• Jan 23rd, 2019 3:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2246 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto

[EB Games] Blazblue Cross Tag Battle $29.99 for PS4

Thanks to azn0Richard0, mwatcher, SwaunyJones and Styleman for letting the RFD community know that Arc System Works, the developer behind this game, is pulling a b.s. maneuver with their DLC characters. Looks like all characters are on the disc, but half of them you have to pay to unlock them. This is reminiscent of the whole Street Fighter x Tekken controversy during the PS3/Xbox360 era.Angry Face I'm really disappointed in Arc System Works, as I really love their fighting games. :facepalm: Maybe this isn't such a good deal after all. Disappointed But Relieved Face

But as Jotamide has pointed out, no one blinked an eye for other fighting (or non-fighting) games that also had a season pass. Very good point indeed. Smiling Face With Open MouthGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

EB Games is selling Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle for the price of $29.99 for Playstation 4. They sell the game normally for $64.99, while Bestbuy.ca sells it for $59.99.

If you price match at Bestbuy, then it should come out to $26.99
($59.99 - $29.99 = $30 x 10% of the difference = $3 further off).

Good luck!
Last edited by tigerhawk33 on Jan 23rd, 2019 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
19 replies
Nov 9, 2010
944 posts
1539 upvotes
Montreal
Was waiting for a decent sale on this, so nabbed me a copy.
When the game first released they offered the first dlc pack characters for free and had grabbed them, but honestly hate that they paid-walled characters.

Looking at the psn store https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/gri ... g%20battle, there are 6 packs with 3 characters each going for 6.99.
Or a bundle for them all for 27$....

Hate how the the complete version of the game would effectively cost double the price if you want to unlock all the characters but i suppose it's cheaper than those who threw down on release...

Also, feel like price matching bestbuy is too much effort, and nowadays their brick and mortar stores rarely carry games outside of release date, which effectively kept me away from a physical bestbuy for what feels like over a year.
Nov 22, 2004
491 posts
578 upvotes
Buyer beware - almost half of the fighter roster requires DLC payment.
PSN: mwatcher
XBL: LionChi
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1462 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
mwatcher wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 2:44 pm
I've learned my lesson purchasing this series and now steer clear away from it now. They almost never have sales on their DLC either.
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Feb 22, 2012
461 posts
487 upvotes
Canada
mwatcher wrote:
SwaunyJones wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:11 pm
I've learned my lesson purchasing this series and now steer clear away from it now. They almost never have sales on their DLC either.
To add insult to injury, the DLC characters are "On disc". It's just a small download token to unlock the data that's already on your system if you own the base game.
RFD: Pick any two.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2246 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, I had no idea about the developer being so stingy with the DLC. What a darn shame that Arc System Works is pulling an "EA" or "Activision". I'll put a warning in the opening post.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2399 posts
1086 upvotes
Styleman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:39 pm
To add insult to injury, the DLC characters are "On disc". It's just a small download token to unlock the data that's already on your system if you own the base game.
Since they are already on the disc, any way to hack them, so that you have access to them, without paying?

Also +1 to everyone who gave the heads up. I intended to buy it (never played it before), but the whole DLC thing is a major no-no.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Feb 22, 2012
461 posts
487 upvotes
Canada
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:51 pm
Since they are already on the disc, any way to hack them, so that you have access to them, without paying?
Not on PS4.

Maybe on PC.

Yes on Nintendo Switch, where you could get the base game and all DLC for $0, but you wouldnt be able to play online.... offline only since the console would be banned shortly after the "jailbreak"

But... we wont go there since this is RED flag deals and not BLACK flag (pirate) deals.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Jul 28, 2010
886 posts
536 upvotes
mwatcher wrote:
Like most fighting games today. You aren't forced to buy them all at once either, the DLC is split in 6 packs and you can just get whichever characters you actually wanna play. Also, two DLC characters are free.
Styleman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:39 pm
The DLC characters datamined on release had incomplete or completely different moves as well as rougher sprites. Please do your research before spreading misinformation.
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:48 pm
Damn, I had no idea about the developer being so stingy with the DLC. What a darn shame that Arc System Works is pulling an "EA" or "Activision". I'll put a warning in the opening post.
Shame to see people are so easily swayed by posts like the ones above. A game like Dragon Ball FighterZ is $80 with a $47 season's pass that comprises a 3rd of the final roster (8 DLC characters out of 32, roughly $3.9 per character if you get the FighterZ Edition) where BBTAG is $65 and it's season's pass is $27 (18 DLC characters out of 40, roughly $2.4 per character if you get the Deluxe Edition). The cost of entry is much lower for Blazblue than DBFZ yet I don't see people slamming the latter as hard in online threads about it's DLC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2246 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Jotamide wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 7:35 am
Like most fighting games today. You aren't forced to buy them all at once either, the DLC is split in 6 packs and you can just get whichever characters you actually wanna play. Also, two DLC characters are free.

The DLC characters datamined on release had incomplete or completely different moves as well as rougher sprites. Please do your research before spreading misinformation.

Shame to see people are so easily swayed by posts like the ones above. A game like Dragon Ball FighterZ is $80 with a $47 season's pass that comprises a 3rd of the final roster (8 DLC characters out of 32, roughly $3.9 per character if you get the FighterZ Edition) where BBTAG is $65 and it's season's pass is $27 (18 DLC characters out of 40, roughly $2.4 per character if you get the Deluxe Edition). The cost of entry is much lower for Blazblue than DBFZ yet I don't see people slamming the latter as hard in online threads about it's DLC.
Thanks for your info and help about Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. Yes, you're right, no one complained about DBFZ's season pass (or other games). Well, it's always good to get info from others, as it helps shape the conversation.
Feb 22, 2012
461 posts
487 upvotes
Canada
Jotamide wrote:
I did do my research. In addition to countless news stories on the web, I checked a step further.

The download files for the DLC characters are only 120KB per character or for a set of 3 characters. For example:

Additional Character Yang Xiao Long = 120KB

Additional Characters Mai Natsume, Akihiko Sanada, Yuzuriha = 120KB

If you know anything about storage requirements, you will know that 120KB is extremely small and not nearly big enough to store the graphics and character data for 1 fighter, let alone 3. These 120KB files are merely unlock tokens for what is already in the base game (plus update patches).

Enough proof for you?
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5659 posts
1540 upvotes
Scarborough
mwatcher wrote:
That's absolute bullshirt. I would never support a company that pulled that kind of crap. I can understand 1 or 2 expansion characters, but half the roster? Unbelievable
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2148 posts
973 upvotes
I'm all for season pass that actually adds content, not locks content that is already on the disc.

DLC should always be downloadable content, not disc-locked content.
Nov 22, 2004
491 posts
578 upvotes
Jotamide wrote:

Swayed? It's called being informed with both sides of the coin. Frankly, the fact that the characters are already in the game and require a $$ to unlock them is an insult to gamers.
PSN: mwatcher
XBL: LionChi
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
3133 posts
2772 upvotes
Ottawa
I wish Arc System would just get back to working on Persona 5 Arena.
SigBro wrote: As for the free/not free games, it's a lost cause for anyone trying to have a discussion with you about it because there's always a twinge of rage in your comments if one person sees it one way and you see it another and don't agree with it.