cannot be added towards your AIR MILES Cash Account.

If you're looking to buy back dormant Dream Miles, please scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on Contact us!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3808 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Definitely need more info...
Is it the AirMiles Reward Miles by LoyaltyOne you are concerned about
Or are these Air Miles from an Airline, like Aeroplan ?

If it’s the former ...
There are lots of ways to earn just a mile or two at the likes of Sobey’s, Rexall, Shell without spending oodles
Or earn 1000s relatively easy with the upcoming Annual AirMiles Shop the Block BIG BONUS EVENT

Either way... with 6,500 AirMiles in your account
And potentially having it go dormant (not using it for 24 Months)
You are not doing yourself any favours by not using those already earned Miles to your advantage

Ya need to check out some of the AirMiles threads here on RFD for pointers on better use of your Miles
See the main topic
AirMiles (2018 General Discussion) here = airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/

And the upcoming 2018 Shop The Block BIG BONUS EVENT here = air-miles-shop-block-2018-nationwide-no ... 7-2234901/
This RFD Topic is still under construction / in early stages as AirMiles has not released all the details as of yet. Most of what is known right now is the dates, and a few of the Partner Offers / Challenges. We expect to hear more by the weekend.
And if your issue is Aeroplan not AirMiles here is a RFD thread on that
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-get ... #p27410697

NOTE - Esso has left Aeroplan (they are now linked with PC Optimum). But the rest of the info in that thread is good.
At any rate... your OP could use an update, so folks know what exactly your Question refers to
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry for confusion, updated topic now, I meant Aeroplan miles. Keep getting these two mixed up since I rarely use either one,
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13767 posts
6169 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Heartcloud wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 7:17 pm
Sorry for confusion, updated topic now, I meant Aeroplan miles. Keep getting these two mixed up since I rarely use either one,
The thread title still reads, "Easiest/cheapest way to prevent air miles from expiring?" You need to edit that to say Aeroplan instead. It's the title that everyone sees in their Shopping Discussions thread list.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Dec 18, 2017
171 posts
65 upvotes
If you use Amazon, you can login to Amazon through the Aeroplan site and earn miles on a purchase. There are several online stores you can use this way, similar to the air miles shops program. It also used to be that you could make a charitable donation of miles through the website and this also kept your account active.

However, 6500 Aeroplan miles really aren't worth much. If you haven't earned any in 11 months, then that program really doesn't do anything for you. I would just take whatever I can get with those miles and let the account lapse at this point so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. It's not one of those plans where you will log in one day and find out you have enough miles for a trip or something. The earnings are just so miniscule unless you actually fly.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10899 posts
915 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
djeffery wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:37 pm
If you use Amazon, you can login to Amazon through the Aeroplan site and earn miles on a purchase.
Nuts, I did it once, and then I forgot the second time. Oh well, if I took the time to go through the Aeroplan route, I might have missed the red hot SSD price. It was gone 15min after I placed my order!

Thanks for the reminder, though :) .
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13767 posts
6169 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:12 pm
I think Carrot Rewards only works in Ont, BC and NFLD. Doesn't do me any good. :(
That's true. That's why when you sign up it's important to use an ON, BC or NL address ;) Carrot doesn't check.

(Just like when buying stuff online that can be downloaded or otherwise consumed online, it's important to use an AB address in order to save on the PST ;) )
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4731 posts
1156 upvotes
Alberta
bylo wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:14 am
That's true. That's why when you sign up it's important to use an ON, BC or NL address ;) Carrot doesn't check.

(Just like when buying stuff online that can be downloaded or otherwise consumed online, it's important to use an AB address in order to save on the PST ;) )
Awesome, that’s good to know. Will do. Thanks.
Oct 3, 2018
126 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
If one nearby, go to a Home Hardware store today, or by Sunday (Nov 13th) to pick up something minimum $2 before taxes ... or order online :)

https://www.homehardware.ca/store-locator

https://www.homehardware.ca/aeroplan

EARN 3X AEROPLAN® MILES IN-STORE & ONLINE

Get more with your next project and for a limited time, earn Triple Aeroplan Miles.

From November 7 – 13, 2018 you can earn 3X the miles when you shop in-store at Home Hardware, Building Centre and Furniture locations, or online at homehardware.ca. That's 3 miles per $2 spent (before tax)

p.s. don't let points expire, 6,500 is worth approx $65 or $90, depending on how much value you place on each AP mile :)