Food & Drink

!!!EASY QUESTION!!! I think? (about strawberries)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2004 7:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2004
402 posts
GTA

!!!EASY QUESTION!!! I think? (about strawberries)

I posted this on the Off-topic forum a few hours ago, and someone responded and told me to ask you guys, so here goes:

How would I go about making some sort of strawberry extract? The finished product I'm looking for is something like a syrupy type liquid, or even just a clear juice, of pure strawberry flavour. I want to use this in a drink I'm going to make, so any ideas on how to do this would rock. If you need more details on the end product I want just post it in the forum and I'll try to be a little clearer on what I'm looking for.

[Edit] Just an idea, would I have to boil the strawberries or something?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
Cut the strawberries up in a bowl, pour some sugar on them and leave 'em sit. They'll sorta bleed and make a strawberry syrup. You can pour that off and use it. It's that simple.

If you like, you can work the syrup a bit by heating to thicken and adding a bit of strawberry puree.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2003
1131 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
try the brown cow strawberry syrup or some rose syrup
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
easy answer..

CHANGE YOUR HEADING .... luring too many ppl in for nuthin....
Create your own custom Avatar @ AbiStation
May 19, 2004
496 posts
1 upvote
It's probably not what you're looking for... Try soaking some strawberries in vodka and let it sit for 3 days. Each strawberry is like a shot. Not too sure if the liquid is too high in alcohol content though, I don't remember much about that night :D
Sep 3, 2004
109 posts
You simmer the strawberies with a bit of water and sugar. After it's semi cool you put it through a fine mesh strainer.. the juice you are left with is called a coulis.. it can last a lot longer in the fridge and mixes well with everything!