Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
EB Games

EB Games Trade Deal - $50 for PS4 controller, $30 for PS3 controller. August 11-13 only.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 9:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5308 posts
1248 upvotes
I had given a Dualshock (PS3) to a friend and only had a non Dualshock at home. Stopped by my friend's house, swapped controllers and went to EB Games. Put up the $30 against the (next) Uncharted pre-order. ;)

P.S. Friend didn't care, he barely plays anymore. Plus I had bought a 2nd PS4 controller just for the few times he comes around my place to play Madden.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
4320 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote: I am no fan of eb just like most of you here. However, gotta give credit when due, $50 for ps4 controller is fair. Condition of controller is solely dependent on you, possibly on Sony (if defective), eb has nothing to do with it. I traded launch ps4 controller that looked like new, so I had no problem. Wear and tear is just that, I wouldn't accept worn controllers either.
I think he's mad because his 1+ year old used every day for 10 hours a day controller that probably went back in time to battle through WWII was declined by EB Games employees. Definitely don't think he's mad about EB giving $50 credit for controllers. Mad about not getting that credit luls.
Oct 9, 2013
159 posts
58 upvotes
Peterborough
Thanks...grabbed 2 of my 3 PS3 controllers ( =gave them a quick wipedown) and got an easy 60$ credit on my card.....awesome deal for a system collecting dust....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
For those looking for pre orders to save the tax, ni no kuni 2 wont be released till Jan so its a decent choice since you can swap it during boxing week or black friday week.
Nov 24, 2013
115 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Was able to trade in 4 ps3 controllers and 2 PS4 controllers. For $220. Ended up getting a 3ds xl for $22 after tax. The store didn’t care about the condition of the controllers. Both PS4 controllers had serious wear and tear with damaged buttons. The 2/4 ps3 controllers had no anolog padding. None of the controllers had been cleaned or powered on for 5 years for ps3. And 2 years for PS4. Not even sure if they even work. Told the clerk that they are excess controllers that haven’t been used in years so not sure if they work. She said it s all good because the going in a pile anyways. Not sure what she meant by that. But I appreciate it that she was being anal about the condition of the controllers. If I knew that was the case I would of brought in my other PS4 controller that is missing a RT button. Thanks op for the heads up.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2010
1166 posts
492 upvotes
Ottawa
I am tempted to sell one of my Day 1, DS4's that has a weak battery (only lasts about 2 or 3 hours).
I would then buy another DS4 to replace it. I have noticed that many of you are using the cash on games, will eb let me use the cash on another DS4?
My guess is that it would be around $25+tax after the trade in for a new DS4?

Does anyone know if the DS4's they sell are the latest gen ones that have the led on the touchpad?
All the pictures on their website still show the traditional DS4's

Also is it true that the new DS4's don't work well with some phone earbud headphone/mic's ?

Any other differences between first gen DS4 and newest model that i should be aware of?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5873 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
I hadn't been to an EB in well over a year (maybe even closer to 2) and going there tonight reminded me why. They are still hiring the same douchebags they always have.

I had 2 PS4 controllers, both cosmetically fine, I even windexed them before going there. Of course they treated me like a criminal. The douchebag at this location inspected them and noticed the smallest (I mean smallest) tear on the one analog rubber part and said not taking this one. When he couldn't find any fault with the second one he said the writing/sticker part on the back where the UPC is was too faded and said no to that one too and walked away.

I drove about 10 minutes to the closest EB and encountered another one. This douchebag examined them so close up to his face I thought he was going to pull out one of those magnifiers that jewelers put in their eye when they examine diamonds. He too noticed the tear (it really was so small of a tear it was laughable) and said he couldn't take that one. On the second one he didn't care about the worn out label part on the back but determined that the touch pad had an issue. He said the space on the part of the touchpad near the light had too big of a gap and couldn't take it either. I was annoyed at this point and pointed out that the space was normal, all controllers had the same space there and it wasn't any bigger than any other and that the rubber grip was so small it wasn't even noticeable. He then gave me a spiel about selling the controllers for $60 so they had to be perfect then pulled a repackaged used one off the shelf to show me. He was speechless when I pointed out that the used one they were selling was missing the one rubber part on the analog stick entirely. The other guy that was working there with him said just do the trade man its cool and that was it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
mrinterested wrote: I am tempted to sell one of my Day 1, DS4's that has a weak battery (only lasts about 2 or 3 hours).
I would then buy another DS4 to replace it. I have noticed that many of you are using the cash on games, will eb let me use the cash on another DS4?

Does anyone know if the DS4's they sell are the latest gen ones that have the led on the touchpad?

Also is it true that the new DS4's don't work well with some phone earbud headphone/mic's ?

Any other differences between first gen DS4 and newest model that i should be aware of?
Nope... they ate pretty much the same except i think 2nd gen can play via usb or BT but that really doesnt matter. Battery life, distance, etc are all pretty much the same.
Dec 8, 2013
781 posts
726 upvotes
British Columbia
Has anyone seen EB stores with Switches in stock? If I trade in my ps4 + extra ds4 controller but they don't have the switch in stock how does that work?

I want to try and save on the tax... and while we're at it, anyone know the TIV for a Wii U 32GB Mario Kart Deluxe set?
Customer of:
Rogers/Red Wireless and Fizz Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
mrinterested wrote: I am tempted to sell one of my Day 1, DS4's that has a weak battery (only lasts about 2 or 3 hours).

