Shopping Discussion

Easiest/cheapest way to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 9:35 pm
Oct 3, 2018
128 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:22 am
That's if you redeem for flights. Someone who racks up relatively few AP miles will take a long time to get enough miles for a free flight, never mind having to pay AC's extra fees and surcharges,

But if you redeem for gift cards, 6,750 miles will buy a $50 Home Hardware GC. So if @djeffery has 6,500 miles now, it wouldn't be hard to add the remaining 250 miles using HH purchases and/or Carrot.
or OP may decide to get a credit card later if it works for his/her needs ... with Aeroplan 15,000 to 20,000 Welcome Bonus for example, when a FYF Offer is available :)
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13789 posts
6182 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:30 am
or OP may decide to get a credit card later if it works for his/her needs ... with Aeroplan 15,000 to 20,000 Welcome Bonus for example, when a FYF Offer is available :)
Yup, lots of options. It sounded like he didn't see any value in the 6,500 miles he has and was prepared to walk away, My point is that he's very close to getting something of value from them, especially if he buys stuff at HH.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Jul 3, 2013
15 posts
1 upvote
I use the Amazon link and bought something with amazon and never got credited. I hate how you can’t just go to Esso now. I have like 450k Aeroplan that I don’t know what to do with. Majority of the time the flight sechedule is really bad or it’s just cheaper to buy the flight when there’s a deal.
Oct 3, 2018
128 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
marmalade12 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:39 pm
I was planning to do the text opt in later in the year. Will keep my points for another year and maybe the new program will have some new partners.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-10 ... t-2223361/
Thanks for the AP text reminder!

On another note, I know how to find an old thread, however, I can't figure out how to cut and paste, to repost, like you did above.

Tried to figure out on my mobile RFD app ... Is this easier on laptop/desktop?

If you need to send me to another RFD thread for Newbies on tips and tricks, that would be great :) lol

Thanks in advance!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6250 posts
3845 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:00 pm
Thanks for the AP text reminder!

On another note, I know how to find an old thread, however, I can't figure out how to cut and paste, to repost, like you did above.

Tried to figure out on my mobile RFD app ... Is this easier on laptop/desktop?

If you need to send me to another RFD thread for Newbies on tips and tricks, that would be great :) lol

Thanks in advance!!
To cut & paste from another thread...

If it’s a Reply you want to copy it’s the same process as within any thread
Find the reply... CLICK on REPLY WITH QUOTE
Then cut it from that thread
And post it in another thread

If it’s copying the URL... the address for a website page

Go to the very very very top of your screen... look for the box your search engine uses to define the page

Example, I am using Google right now... the page definition for this page says... Forums.redflagdeals.com
When I click on it, it reveals the URL in its entirety

easiest-cheapest-way-prevent-aeroplan-m ... 2235720/2/

(Unfortunately when it transports it, it also often foreshortens it... I tried here to show the whole URL but could not )

Copy it... then paste it where you want to use it as a reference

Lol, if you follow any of my postings... you’ll often see I insert an X into my Reply while I go to look for the URLs to create a link
Just lets people know I am not done yet ... and will be back
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oct 3, 2018
128 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:22 pm
To cut & paste from another thread...

If it’s a Reply you want to copy it’s the same process as within any thread
Find the reply... CLICK on REPLY WITH QUOTE
Then cut it from that thread
And post it in another thread

If it’s copying the URL... the address for a website page

Go to the very very very top of your screen... look for the box your search engine uses to define the page

Example, I am using Google right now... the page definition for this page says... Forums.redflagdeals.com
When I click on it, it reveals the URL in its entirety

easiest-cheapest-way-prevent-aeroplan-m ... 2235720/2/

(Unfortunately when it transports it, it also often foreshortens it... I tried here to show the whole URL but could not )

Copy it... then paste it where you want to use it as a reference

Lol, if you follow any of my postings... you’ll often see I insert an X into my Reply while I go to look for the URLs to create a link
Just lets people know I am not done yet ... and will be back
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Think I was overcomplicating things via the RFD app since not able to view URL's.

Fyi I thought of you earlier, in the PC Optimum Discussion thread ... I will reply my 2 cents and will add @PointsHubby (assuming that alerts you that I am quoting you) and you can provide your additional input :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6250 posts
3845 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:39 pm
Think I was overcomplicating things via the RFD app since not able to view URL's.

Fyi I thought of you earlier, in the PC Optimum Discussion thread ... I will reply my 2 cents and will add @PointsHubby (assuming that alerts you that I am quoting you) and you can provide your additional input :)
Quoting someone as you did me in your Reply # 23 above
Sends that person a Quoted Notification
Using the @ prompt in front of their RFD User Name
Sends them a Mentioned Notification

That is if they have opted in to receive Notification Emails from RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4735 posts
1156 upvotes
Alberta
Just placed 4 orders using Aeroplan eStore. All using eBay and bought the same thing 4 different times @$1.30 CAD each and free shipping out of China. No rush and don't care if I receive them, just hoping to get one point on each account to keep our accounts active for another year.