Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
EB Games

Steam Link (New) - $17.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 1:36 pm
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
hystavito wrote: I mean specifically the ability to launch any software via the Steam Link, Chrome for browsing, maybe KODI, whatever.
He was suggesting alt+tab, this would actually switch between the steam client software and your regular desktop, so you wouldn't even need to launch apps from steam, steam will get minimized and you would have full access to your desktop.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
aasoror wrote: He was suggesting alt+tab, this would actually switch between the steam client software and your regular desktop, so you wouldn't even need to launch apps from steam, steam will get minimized and you would have full access to your desktop.
Sorry if I'm going around in circles, but what I'm trying to find out is if that can be done on a Mac. I have a friend that only has a Mac and I'm wondering if we can use the Steam Link to "extend" his Mac to his TV and run media apps, browsers, etc.
May 11, 2014
488 posts
217 upvotes
MTL, QC
hystavito wrote: Sorry if I'm going around in circles, but what I'm trying to find out is if that can be done on a Mac. I have a friend that only has a Mac and I'm wondering if we can use the Steam Link to "extend" his Mac to his TV and run media apps, browsers, etc.
Yes my friend you can. You have to activate it from the Steam link menu. A little proof bellow :)
Mac mirroring with Steam Link
Dec 19, 2006
517 posts
465 upvotes
hystavito wrote: Sorry if I'm going around in circles, but what I'm trying to find out is if that can be done on a Mac. I have a friend that only has a Mac and I'm wondering if we can use the Steam Link to "extend" his Mac to his TV and run media apps, browsers, etc.
Yep! I've done it successfully with both. It's an easy and convenient option for putting whatever's on your computer (Mac or PC) on your TV.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1427 posts
786 upvotes
Edmonton
Finally snagged one in Leduc (there was 1 left when I bought mine), all out of stock in Edmonton. Sale might end this weekend.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
Picked up 2 in Chatham, paid $2.50 for the years protection, not sure why... hooked one up to try, so far, I am finding it won't run much... but, I have a regular PC, do I need a gaming PC to use this effectively for steam games?
Also, I have it connected via ethernet to a switch... are people saying it should be run with an ethernet cable to the host PC if possible instead? I am a little confused there.
How do I mirror Chrome or Kodi? I only tried it connected via steam.
Last thing, I plugged in a ps4 controller, worked okay, but should I be able to connect it to be used via BT as well? That is not working for me, will only work if plugged in with Micro USB cable.

TIA.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Anyone in Mississauga want to buy mine? I bought it, Eb games won't take back returns on opened items, I should've checked the return policy, but didn't think anything of it as its hardware.

Selling for what I paid, and will provide you with receipt. $20.33,located in Mississauga.
Nov 26, 2011
191 posts
55 upvotes
SURREY
So this has to be used with a PC? It's not a stand alone steam box? Meaning...can I just hoook this up to my tv and browse the steam library
Sep 19, 2003
285 posts
327 upvotes
Winnipeg
bubski27 wrote: So this has to be used with a PC? It's not a stand alone steam box? Meaning...can I just hoook this up to my tv and browse the steam library
Yea this isn't a steam box but a steam link so it is intended to stream programs from your actual gaming PC and just display it on your tv or wherever you have the steam link hooked up.
Dec 17, 2014
266 posts
168 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: Picked up 2 in Chatham, paid $2.50 for the years protection, not sure why... hooked one up to try, so far, I am finding it won't run much... but, I have a regular PC, do I need a gaming PC to use this effectively for steam games?
Also, I have it connected via ethernet to a switch... are people saying it should be run with an ethernet cable to the host PC if possible instead? I am a little confused there.
How do I mirror Chrome or Kodi? I only tried it connected via steam.
Last thing, I plugged in a ps4 controller, worked okay, but should I be able to connect it to be used via BT as well? That is not working for me, will only work if plugged in with Micro USB cable.

TIA.
A wired LAN connection is a must, but not directly to the PC. The default max in its settings are 100mbit anyway so any old switch will do. You don't need a super gaming PC. Many titles (unless they are FPS) will appear identical on the link as on your PC. Google PS4 controller pairing with a steam link. The instructions come up right away. If you exit 'big picture mode' in the menu options, you'll have complete access to your host PC desktop. If you have Kodi installed and configured on your PC, from the steam client on the PC, you can add a non-steam 'game' (you basically select the shortcut off your desktop). This applies to Origin games as well but perhaps my rig is too old as I saw too many performance issues with the few titles I tried.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
canuckistanian44 wrote: A wired LAN connection is a must, but not directly to the PC. The default max in its settings are 100mbit anyway so any old switch will do. You don't need a super gaming PC. Many titles (unless they are FPS) will appear identical on the link as on your PC. Google PS4 controller pairing with a steam link. The instructions come up right away. If you exit 'big picture mode' in the menu options, you'll have complete access to your host PC desktop. If you have Kodi installed and configured on your PC, from the steam client on the PC, you can add a non-steam 'game' (you basically select the shortcut off your desktop). This applies to Origin games as well but perhaps my rig is too old as I saw too many performance issues with the few titles I tried.
Thanks,
From the wiki someone linked I see the way to link a PS4 controller. I tried to run goatsimulator just to test it, but on my PC it came up with a video error of some sort, will have to try something else.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1733 posts
789 upvotes
I've been having a hard time running some games that aren't from Steam and I can't see my mouse cursor when I tab over to my desktop. Neutral Face Still, not bad. I may never use it though just like my PS Vita TV hahaha

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)