None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10417 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton

Easiest way to clean car seat?

I have a fabric seat. It smells kinda sweaty from all the hours and hours I spend in my car everyday stuck in traffic. I didn't spill anything on the seat, it just kinda smells. What is the best way to clean the seat? I just want to clean it myself and don't need to take it to a detailing shop as the rest of the seats in the car are clean. Is there any shampoo cleaning product in stores like CT which I can use to clean my seat or what? Which do you recommend that work well?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22684 posts
7739 upvotes
Toronto
Steam cleaning a few times should reduce the odour
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10417 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
booblehead wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 7:26 pm
Steam cleaning a few times should reduce the odour
I don't have a steam cleaner and I don't feel like going to the grocery store to rent one just to clean my car seat. Do you think if I use my steam mop it will refresh the seat?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1181 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
How about just turning the AC on? You should never have to sweat in your car lol
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22684 posts
7739 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 7:28 pm
I don't have a steam cleaner and I don't feel like going to the grocery store to rent one just to clean my car seat. Do you think if I use my steam mop it will refresh the seat?
Sure try it (since you already have one handy)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10417 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
Jenuine wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 7:33 pm
How about just turning the AC on? You should never have to sweat in your car lol
Yea but the traffic makes me sweat even with the a/c.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17394 posts
1603 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tomato sauce. :)
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1204 upvotes
aGincourt
Spray with vinegar, let it sit for a bit, sprinkle baking soda, let it sit, then vaccumm
Jul 25, 2009
76 posts
44 upvotes
The smell is caused by bacteria. If you use something that kills the bacteria, the smell will just come back when the bacteria re-populates and feeds on the organic material you're sweating into the seat. I'd vacuum the hell out of the seat first, and then steam clean it. Many of the do-it-yourself car washes have coin operated steam cleaners as well as vacuums. A Canadian Tire gas bar with car wash will have them too. At least the one I go to on the Queensway does.

My kid puked in my back seat. It's perforated pleather, and a lot of the liquid seeped into the foam cushion. It was a nightmare to clean. I soaked the area in an enzyme cleaner that's meant for pet stains in carpets, and that did the job. You have to get it soaked, and let it dry out on its own though.

Or, you could just stop sniffing your seat. haha
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4715 posts
638 upvotes
use febreze and brush and then vacuum "wet" @ self car wash
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10853 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
take the seat cover off and drop it in the washing machine.

Hang it to dry