The new controllers with the light shining through the touchpad (I'll call them rev2) have been out for a while, so I'm guessing most stores at least carry them.

I have tried 3 earbuds with my rev2 DS4. First of all, there is a setting in the PS4 devices menu where you can set the connection mode for the rev2 controllers between bluetooth and USB. Sony claims that USB mode reduces latency, but people have done tests and it seems to make no difference. Some people even say that the latency is ever so slightly worse than just running them in bluetooth mode/wireless.

With that said, with the 3 earbuds I've tried plugged into the controller, I noticed a very faint buzzing noise, BUT only when the controller is plugged in USB mode. If you set the connection type to bluetooth in the PS4 device menu, they perform exactly the same as the rev1 controllers and there's no buzzing noise. FWIW, the people I play with haven't complained about my mic in voice chat, but I just set the connection type to bluetooth just in case.

I think the quality control and materials used in the newer models have significantly improved, even with the models before rev2. I've been using my rev2 controller since release and the sticks look exactly the same as day 1. And the triggers don't squeak like my older controllers have.

I traded in my older DS4 for $50 no problem. Used the credit on a $50 PSN card that I'll probably use for the Destiny 2 expansion pass.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10962 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Bought a PS4 controller in 2015 from the Best Buy price errors at $25+tax. It hasn't been opened or used so the battery might not be in good shape from lack of charge. Anyone know if the battery would be impacted from just sitting in the box? Going to trade it in and wait for a sale to get another PS4 controller.

Very hesitant to trade a DS3. I have two but I will be keeping the console so not having two would be a bummer. The sixaxis is not the same.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4747 upvotes
Montreal
You can buy a new Dualshock4 if you want

Make sure to get model CUH-ZCT2U (which is gen2)

The newer DualShock 4 (CUH-ZCT2) is currently available in Jet Black, Glacier White, Green Camouflage, Wave Blue (blue back), Magma Red (red back), Gold and Silver.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualShock
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4747 upvotes
Montreal
thechampion116 wrote: Bought a PS4 controller in 2015 from the Best Buy price errors at $25+tax. It hasn't been opened or used so the battery might not be in good shape from lack of charge. Anyone know if the battery would be impacted from just sitting in the box? Going to trade it in and wait for a sale to get another PS4 controller.
Should not be a problem, trade that
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4747 upvotes
Montreal
whoa-albert wrote: My launch controllers still have the rubbers on the analogs. You just didn't take care of your controller. Not EB Games' fault.
"Some initially released DualShock 4's (estimated at around 10%) had wear issues with the rubber surface on the left analogue stick which exhibited excessive wear or tearing after short term use. In January 2014 Sony issued a statement acknowledging an issue on a small percentage of controllers.[31]"

Don't be too quick to judge, some launch edition dualshock4 were bad
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
cashinstinct wrote: "Some initially released DualShock 4's (estimated at around 10%) had wear issues with the rubber surface on the left analogue stick which exhibited excessive wear or tearing after short term use. In January 2014 Sony issued a statement acknowledging an issue on a small percentage of controllers.[31]"

Don't be too quick to judge, some launch edition dualshock4 were bad
I think you missed the main point, its not eb fault that controllers are in bad condition. That should be attributed to user and/or Sony. Whether eb would accept that condition is completely up to them, which is reasonable.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4747 upvotes
Montreal
Andro wrote: I think you missed the main point, its not eb fault that controllers are in bad condition. That should be attributed to user and/or Sony. Whether eb would accept that condition is completely up to them, which is reasonable.
I agree that EB does not have to take them.

However, the other poster accused the user of not taking care of his/her controller
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1796 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
kindred_99 wrote: I hadn't been to an EB in well over a year (maybe even closer to 2) and going there tonight reminded me why. They are still hiring the same douchebags they always have.
Regardless of some common problems with EB games company I never encounter any problem with an EB game employee and I being in a lot of locations all around GTA. Actually totally opposite experience the employees are always ver helpful and with good atitude.

Be real you just sour because you tried to unload a slightly damaged controller and they didnt allow you.

The employees are following the company rules why they are going to jepardize their jobs because of you? You went to 2 EB games locations and BOTH employees caught your controller is in bad condition. At the end EB games is NOT charity it is business.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3204 posts
1376 upvotes
Quebec
Boooncant find cheap controllers tonabuse this
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10962 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
cashinstinct wrote: Should not be a problem, trade that
Thanks. I did some research and it's the initial set of controllers so I am going to trade and wait for a revision2 controller.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5873 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote: Regardless of some common problems with EB games company I never encounter any problem with an EB game employee and I being in a lot of locations all around GTA. Actually totally opposite experience the employees are always ver helpful and with good atitude.

Be real you just sour because you tried to unload a slightly damaged controller and they didnt allow you.

The employees are following the company rules why they are going to jepardize their jobs because of you? You went to 2 EB games locations and BOTH employees caught your controller is in bad condition. At the end EB games is NOT charity it is business.
I was sour because of the attitude. They seemed to be looking for reasons not to accept them. The way they reacted was dismissive and rude which from my experience has been par for the course at EB. I wish I could have taken a picture to show you how tiny the tear was then you would see how ridiculously picky they were being but even if they had a legitimate reason to reject them they way they acted was not how you treat a customer. Then coming up with other excuses such as worn out label on the back or the space between the touchpad being too big were laughable. I don't expect charity but if they are running promos like this and acting like pricks it defeats the purpose, especially when you see people here saying that theirs weren't even looked at or were accepted regardless of the condition.