Home & Garden

Eavestroughs are filled with ice and snow...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2007 12:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga

Eavestroughs are filled with ice and snow...

Is this normal? It seems like they should be able to flow.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
18 replies
Jan 13, 2004
968 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
It could be frozen if not u might want to get up there and check if u have leaves blocking the water flow.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Its just ice and snow.
I cleaned out the leaves in late fall.
Good-bye.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10083 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
Looks like this is happening everywhere...most houses have the same problem...including mine
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1495 posts
21 upvotes
Its winter. Doesnt this happen everywhere in canada?

Its nothing to worry about, water cant flow when its frozen. Once it warms up you'll be back to what you expect.
Dec 22, 2005
751 posts
4 upvotes
Dundas
Actually it can be a big problem. If your gutters are frozen, it could led to ice damns which will allow water to back up and flow under your shingles and into your house. If this does happen you can buy 'heating' cables that you run on the along the first feet of the roof and along the gutters. This will slowly melt the ice which will keep the water away from the roof.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
13988 posts
934 upvotes
Thornhill
yeah, mine too. i know my gutters are clean. must've been the constant hovering around 0-degrees that we had earlier - i have icicles hanging all over the roof.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Krox is right. It can cause an icedam. Problem is that there is not alot that you can do about it now. It is usually not a problem to just leave it til it melts.

I was wondering if you are on the eastside of a north/south street? My home is and my neighbor and I were talking about this yesterday. All of the homes on the eastside of the street, facing west, have freezing above the eaves and icicles hanging from the eavetrough. The westside has snow above the eaves but no ice or icicles. This is the third year in a row that we have noticed it. We also went around to the rear of the homes and there is no icicles or ice at all. Just seems to be the westfacing homes on the street.

Dave

BTW I also noticed that the icicles were dripping almost to a continuous flow. This to me indicates that there is melting occuring above and running down the roof as opposed to into the house. Also we had the roof reshingled a few years ago and had them put a icedam shield. It is plastic sheeting applied to the first 8 feet from the eave toward the apex of the roof. That may not be the proper name for it, but what the heck.
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
stealth wrote:
Jan 31st, 2007 5:09 pm
Its just ice and snow.
I cleaned out the leaves in late fall.
There is nothing you can do about it now. I would wait for everything to melt and them take a level to see if there is enough slope in the eavestroughs to ensure that the water is getting to the down spout.

sk
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6211 posts
79 upvotes
Krox wrote:
Jan 31st, 2007 7:50 pm
If this does happen you can buy 'heating' cables that you run on the along the first feet of the roof and along the gutters. This will slowly melt the ice which will keep the water away from the roof.
I had read somewhere that these heated cables are the worst thing you can do to a roof because it can cause worst damage than ice would do. I can't remember where I've heard that (mike holmes?)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Rembrandt100 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2007 2:38 am
Krox is right. It can cause an icedam. Problem is that there is not alot that you can do about it now. It is usually not a problem to just leave it til it melts.

I was wondering if you are on the eastside of a north/south street? My home is and my neighbor and I were talking about this yesterday. All of the homes on the eastside of the street, facing west, have freezing above the eaves and icicles hanging from the eavetrough. The westside has snow above the eaves but no ice or icicles. This is the third year in a row that we have noticed it. We also went around to the rear of the homes and there is no icicles or ice at all. Just seems to be the westfacing homes on the street.

Dave

BTW I also noticed that the icicles were dripping almost to a continuous flow. This to me indicates that there is melting occuring above and running down the roof as opposed to into the house. Also we had the roof reshingled a few years ago and had them put a icedam shield. It is plastic sheeting applied to the first 8 feet from the eave toward the apex of the roof. That may not be the proper name for it, but what the heck.
LOL...yes, our home is on the east side of a N/S street (the eaves in question are in the back though, facing west).

I think there is a definite "dip" in the eavestrough where ice has collected, but seems to have spread the whole way through. We're due for a new roof in that area so will prob get new gutters at the same time next yr.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote:
Feb 1st, 2007 1:00 pm
LOL...yes, our home is on the east side of a N/S street (the eaves in question are in the back though, facing west).
I have read this at least 5 times and I do not see how it is possable. If you are on the east side of n/s street the front of your home must face west.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2583 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Help!!.. i just got a new roof and eaves and soffits on last year. Tonight, I noticed in 2 of the bedrooms there are water marks at the edge of the ceiling and the exterior wall!.. waht should i do?? I wnet up to the attic, and i can see the water is coming in from the nail holes in the plywood of the roof.. is this the roofer's fault that water is coming in through those holes? I tried to call the roofer, he hasn't replied yet. What could be done for now? It's frozen and I think the water only comes in during the day when the sun is on the roof. Luckily it's -10 or lower all weekend. What will happen when the snow melts? I dont' want my ceilings to be damaged anymore..
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Well here I am, the bearer of bad tidings. If you are seeing water spots on the cieling you will have to replace the drywall also. This is not something that just happened in the last few days it has been happening for a long while. The water had to seep thu any insulaton and soak thu the cieling. The drywall is totally compromised. Go back up to the attic and over to where you see the leak from below and I bet you find the wet area is 5 times larger than it is below.

This happened to me a few years ago. I had a nonleaking roof reshingled just because I knew that the shingles there then were at least 22 years old. Fourteen months after the job was done the bathroom cieling bulged during a rain storm and I had to shove a knife thu it to release the water before it caved in. I had to replace a section of drywall at least 7 times larger than the visible leak.

Sorry but do not let anyone tell you that the drywall is still ok.

Dave
Nov 20, 2002
851 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
Rembrandt100 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2007 10:40 pm
I have read this at least 5 times and I do not see how it is possable. If you are on the east side of n/s street the front of your home must face west.

Dave
corner lot? :)
× < >