• Feb 28th, 2013 9:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
1629 posts
297 upvotes
HALIFAX

Eastlink Wireless finally about to launch

Years have gone by. Now Eastlink Wireless will finally open its network to paying customers. According to Mobilesyrup, the launchdate is Friday, Feb 15. Eastlink Wireless will provide services in Nova Scotia and PEI.

I did not see any pre-launch advertisement campaign from Eastlink. Thursday, there was an advertisement in the mail that predicted a start "this year". Ah well.
18 replies
Jul 12, 2010
50 posts
It's about time. Can't even use the BB10 launch as a joke anymore. It seems like a waste to send out that addressed ad-mail only a week before the actual launch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
1629 posts
297 upvotes
HALIFAX
And I have signed up for the "wireless info" mailinglist - not a word yet. Nothing ever has come over this list. Not that I have been waiting with abated breath, but it makes me wonder about the marketing strategy.
Jul 12, 2010
50 posts
Well the only thing they have communicated in the past is "We're no longer launching in 2009/10/11/12 we're going to launch 2010/11/12/13"...

Hopefully they have a half decent high speed and mobile bundle.
Dec 6, 2004
435 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax
rumors are this thursday,tomorrow actually.
but rumors only.
Jul 12, 2010
50 posts
LAUNCH FRIDAYTODAY (THURS)!!!!

Article in the G&M. Has coverage map!!! Also LTE from launch
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... um=twitter
Eastlink’s smartphone lineup will initially include the Sony Xperia T, Samsung Galaxy S III, LG Nexus 4 and two BlackBerry models including the Bold and Curve. Although it plans to offer the new BlackBerry 10 devices next month, it will not offer the iPhone.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4674 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
From G&M

"Since the wireless market is increasingly data-focused, Eastlink decided to launch its service on a 4G LTE (fourth-generation, long-term evolution) wireless network after other new entrants opted to launch with 3G. “There are a lot more devices available if you have LTE,” Mr. MacLellan said."

Interesting and smart. AWS 3G phones is going to be tough to source going forward when T-Mobile stops making asking for them in the next 2 or 3 years.
Dec 6, 2004
435 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax
was down to the opening on spring garden.
no deals,plans do not include voicemail($5 extra)
only 2 plans one $20 and one $30(more without an eastlink bundle)
data is extra 5gb for $30 or $35(cant remember)
anyway i thought they might have some promo plans for the launch,no such luck.
my $56 virgin promo plan beats them for sure.
i was so looking forward to this as i thought they would at least have some launch promos.
big fail for eastlink
all the info will be online tomorrow
Jul 12, 2010
50 posts
Data is
1GB $16/$20
2GB $20/$25
5GB $32/$40
Overages = 2c/mb
Roam Canada = 25c/mb

It should be noted that the bundle prices are with a full 4 tier buncle (mobile, HSI, TV, Landline), 2 and 3 tier bundles will be between the full and discounted price.

I agree this is somewhat like the big 3. I was hoping similar plans like Wind. Also regarding the coverage display. They said the red dots were rogers roaming towers, but I'm 100% there is no cell towers in one of the rural NS spots. Any one know if these are pending eastlink towers (it's on top of a mtn, so an excellent location for cell. there are currently only Seaside towers there now.)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
1629 posts
297 upvotes
HALIFAX
@ saturnsw2 I think the prices you mentioned already include a $5 opening promotion. Mobilesyrup quotes them at $25 and $37.50.

Generally speaking, these prices are reason to celebrate!

If you are the boss of Koodo or Virgin Mobile, that is.

Everyone else in Atlantic Canada has been quoted as: "Yawn."

Except for the initial coverage. It is a shock. They have had so many years to "make it right". If you start like this, you need to brand it as "Beta".

There was no marketing campaign leading up to the launch.

Long distance charges? Really? This is 2013, not 1983!

And if you are not yet convinced to look elsewhere, have a look at all those extra fees for "calling features", from voicemail to intl texting.

I hope it is a Beta launch and they have radically different things prepared. (Other markets should offer enough inspiration.) Simply copying the price plans of the big three is boring.
Dec 6, 2004
435 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax
sokolov wrote:
Feb 14th, 2013 10:32 pm
@ saturnsw2 I think the prices you mentioned already include a $5 opening promotion. Mobilesyrup quotes them at $25 and $37.50.

Generally speaking, these prices are reason to celebrate!

If you are the boss of Koodo or Virgin Mobile, that is.

Everyone else in Atlantic Canada has been quoted as: "Yawn."

Except for the initial coverage. It is a shock. They have had so many years to "make it right". If you start like this, you need to brand it as "Beta".

There was no marketing campaign leading up to the launch.

Long distance charges? Really? This is 2013, not 1983!

And if you are not yet convinced to look elsewhere, have a look at all those extra fees for "calling features", from voicemail to intl texting.

I hope it is a Beta launch and they have radically different things prepared. (Other markets should offer enough inspiration.) Simply copying the price plans of the big three is boring.
we have 3 phones off contract with telus since november, i was hoping for much better.
i had signed up with virgin for the $56 promo and unless this gets better fast i will be staying. even with us having an eastlink bundle the virgin mobile is better as all minutes are cross canada with no long distance charged. this has been an eastlink epic fail launch for sure
Nov 10, 2003
188 posts
563 upvotes
Do they want anyone to use the service? Just does not make sense. I was hoping for more wind like pricing and features....

Maybe they are trying to setup for a buy out?
× < >