Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eastporters.com

Epson Home Cinema 4010 $1,699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2020 3:30 pm
Jan 8, 2016
155 posts
195 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
CanadaCPU wrote: Maybe before accusing someone of Fake News you should do 5 seconds of due diligence - literally the first search hit confirms what I said directly from Epson themselves. Eastporters is NOT an authorized Epson dealer:

Buying from Eastporters means you have no warranty from Epson, which is what I said earlier. After performance per dollar, Epson's legendary warranty support is a key selling point. I suggest you edit your post to avoid spreading misinformation to other readers.

Snippets found within your link:

Why Buy from an Epson Authorized Home Entertainment Dealer?

Warranty protection. Epson is proud to offer some of the most reliable home entertainment projectors in the industry, backed by a renowned limited warranty. However, when a product is purchased from an unauthorized dealer, Epson cannot guarantee that the product will have been handled properly by the dealer or be eligible for warranty protection.

Followed by on same page whereby they list Eastporter as an authorized dealer:

The warranty on Epson home entertainment projectors is only valid if you purchased the product from an authorized dealer. The dealers listed below are unauthorized to sell Epson home entertainment projectors:

BuyDirect & Save-Canada
Higher Definition
Eastporters Audio Video
Gibbys Electronic Supermarket

If I missed something I apologize in advance, but what am I missing......?
Jul 14, 2019
755 posts
1215 upvotes
bubbabooie wrote: Snippets found within your link:

Why Buy from an Epson Authorized Home Entertainment Dealer?

Warranty protection. Epson is proud to offer some of the most reliable home entertainment projectors in the industry, backed by a renowned limited warranty. However, when a product is purchased from an unauthorized dealer, Epson cannot guarantee that the product will have been handled properly by the dealer or be eligible for warranty protection.

Followed by on same page whereby they list Eastporter as an authorized dealer:

The warranty on Epson home entertainment projectors is only valid if you purchased the product from an authorized dealer. The dealers listed below are unauthorized to sell Epson home entertainment projectors:

BuyDirect & Save-Canada
Higher Definition
Eastporters Audio Video
Gibbys Electronic Supermarket

If I missed something I apologize in advance, but what am I missing......?
Well, you didn't even read it haha - it says "the dealers listed below are UNauthorized to sell Epson home entertainment projectors". That list specifically mentions Eastporters as unauthorized. You just re-posted exactly what I quoted from their website.

UNauthorized = not authorized = no official warranty
Apr 27, 2008
13 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU wrote: I don't know what to tell you, Epson doesn't honor those warranties, as per what is explicitly written on their website.
And I don't know what to tell you, other than a disclaimer pasted on their website doesn't override their warranty obligations - as stated on their legally binding product warranty.

If they wanted to make purchasing from an authorized dealer an exclusion from getting warranty service, they need to write that into their warranty terms (if they even legally can). As it stands now, it is NOT referenced in either the 'What is Covered' or the 'Exclusions' sections. Purchasing and using their product in North America meets the conditions of their warranty, and as such the product is fully covered by Epson's published warranty.

Epson Warranty
Jul 14, 2019
755 posts
1215 upvotes
sspalding wrote: And I don't know what to tell you, other than a disclaimer pasted on their website doesn't override their warranty obligations - as stated on their legally binding product warranty.

If they wanted to make purchasing from an authorized dealer an exclusion from getting warranty service, they need to write that into their warranty terms (if they even legally can). As it stands now, it is NOT referenced in either the 'What is Covered' or the 'Exclusions' sections. Purchasing and using their product in North America meets the conditions of their warranty, and as such the product is fully covered by Epson's published warranty.

Epson Warranty
Good luck claiming that - you seemed to ignore the direct experience I mentioned with both custom HT installers specializing in Epson product and Epson product representatives who do not share your interpretation of the warranty, with the custom HT shop I deal with regularly having customers who specifically have had issues claiming warranties through Eastporters on Epson projectors (because there is no warranty). If you wanted to take Epson to court over the interpretation of their warranty fine print, you might get what you want because it's not worth it for them to fight it, but I think it's fair to say that is exponentially more effort than the average customer is willing to go through.

The situations I have seen are people who supply their own projector (Eastporters because they think they got a deal), and then let the custom HT shop do the rest. When that projector broke, Epson would not help them as per their clear statement that they do not honor warranty from Eastporters. As I said before, if Epson chooses to do a one-off warranty exception for a good customer on a grey market unit, that is possible, but not something I have ever heard of.

I can confirm through at least 3 different channels as well as personal experience that Epson will not honor warranty on projectors bought from Eastporters. And Eastporters doesn't even have the best prices, so there is no point in rolling the dice - I don't know why anyone would bother. If someone wants to buy from them go for it - but you won't get a warranty (or, at minimum, you will have a nightmare fighting for a claim) and you probably won't get the best price either.

