Easiest way to accept credit cards payment on website

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 6:34 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
77 posts
11 upvotes

Easiest way to accept credit cards payment on website

What would be easiest implementation to have a cart integrated in the website to be able to accept credit card payments?
I dont plan to process payments directly, they have to be vetted and processed by a well known processor, i just want to have the payment option integrated with the cart.
Can someone please clarify?
Thanks in advance for yiur time
33 replies
Apr 2, 2009
829 posts
132 upvotes
Markham
jaguaar wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:50 am
What would be easiest implementation to have a cart integrated in the website to be able to accept credit card payments?
I dont plan to process payments directly, they have to be vetted and processed by a well known processor, i just want to have the payment option integrated with the cart.
Can someone please clarify?
Thanks in advance for yiur time
PayPal is the easiest and quickest way to accept credit cards on your website.
What shopping cart are you using?
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9841 posts
1057 upvotes
Stripe is another option if you don't want to go with paypal.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
77 posts
11 upvotes
techfox wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:35 am
What shopping cart are you using?
havent selected one yet, website design is still being finalized, hence the question.
I have used Paypal in the past but prefer to have more robust system in place this time.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
77 posts
11 upvotes
Anyone? which other cart / payment processor system I can use on the website to accept payments online (other than paypal)?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6848 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
jaguaar wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 7:19 pm
Anyone? which other cart / payment processor system I can use on the website to accept payments online (other than paypal)?
Cart and payment processor are two different things. As mentioned above stripe is pretty easy to integrate, most carts will have a plugin for it or you can roll your own.

There's a billion carts out there so you'll need to provide more details.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
77 posts
11 upvotes
gamechanger wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:35 pm
All providers will offer a hosted checkout option. It’s a question of compatibility, and of course, fees. I work in the industry and would be happy to provide more information as well as a quote. Feel free to dm me if you’d like more info.
Gamechanger - I have sent you the PM. I am mainly looking for a well known Canadian payment processor to accept payments. I can choose the cart accordingly. I guess the most popular in Canada are moneris, TD
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2545 posts
1138 upvotes
Calgaryish
jaguaar wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 7:19 pm
I'm stunned that nobody has mentioned Shopify.

They're based in Ottawa and their packages include a very good shopping cart experience and back end payment processing. You also get integration with shipping tools like shipstation (because you're not planning on reentering shipping information by hand, especially when there are dirt cheap solutions that will prepare 4x6 labels and customs forms if necessary).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6848 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
retrothing wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:13 am
I'm stunned that nobody has mentioned Shopify.

They're based in Ottawa and their packages include a very good shopping cart experience and back end payment processing. You also get integration with shipping tools like shipstation (because you're not planning on reentering shipping information by hand, especially when there are dirt cheap solutions that will prepare 4x6 labels and customs forms if necessary).
Well the OP sort implies he has an existing website he'd like to integrate payment processing with so shopify is not a good fit in that instance. Shopify is great though for those that are starting out and are not tech savvy if you understand the limitations of the platform.
Dec 3, 2017
6 posts
If you are starting a new website then start with PayPal they will charge overall about 4 to 5 %. Once your business will start growing then you can setup your own payment gateway.
Apr 6, 2010
492 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
perryalbert wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:18 am
If you are starting a new website then start with PayPal they will charge overall about 4 to 5 %. Once your business will start growing then you can setup your own payment gateway.
You're joking, right?
Jan 25, 2015
270 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cristian_01 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:17 am
You're joking, right?
Paypal charges 2.9% + $0.30 with the basic/starter account. Good enough to start off.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3727 posts
339 upvotes
Ottawa
ichpen wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 6:02 pm
Well the OP sort implies he has an existing website he'd like to integrate payment processing with so shopify is not a good fit in that instance. Shopify is great though for those that are starting out and are not tech savvy if you understand the limitations of the platform.
I've never used it myself but I know that you can use Shopify behind the scenes with an existing website (a friend was just talking about having done that a few weeks ago).
Oct 22, 2001
256 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Paypal is great. But you have to be careful what you're selling as they can hold your funds. Square is another option and I think they come with a site where you can accept payments directly.

If you're looking for something easy to start, WooCommerce is not bad. It's a bit confusing if you're not used to dealing with Wordpress. We used to use this.

Shopify is also an option, and they have a lot of "apps". The problem is that many of those apps are poorly designed and require hacking up your theme. So you end up paying developers a lot of money to get something simple done. And then when you want to revert those changes, you'll have to pay them again. It's the way they built up their ecosystem. We tried this out for about a year but ultimately left.

If you're looking to use something like Stripe, you'll also need a server backend to process the payments. We use a platform called Cartfunnel (on a plain Wordpress website) to handle all that. It's basically a hosted shopping cart which can handle a bunch of stuff like subscriptions, abandoned cart follow up emails, and upsells.

Some people I know use Magento, but they basically have hired in house developers to do a lot of custom work on their shops.
Turning off all RFD notifications... because all of it is eating up the 10 GB I got from Koodo.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
77 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks everyone for replying.
Paypal is certainly the best option when starting out but their payment holding tactics are very dangerous - something i have a bitter experience of in the past.
I was hoping that more similar, straight foreard, easy to setup payment processing options might be available now a days specially from banks like td, monetis, payfirma etc