• Sep 30th, 2016 1:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1275 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga

Eating subway everyday for lunch and diner

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if it's safe and healthy to eat subway six inch honey oat sandwich with meat and lots of veggies and mustard everyday for lunch and dinner . Is there a possibility this would damage my health? Cause I normally fill it with lots of veggies and use whole wheat bread and also avoid mayo
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Depends on the meat and bread choices...you could do worse.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1275 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
MaxPower19 wrote: Depends on the meat and bread choices...you could do worse.
I always get honey oat bread and for meat it's usually tuna, turkey, chicken breast
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Yeah if you're trying to be healthy, the honey oat would probably be considered more of a treat than a health item. Not to say your body can't handle it though - everyone's different. Those meat choices are good.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
saadt1988 wrote:
toronto19850 wrote: nope
What do u mean nope?
You asked if it would damage your health, I replied nope

Don't see how in anyway shape or form eating sandwiches would affect your health in a negative way, even with mayo, sauces, different meats, I can't see you developing anything from it.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1275 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
toronto19850 wrote:
saadt1988 wrote:
toronto19850 wrote: nope
What do u mean nope?

Don't see how in anyway shape or form eating sandwiches would affect your health in a negative way, even with mayo, sauces, different meats, I can't see you developing anything from it.
High blood pressure? High sugar? Heart attack? Cancer? The fact that their meat is processed? Don't you see all this?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Oh my! Would somebody think of the children!!!!
saadt1988 wrote:
toronto19850 wrote:
saadt1988 wrote:

What do u mean nope?

High blood pressure? High sugar? Heart attack? Cancer? The fact that their meat is processed? Don't you see all this?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
saadt1988 wrote:
toronto19850 wrote:
saadt1988 wrote:

What do u mean nope?

Oh! You meant those health problems? Still no...

You may as well not eat anything then, get your hunting gear and gather some berries...then throw your berries on the floor because theres sugar in them.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I think the biggest concern is probably high sodium content.
Aug 28, 2010
125 posts
39 upvotes
Orangeville
rkjredflag wrote: I think the biggest concern is probably high sodium content.
This. Just go to the subway website and you will see the calculate your sandwich option. You can see that adding any of the deli meats, pickles, cheese, or sauces (deli meats are a poor food choice in general) will put your sodium intake for a 12" to 75% of your daily limit. The lowest sodium/calorie sandwich I can see is the veggie delite with mustard for your sauce, but no pickles/cheese, add a protein shake, and you will have a decent meal.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
gongshow09 wrote:
rkjredflag wrote: I think the biggest concern is probably high sodium content.
This. Just go to the subway website and you will see the calculate your sandwich option. You can see that adding any of the deli meats, pickles, cheese, or sauces (deli meats are a poor food choice in general) will put your sodium intake for a 12" to 75% of your daily limit. The lowest sodium/calorie sandwich I can see is the veggie delite with mustard for your sauce, but no pickles/cheese, add a protein shake, and you will have a decent meal.
Thanks for checking, I did not actually look up the stats.

The OP mentioned his meal would be a 6" at lunch, and a 6" at dinner. So, if snacks and breakfast are low sodium options, it might be close to ok.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Sodium is NOT harmful to the body unless you have pre-existing hypertension, medical condition which prohibits excess sodium or kidney problems.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Over excessive amounts of sodium can be harmful.
toronto19850 wrote: Sodium is NOT harmful to the body unless you have pre-existing hypertension, medical condition which prohibits excess sodium or kidney problems.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Over excessive amounts of sodium can be harmful.
toronto19850 wrote: Sodium is NOT harmful to the body unless you have pre-existing hypertension, medical condition which prohibits excess sodium or kidney problems.
I am sure dumping a bottle of salt in your mouth isn't the best idea, eating subway twice a day? No problems.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Over excessive amounts of sodium can be harmful.
How would two subs a day be considered excessive or even over excessive?

How do you define excessive and what is the context?
Aug 28, 2010
125 posts
39 upvotes
Orangeville
Easy. The recommended sodium intake (which is salt) is 2300-2500mg (1 teaspoon) a day. Processed foods contain quite a bit of salt (preservative). So if you exceed the 2300-2500mg a day for an extended time, then you will be at higher risk to develop hypertension/related problems. Also, too little sodium can also cause problems, so you should be aiming for a moderate intake.

Edit: I guess 2500mg is still too high, here is the gov. sodium intake table. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/ ... ex-eng.php
Last edited by gongshow09 on Sep 23rd, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 28, 2010
125 posts
39 upvotes
Orangeville
So the example based off the OP sub on the 1st post.
6" turkey breast on honey oat, with shredded cheese (idk what he/she uses), all the veggies that are available (as OP says a couple times they put alof of veggies on), mustard. Total sodium content for that is 1130mg, so close to 50% for a 6" sub. People don't realize processed food is crazy high in sodium.

If the op doesn't want cheese, the sodium drops to 1040 mg....pretty high for 1 meal.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
At least they are stuffing their bread full of plastic anymore (supposedly)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)