• Jun 20th, 2018 4:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto

Easy way to cover this fence

The neighbors have made it clear that they don't want to replace the fence so I am stuck seeking alternate measures. This section of the fence is the only portion giving me problems because if I remove the 2 latticed panels, I can see pretty much the entire neighbors deck. I would like to remove the panels and replace them with something more appealing. The fence is leaning to my side and their deck is affixed to the fence post. Is there something inexpensive that is weather resistant that I can just stick up to the fence?
I don't want to waste time adding new wood lattice to an old fence.

IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6212 posts
1313 upvotes
Maple
The fence is in very bad shape; strong wind will knock it down. Looking at the fence, it was done in a cheap way and it wasn't done right either. You can do it right DIY. It should not cost lots of money.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7144 posts
4094 upvotes
Edmonton
What does the rest of your fence look like? If it was me, I'd probably try to do something that looked similar to that.

I'm surprised they could put a deck close enough to the property line to attach it to the fence posts... Must be a Toronto thing. :)

C
Feb 26, 2011
402 posts
332 upvotes
Calgary
DIrty-D wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:03 am
If I remove the 2 latticed panels, I can see pretty much the entire neighbors deck.
I would use this to my advantage as they can clearly see you as well.
DIrty-D wrote:
Their deck is affixed to the fence post.
I would check bylaws to see if that's permitted. Get your flame suit on and go to war.
DIrty-D wrote:
Is there something inexpensive that is weather resistant that I can just stick up to the fence?
If you really don't care, just a sheet of plywood would do. Plus they get to see the plywood from their side as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4118 posts
708 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DIrty-D wrote:
The neighbors have made it clear that they don't want to replace the fence so I am stuck seeking alternate measures. This section of the fence is the only portion giving me problems because if I remove the 2 latticed panels, I can see pretty much the entire neighbors deck. I would like to remove the panels and replace them with something more appealing. The fence is leaning to my side and their deck is affixed to the fence post. Is there something inexpensive that is weather resistant that I can just stick up to the fence?
I don't want to waste time adding new wood lattice to an old fence.

IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG
Does the neighbour see those panels as well? If they do, are they ok with how it looks?

I agree with you, it's appalling.

If the neighours aren't going to do anything about it, why would you want to take it upon yourself to replace the panels yourself, which would then benefit them, when they're content with what they have?

I would just overlay fence boards on your side so that it covers up "their" mess.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
I own the house. My neighbors are renters. The landlords don't give a shit about fixing anything and I give up arguing with them, they are super cheap. Last year they replaced half the roof because only one half faces the sun.
Apr 4, 2012
185 posts
73 upvotes
Laval, Que
If the main post are straight (can't really tell from the angel of the photo) it looks easily salvageable. I won't take much effort to realign the wood pieces in place and then nail them in. Clean with a pressure washer, re-stain and presto, "new fence" Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Penalty Box
Feb 25, 2018
392 posts
133 upvotes
Make a complaint to the city by-law. It is a hazard.
Feb 5, 2018
11 posts
1 upvote
If your neighbours are renters, its fair if they don't want to get involved into this. The fence was built very poorly in the first place, and I think temporary fixes wouldn't solve the problem. You need to replace the panel that is leaning on your side.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)