Page 3 of 3

Re: EB Games new promos starting the 29th of December

Posted: Jan 4th, 2013 2:55 pm
by fatal15
cashinstinct wrote: Easily, no...

Some clerk did put my trade credit on a store credit... before trying to get me a $60 giftcard (when they had T2 get $60 giftcard). She was not supposed to do it in 2 steps.

The system did not let her give me a giftcard using store credit + house account.

I had to get my giftcard from house account and they kept my store credit card + receipts.

You can try your luck !
Damn, well thanks

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 8:18 am
by Chewie212
I have a question regarding EB Games' trade-in promos and a particular policy governing them.

At the beginning of this month (approximately 7 or 8 days ago), I went in to EB with eight games. All of them were worth $15 or more, and my plan was to do four trade 2 promotions. So, I called ahead, asked about the trade-in values, and then planned to go up the next day. Which I did.

Here's where the issue arose:

Although all eight games qualified under the trade 2 parameters, the CSR on duty told me that she didn't think the promotion was available "due to Boxing Day." She was under the impression that the shopping day's particular deals had led to the company getting rid of trade 2 for the time being. It made some sense, but I questioned it. She told me that the computer didn't process it that way, and also called a manager, who said he didn't think it was on. So I settled for what I could get through the +30% promo and received the equivalent of three pre-orders as opposed to four.

This morning, I received the new digital flyer. It lists that a trade 2 is available for three specific games (God of War, BioShock: Infinite and Gears of War: Judgement). I assumed it was new, but I checked their site to see what would qualify anyways. There I found out that it started on December 26, which is what's stated in the fine print.

"Starting on December 26 and running until February 3..." - paraphrased

Am I screwed? Or would I be able to get them to double check the transaction and maybe change it because of employee error? I shouldn't lose out on sixty dollars because of that, when I explicitly asked to do trade 2s.

Note: None of the games I traded in were hoarded or purchased with the intention of trading. They were simply gifts I played through.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 8:45 am
by joeyl
Chewie212 wrote: Am I screwed? Or would I be able to get them to double check the transaction and maybe change it because of employee error? I shouldn't lose out on sixty dollars because of that, when I explicitly asked to do trade 2s.
If you think they're mistaken, never settle for "whatever they're offering". CSRs and managers at most retail stores (not just EB) are usually totally clueless. They'll always be 100% sure of things when you ask them something, and most of the time they'll be 100% wrong. If you can't show proof in store (like going to their website on your phone), simply go home and double check first before you believe them (or go to a different store). It's very unlikely that they will want to fix this, but it can't hurt to try :)

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 8:49 am
by cashinstinct
Trades are final, you are in difficult situation.

You can never trust EB. They think their 30% promo is awesome, we know it's junk.

When you have games over $15, never settle for 30% promo...

Sorry for your loss of TIV, try your luck but don't expect much.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 8:53 am
by Chewie212
Thanks for the replies.

I figure I'm (expletive) out of luck, but thought it'd be worth asking here and giving them a call when they open. I've never run into an issue like this before, and should have waited. However, when she told me that the computer system didn't automatically trade them in through that option and also called the manager, I assumed it wasn't on. I shouldn't have, but she's worked there for a little while now, and the managers at that store are generally quite knowledgeable and helpful.

I asked her if she knew of any upcoming trade 2 promos, or if there was anything else coming in January. Her response was, "This is what we have for January." Since I'm fifteen minutes away from the store and rarely go up there, I decided to do the trade. Granted, that was because I assumed what the manager had said was correct.

What worried me was that they'd lower the trade-in values within the next few days, and I'd lose out. Quite a few of the games were on-sale during Boxing Day, though that's not when I got them.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2013 9:39 am
by Chewie212
I called the store, and was told to wait until Friday when a manager is in.

Since I was still intrigued and wanted to find out more, I called EB Games' customer service line. It happened to be the US one, but that's what was listed on EBGames.ca.

Anyways, the guy seemed somewhat confused, and said that it picked the +30% increase promo because you can only do one trade 2 per day. In my previous experience, that isn't the case, as I've done two or three in one day before trading in titles from my collection. The website's fine print also does not say one per customer.

Posted: Jan 10th, 2013 11:23 pm
by GP Legend
I traded in a bunch of older games for $75 total after the bump.

PS3:
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - $4
The Sly Collection - $6
Jak and Daxter Collection - $6
Prince of Persia Trilogy - $2
Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND - $7
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus collection - $7
Bleach: Soul Resurreccion - $4
Dante's Inferno - $6

Wii:
No More Heroes 2 - $3

Prices are before bump, obviously.