What has been your personal experience with warranty on grey market Epson projectors?

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but all my personal experience, talking to Epson reps, and talking to HT installers who deal directly with Epson Canada on a daily basis do not agree with the interpretation of the warranty, regardless of what the fine print says. Short of taking them to court, you aren't getting warranty on units purchased from unauthorized dealers. Epson literally has a section of their website dedicated to telling people they do not honor warranty from Eastporters, probably because they have had so many issues.
Apr 27, 2008
13 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU wrote: Good luck claiming that - you seemed to ignore the direct experience I mentioned ...
I didn't ignore it, just treated it the same as any other anecdotal commentary I read on the internet - with a grain of salt.
CanadaCPU wrote: What has been your personal experience with warranty on grey market Epson projectors?
Never had a grey market projector, but I've had two previous generations of Epson projectors purchased from Eastporters. One of them was replaced by Epson as a direct exchange when it developed a green tint on one side of the image after several months use - no questions asked. The serial number was valid for the Canadian market, so it came from an authorized distributor. Eastporters sells a LOT of Epson projectors.
CanadaCPU wrote: And Eastporters doesn't even have the best prices, so there is no point in rolling the dice ...
Depends what and when you are buying. They often do have the best price.
CanadaCPU wrote: Epson literally has a section of their website dedicated to telling people they do not honor warranty from Eastporters, probably because they have had so many issues.
An opinion on your part. I've already given my opinion as to why they did that, likely at the behest of other dealers trying to protect their margins. Regardless, the published warranty still takes precedence.

My experience has been good with them. Sounds like you are happy with whomever you are using now - good for you! Winking Face
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks for pointing out that Eastporters is not an authorized dealer.

I have an Epson projector myself and needed warranty service so I would never roll the dice on buying from Eastporters when it's clearly stated on the website they are not authorized.

I think you might be best off buying the refurb for $1500. My Epson UB completely stopped working and Epson replaced it with a refurb. The refurb is good and never had a problem since.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Apr 24, 2012
68 posts
59 upvotes
SASKATOON
I got two free bulbs under warranty for my 8350, and two warranty replacements and a free bulb for my refurb 5040ub. Shipping was always express courier and free. They didn’t stop until I was happy and now I am very very happy.

The moral of the story is buy direct from Epson. I can’t stress that enough.
Jul 11, 2016
100 posts
69 upvotes
I can't wrap my head around how anyone here can argue that it's a good idea to buy from Eastporters. It says they're UNAUTHORIZED on the damn Epson website!!

I've dealt with home theater projectors for 20 years. DON'T screw around with warranty on these things, they do run into issues from time to time. Just wait until it's on sale and order from Costco or Amazon, don't risk it with grey market sellers.
Jan 22, 2017
50 posts
35 upvotes
Buying an Epson with a suspect warranty is like buying a JVC with mediocre black levels. Warranty is what sets Epson apart from the rest of the industry.
Mar 16, 2006
343 posts
344 upvotes
Interesting thread.

Warranty is certainly of concern and both debaters have raised good discussion points.

Perhaps those of you who have a recent Epson projector purchase from an ‘unauthorized dealer’ could go to Epson’s warranty validator link below.
Based on the required inputs in their online form (country and serial number), it suggests unauthorized dealers is a non-issue.
Try the link and see what happens. But remember, if your particular warranty end-date has expired it would likely fail so set your expectations accordingly.

Epson Warranty Validator
Last edited by amac on Jan 11th, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 5, 2013
291 posts
156 upvotes
NORTH YORK
greenglo wrote: I got two free bulbs under warranty for my 8350, and two warranty replacements and a free bulb for my refurb 5040ub. Shipping was always express courier and free. They didn’t stop until I was happy and now I am very very happy.

The moral of the story is buy direct from Epson. I can’t stress that enough.
What was the reason they covered a bulb replacement for the 5040?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7006 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
karvagio wrote: I can't wrap my head around how anyone here can argue that it's a good idea to buy from Eastporters. It says they're UNAUTHORIZED on the damn Epson website!!
How people are arguing this fact is beyond me. Epson themselves clearly state eastporters is unauthorized. It black and white.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Konowl wrote: How people are arguing this fact is beyond me. Epson themselves clearly state eastporters is unauthorized. It black and white.
Yup, all it takes is for Epson to ask where you bought it. You have to submit a proof of purchase for any warranty claim. I had to dig out my receipt (bought from Quebec Acoustics)
If the Customer Service is on the ball about Eastporters, the possibility of being denied is a real thing.

