Expired Hot Deals

[EB Games] EB Games Trade Deal - $50 for PS4 controller, $30 for PS3 controller. August 11-13 only.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 5:15 pm
Feb 10, 2010
712 posts
187 upvotes
Ajax, ON
kindred_99 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:32 am
I was sour because of the attitude. They seemed to be looking for reasons not to accept them. The way they reacted was dismissive and rude which from my experience has been par for the course at EB. I wish I could have taken a picture to show you how tiny the tear was then you would see how ridiculously picky they were being but even if they had a legitimate reason to reject them they way they acted was not how you treat a customer. Then coming up with other excuses such as worn out label on the back or the space between the touchpad being too big were laughable. I don't expect charity but if they are running promos like this and acting like pricks it defeats the purpose, especially when you see people here saying that theirs weren't even looked at or were accepted regardless of the condition.
Whatever kido. Lots of people getting on this promo with out an issue guess why...because their controllers were in GOOD condition.

Nobody is acting like pricks..or treading you like a criminal, I find hard to believe TWO diferent locations denied your controller because they are douchbags like you called them. Again they are doing their jobs to screen the controllers and refuse the bad ones, you already accepted your controller has a slightly tear damage but you still want them to pay you full and come here insulting the employees and with all this drama show. "They treated me like a criminal" lol

I am going to trade 2 ps3 controllers will report my awful and traumatic experience later.
Penalty Box
Oct 30, 2013
1764 posts
1069 upvotes
Ottawa
kindred_99 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:32 am
I was sour because of the attitude. They seemed to be looking for reasons not to accept them. The way they reacted was dismissive and rude which from my experience has been par for the course at EB. I wish I could have taken a picture to show you how tiny the tear was then you would see how ridiculously picky they were being but even if they had a legitimate reason to reject them they way they acted was not how you treat a customer. Then coming up with other excuses such as worn out label on the back or the space between the touchpad being too big were laughable. I don't expect charity but if they are running promos like this and acting like pricks it defeats the purpose, especially when you see people here saying that theirs weren't even looked at or were accepted regardless of the condition.
Honestly, if they were being rude about it, and the condition of the controllers was indeed fine, I personally would have pulled out my phone and recorded the incident. With a promise to them that corporate would see the video if they continued in the negative way.

Might be a scare tactic, but you'd be surprised how effective it is.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3965 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:45 am
Whatever kido. Lots of people getting on this promo with out an issue guess why...because their controllers were in GOOD condition.

Nobody is acting like pricks..or treading you like a criminal, I find hard to believe TWO diferent locations denied your controller because they are douchbags like you called them. Again they are doing their jobs to screen the controllers and refuse the bad ones, you already accepted your controller has a slightly tear damage but you still want them to pay you full and come here insulting the employees and with all this drama show. "They treated me like a criminal" lol

I am going to trade 2 ps3 controllers will report my awful and traumatic experience later.
Kido? I think you mean kiddo but ok. You seem really defensive on their behalf for some reason. Maybe you just want to pick a fight.

You hadn't even seen my controller so you have no way of knowing its condition and people here have clearly stated that they traded controllers with tears without problems or without the employee even examining them. I hadn't thought of taking a picture but if you had seen how tiny the tear was maybe you would think differently.

Lets ignore the fact that they were selling controllers that were missing the rubber grip entirely.

For those that were rejected due to tears perhaps buying one of their $10 thumbgrip things to replace them would be good enough? I considered it before they accepted mine.

Anyway I'm not here to pick a fight, lets move on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8031 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kindred_99 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:54 am
Kido? I think you mean kiddo but ok. You seem really defensive on their behalf for some reason. Maybe you just want to pick a fight.

You hadn't even seen my controller so you have no way of knowing its condition and people here have clearly stated that they traded controllers with tears without problems or without the employee even examining them. I hadn't thought of taking a picture but if you had seen how tiny the tear was maybe you would think differently.

Lets ignore the fact that they were selling controllers that were missing the rubber grip entirely.

For those that were rejected due to tears perhaps buying one of their $10 thumbgrip things to replace them would be good enough? I considered it before they accepted mine.

