Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Oct 8, 2005
159 posts
Vancouver

eating expired meat?

it is ok to eat meat(beef/chicken) after the expire date, like 2 or 3 or 4 days? cuz i dont wanna throw it out cuz it seems like a waste? or is it really unheathly?
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
smell it. if it smells/tastes fine, its ok to eat.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1495 posts
21 upvotes
ecet wrote:it is ok to eat meat(beef/chicken) after the expire date, like 2 or 3 or 4 days? cuz i dont wanna throw it out cuz it seems like a waste? or is it really unheathly?

The risk is yours. I'd toss it. You should freeze items you are not going to eat before the expiration date.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15760 posts
1245 upvotes
GTA West
ecet wrote:i have some chicken and some beef, didnt check the beef, the chicken smelled a little, both said best before oct17th, and today is the 19th
If they smell 'funny,' that is your body's defence mechanims telling you it's not safe to eat that food.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4499 posts
159 upvotes
Vancity
hmmm, save a few bucks, or get horribly ill from salmonella and e.coli and whatever other nasties are in the meat.

decisions, decisions.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
2 days shouldn't be such a big deal. More than 5 might be though.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12195 posts
292 upvotes
Anessa wrote:2 days shouldn't be such a big deal. More than 5 might be though.
yea, if it still looks and smells alright, just make sure its cooked well done and it should be fine. in most situations 2 days is alright
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts
just throw it out, you'll probably be worried at every little cough or sneeze or stomach pain, thinking "geez, could it be that bad meat I just ate".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
I bought some cheap schneider steakettes in August as they were $2 for four patties making up a pound.

when i started using them for burgers i realised they were quite high in fat from the drippings and so i left them while i bought presiden't choice lean burgers instead.

The best before date is the 19th of OCtober and i used some on Saturday to make spaghetti sauce and i fried it up real good before ading the rest of ingredients and have eaten it and nothing has happened.

I still have some in sealed packages that is best before 19th of October and may not use it since it was so cheap but i am guessing that once there is no odd smell and it was frozen solid all along that you can use it as the best before date surely would have given a few days extra as it is simply a safety requirement by law for meat producers to protect themselves and consumers.

Just make sure to consume it all after cooking and while hot and don't bother leaving any for the next day.

I always end up using chicken after the best before date because I buy the family packs but don't eat meat everyday but what i do is once i thaw it i prepare them in separate parcels and season it and then freeze them in glad bags and use them within a week and never had any problems even with leftovers from the chicken.

How i cook my chicken though is i cut it up in small pieces and cook it in a pot and do not bake in large chunks etc so when i cook it, it gets really cooked and there is no chance of it even being undercooked so your cooking technique may also make a difference.

It's basically your call based on your judgement after your inspection and if in doubt I would rather throw it out than risk food poisoning and costlier hospital bills than the meat would have cost.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1304 posts
21 upvotes
Maple
smell it and look at it. otherwise, even if it slightly smells or looks bad, you can cook it to kill off the bacteria.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2019 posts
64 upvotes
If you had them frozen and are now defrosting it, it should be fine. If you had it sitting in the fridge for a week, that's more iffy...

Use your senses...! colour odor, etc. 2 days should be nothing to be worried about though.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1343 posts
92 upvotes
Most commercial ground beef is made from expired meat (roasts, steaks, etc)
× < >