Warranty is a BIG deal for these devices. They can just die like mine, or there are LCD issues, fan issues, board issues, or bulb issues. They run hot and people do run into issues even a year or two down the road. Always buy with your credit card with warranty extension - pro tip
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7006 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
warpdrive wrote: Yup, all it takes is for Epson to ask where you bought it. You have to submit a proof of purchase for any warranty claim. I had to dig out my receipt (bought from Quebec Acoustics)
If the Customer Service is on the ball about Eastporters, the possibility of being denied is a real thing.

Warranty is a BIG deal for these devices. They can just die like mine, or there are LCD issues, fan issues, board issues, or bulb issues. They run hot and people do run into issues even a year or two down the road. Always buy with your credit card with warranty extension - pro tip
I only buy from authorized dealers hahaha. Speakers, subs, and projectors. These are the same people that will raise Holy hell when something does happen and they realize they have no warranty as well.
Last edited by Konowl on Jan 11th, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 8, 2016
155 posts
195 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I apologize. :)

Need my head read....

Note: my intent was to not have people discount Eastporters as an option as I have a good experience with them. They would not survive with their unique business model if they did not stand behind their products. This is my last post on this as I have embarrased myself enough.
Mar 16, 2006
343 posts
344 upvotes
Konowl wrote: How people are arguing this fact is beyond me. Epson themselves clearly state eastporters is unauthorized. It black and white.
Well perhaps because when presented with contradictory facts from the same organization some people want to learn the true reality from perceived reality. These situations happen quite often.

Some choose to pick one perceived fact and discount the other, some choose to search for the empirical reality. In North America you have reality of law versus reality of public desire.

Recent contradictory fact examples:
Iran 24 hours ago: we did not shoot down a passenger plane with a missile.
Iran 12 hours ago: we did shoot down the passenger plane with a missile.

Got on a bus last week where it bus route number was different on the front and back of the bus. I could choose to believe either one but may end up at the wrong destination.

Ontario government MTO:
Student handbook: G1 drivers can’t drive on 400 level roads.
Highway Traffic ACT: G1 drivers are prohibited only on specific named 400 level roads.
Note both of these statements are on the Ontario government website. So which truth would you like to believe? The one written by a lay-person or the one written by lawyers and upholdable in a court of law?
If you only read one of those statements, you are led to a different conclusion.

Websites are full of proven and unproven health claims. Yet many people are still bald, get colds, are overweight, and die unexpectedly.

Donald Trump? Let’s not even go there.

So if you choose to read only one set of presented facts and are happy with that, then waste no more time here and move on. Others have honest doubts and want clarity because humans chase the right balance of price, quality and service.
My earlier post offers a link that might help clarify how Epson’s warranty works. My projector is far too old so I can’t test it. I’m done here too.
Last edited by amac on Jan 11th, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7006 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
amac wrote: Well perhaps because when presented with contradictory facts from the same organization some people want to learn the true reality from perceived reality. These situations happen quite often.

Some choose to pick one perceived fact and discount the other, some choose to search for the empirical reality. In North America you have reality of law versus reality of public desire.

Recent contradictory fact examples:
Iran 24 hours ago: we did not shoot down a passenger plane with a missile.
Iran 12 hours ago: we did shoot down the passenger lane with a missile.

Got on a bus last week where it bus route number was different on the front and back of the bus. I could choose to believe either one but may end up at the wrong destination.

Ontario government MTO:
Student handbook: G1 drivers can’t drive on 400 level roads.
Highway Traffic ACT: G1 drivers are prohibited only on specific named 400 level roads.
Note both of these statements are on the Ontario government website. So which truth would you like to believe? The one written by a lay-person or the one written by lawyers and upholdable in a court of law?
If you only read one of those statements, you are led to a different conclusion.

Websites are full of proven and unproven health claims. Yet many people are still bald, get colds, are overweight, and die unexpectedly.

Donald Trump? Let’s not even go there.

So if you choose to read only one set of presented facts and are happy with that, then waste no more time here and move on. Others have honest doubts and want clarity because humans chase the right balance of price, quality and service.
Love comparing electronic warranties to potential wars and political figures.....

It's pretty black and white and right on the manufacturer website....
Apr 27, 2008
13 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
bubbabooie wrote: I apologize. :)

Need my head read....

Note: my intent was to not have people discount Eastporters as an option as I have a good experience with them. They would not survive with their unique business model if they did not stand behind their products. This is my last post on this as I have embarrased myself enough.
Don't let a simple misread sentence deter you from posting your opinions - ignore the snarky comments, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Your points are valid, and there's a reason why Eastporters has a 4.8 out of five average rating on Google reviews. Thanks for your post. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 27, 2008
13 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
oldmanlogan wrote: Just shop at Costco folks.
Can't argue with that. If they ever offered the brands and models of A/V equipment I wanted, I would - but unfortunately they have a very limited selection of products.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)