Anyway I'm not here to pick a fight, lets move on.
Just because some locations are more lenient with their promo doesn't mean others have to do the same. You had a damaged controller, the location denied it. Move on or keep looking for a location that is more lenient. Its not EB fault that your controller is damaged (whether the damage is 1 or 100% does not matter), call Sony to complain if you feel the controller is subpar. If the controller is not in good condition, pending their determination, they can deny it. Moreover, they can discontinue promo at any time, according to their t and c. No need to be so dramatic, they are within their rights to deny you if they want.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3965 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:59 am
Just because some locations are more lenient with their promo doesn't mean others have to do the same. You had a damaged controller, the location denied it. Move on or keep looking for a location that is more lenient. Its not EB fault that your controller is damaged (whether the damage is 1 or 100% does not matter), call Sony to complain if you feel the controller is subpar. If the controller is not in good condition, pending their determination, they can deny it. Moreover, they can discontinue promo at any time, according to their t and c. No need to be so dramatic, they are within their rights to deny you if they want.
That's what I did, found another location. That is why I posted here so others might try the same thing.
Mar 20, 2012
471 posts
292 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
To be fair, if i'm gonna spend $50 on a PS4 controller, I would expect it new or in mint condition. I sold a brand new gold DS4 for $45 via Kijiji last month, the guy opened the box and examined closely, and i think it's normal.
Apr 8, 2007
687 posts
106 upvotes
Milton
yoort1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:30 pm
I have mushy buttons on my first generation DS4. It is still functional though. I think rubber pads are worn out. Can I still get full credit?
I just traded in a ps4 at my local EB. My right stick had a bit of a tear and they didn't seem to mind. The mushy buttons might be a deal breaker though. The CSR pressed all the buttons multiple times to make sure they weren't sticky/mushy. Worth a shot though, worst case they turn you down.

rhinos wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:05 am
To be fair, if i'm gonna spend $50 on a PS4 controller, I would expect it new or in mint condition. I sold a brand new gold DS4 for $45 via Kijiji last month, the guy opened the box and examined closely, and i think it's normal.
You are more generous than I. When I sell brand new in box items, as soon as they take the box, it's theirs. If they open a brand new item and change their mind for whatever reason, you can no longer sell that item as brand new in box even though it is and lose out on some cash. Lack of warranty is a risk with buying BNIB off of kijiji that the buyer should be ok with.
Feb 10, 2010
712 posts
187 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I just traded 2 ps3 controllers and a bunch of ps3 games...total $160.

My experience: They did check both controllers and they asked for my ID. If you spend your credits right away they will NOT charge you taxes.

I brought all my ps3 games that were collecting dust just to know if I can get anything for them, the employee told me right now is a promotion that you get extra credits for your ps3 games and probably will be the last promotion for ps3 games as Sony is taking slowly away the support for ps3 (no idea if is true or not) honestly I was surprise all but one of my games got accepted and I got $100 for them. My experience was smooth and I got way more of what I was expecting.

Cheers.
Penalty Box
Oct 30, 2013
1764 posts
1069 upvotes
Ottawa
Reporting my traumatic experience at EB Games. :P

Sep 18, 2008
464 posts
74 upvotes
Traded in 2 PS3 controllers and 1 PS4 controller for $110 today and just slapped it on an edge card was not interested in buying any game full price. Will just wait until Black Friday/Boxing Day and spend the credits on games that are on sale :)...
Feb 7, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Kitchener
Traded 4 ps 4 controller one had rubber tear on both analoge sticks and the said it is ok and accepted it.
Aug 9, 2012
7 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
Can anyone tell me what are the minimum requirements that EB Games needs in order for them to consider accepting your controller and/or system (i.e. is the controller by itself enough or do you need the controller and the charging cable?)? Reason I ask is because I'm interested in selling my ps3 controller and my ps3, but I don't have the HDMI cable for the PS3 and I lost the charging cable for the ps3 controller.
Nov 13, 2016
130 posts
37 upvotes
traded one of my PS3 and PS4 controllers for $80 in store credit!

Nice deal.

Btw, today is the last day for this offer. So you better hurry up to your nearest EB Games!
Last edited by tonedcarrot on Aug 12th, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 13, 2016
130 posts
37 upvotes
Liv3urway wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:12 pm
Can anyone tell me what are the minimum requirements that EB Games needs in order for them to consider accepting your controller and/or system (i.e. is the controller by itself enough or do you need the controller and the charging cable?)? Reason I ask is because I'm interested in selling my ps3 controller and my ps3, but I don't have the HDMI cable for the PS3 and I lost the charging cable for the ps3 controller.
For the PS3 controller, you do not need the charging cable. As for the PS3, as long as you have the power cable you should be good to go.
Aug 9, 2012
7 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
tonedcarrot wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:15 pm
For the PS3 controller, you do not need the charging cable. As for the PS3, as long as you have the power cable you should be good to go.
Awesome! I'll go to my nearby EB Games and see if it works out.